What is it?

daveigou

Ok. you cant tease me like that! a DART? did they ever make it west of the mississippi? or was this a east coast rig for the most part. I did get the r series ih cab also, but never heard of a DART it almost looks like a fwd but not quite. judging by the hood length it looks loke a 12v71 would fit!

You are right, PACCAR (Pete and Kenworth parent co.) bought Dart in the middle 50's

One of the PACDARTS is in Mineral, Kansas on display.

post-3242-0-51344400-1436478733_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

There is one in Kansas on display at the American Truck Historical Society headquarters.

Interesting GMC Diesel badge on the hood. I don't think I have seen that before. That was before they were popularly called Detroit Diesel. Most truck builders would not want to put a competitors name so prominently on thier product. Even though Dart built many specialized large trucks, some of thier trucks would have been matched by GMC models. (On second thought it was possibly put there after a repower)

Dart was also a user of LeRoi V8 gas engines.

• Like 1

I didn't poke around it much, I want to ask the owner's permission before I do, but it was a tractor originally because of the tapered frame rails. They were added to mount the dump body. Rears were not terrible heavy, maybe 38's, probably Timken's. Truck could probably be saved.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/