Trip to Gettysburg National Military Park

1958 F.W.D.

I went to Gettysburg College and as posted previously I was a member of GFD and now own their 1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike". Frankly, you were better off to do the trip the way you did and not during reenactment week.... It's just a zoo. Better to see a smaller reenactment somewhere else or one in Gettysburg that takes place not during the first week of July.

Fantastic way to spend time with your son. My oldest (about to turn 8) has the same fascination with the Revolution as Medium has with the Civil War. Took him to Boston (Lexington & Concord) three years ago and to DC (Mount Vernon) two years ago and he l loved it.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

What a great time you two must have had. You're a great Dad. I love all that stuff myself. We used to have a Rev. Estes in our town from the Protestant Church who was a major civil war buff and he could tell a story with exceptional skill. I loved to hear him talk about the battles when they invited him into the school to teach. Those were very trying times and I'm quite sure that unless you experience something of that magnitude first hand, you can only begin to fathom the bravery and carnage that took place. At any rate I appreciate the pictures and the story. It's great that you overcame the obstacles and made it all work out. He will never forget that trip!

Thanks again

Greg

We live adjacent to the Chancellor battlefield in an area that was heavily occupied by both sides at one time or another. We have found a few relics on the property including a lead dice that was probably made out of a bullet. I'm sure was used in the same way that dice are still used today.

There is a lot of things that make you stand in awe of what happened during the Civil War, but the one that always stands out the most to me was that over 60 pounds of ordinance was used for every casualty that occurred. Think about how many casualties happened and that a man and/or a mule had to move all of that munitions. Quite an accomplishment.

The total death count is really unknown, but most historians place it between 650,000 to 750,000.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Well done, Randy!

That's cool the kid has interests in history and such the event you provided with him was the best of what you could do.

Thanks for the report about your activities, interesting to learn those facts.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

It's awesome that you were able to have some quality 1-on-1 time with one of your kids when you have 3 more at home. We only have 2 and when they were small a situation like that would have to be handled "delicately". Then again, we were dealing with females. :whistling:

Kudos to Shane for having such a keen interest in history.

• Like 1

Jim

I offered to "Large" to come along but when he found out that there may or may not be Wi-Fi at the campground, he politely turned it down. He and I will do something together, I always try to make time for each kid (even if it's something as simple for just going out for pizza) as well as them all as a group.

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

When you go to the Carolinas on your family vacation you should cut the trip short and take the crew to the Keystone Tractor Museum, then take rt. 460 west to Appomattox, so medium can take in the surrender grounds and Museum there. Then drop by over here and i'll make you some barbecue!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

When you go to the Carolinas on your family vacation you should cut the trip short and take the crew to the Keystone Tractor Museum, then take rt. 460 west to Appomattox, so medium can take in the surrender grounds and Museum there. Then drop by over here and i'll make you some barbecue!

I proposed the idea of the Keystone Tractor Museum to SWMBO and she laughed hysterically. I don't know if that's good or bad?

I proposed the idea of the Keystone Tractor Museum to SWMBO and she laughed hysterically. I don't know if that's good or bad?

She would like it too, they have something for everybody. They not only have tractors, but cars, trucks, and tons of antiques and displays around the perimeter of the building. And a gift shop too, with lots of diecast models, books, T shirts, etc.

If she goes and passes a lie detector test saying she didn't enjoy it, i'll give her her money back myself.

Or, she could always go to the pet store across the street and talk to the cockatoos.

She would like it too, they have something for everybody. They not only have tractors, but cars, trucks, and tons of antiques and displays around the perimeter of the building. And a gift shop too, with lots of diecast models, books, T shirts, etc.

If she goes and passes a lie detector test saying she didn't enjoy it, i'll give her her money back myself.

She and I have an agreement- I don't make her go to truck shows, firetruck shows, etc.....and she doesn't make me go shopping or other girly shit with her......It's an agreement that works out quite well. I would prefer not to test it's success thus far or else I might find myself in a mall a week later losing 6 hours of my life as she looks at clothing.

**EDIT: She does like to go to the Family Picnic at Macungie for the music and family atmosphere, and will make an *occasional* appearance at the show itself if her work schedule allows and she is in the area (she's a visiting nurse and does do visits out that way) but thats usually just to stop by and say Hi and have lunch. She does not walk around the show...

She and I have an agreement- I don't make her go to truck shows, firetruck shows, etc.....and she doesn't make me go shopping or other girly shit with her......It's an agreement that works out quite well. I would prefer not to test it's success thus far or else I might find myself in a mall a week later losing 6 hours of my life as she looks at clothing.

they sell clothes at the gift shop too...lots of clothes...and shoes, they're loaded with shoes.

• Like 1