1963 C85 Pumper

ff6cav

.2 v is not much of a drop the inside of the ignition switch does wear out but seems more like a ground issue from the instrument panel back to the frame or cab ground to battery ground

Sounds like you lost ground somewhere but yes ignition switch is a possibility I would throw shooting a bunch of WD-40 between the  plastic and the steel on the backside of the switch wherever you can find an opening other than that you could probably just go to AutoZone and get a universal switch for it good luck partner thanks for keeping in touch but it looks great so far nice work bud… bob

I have a ‘63 C85 and hope to get it road worthy soon.  It will run rough if I drizzle gas in the carb.  I need to drop and clean / replace the gas tank as there seems to be lots of trash in it.  There’s no telling what the former owner (private) did with the truck.  He was not able to talk with me.  

My carburetor is very corroded and needs rebuilding or replacing.  Any ideas where to go for replacement or rebuild kit?  I also would like to upgrade the distributors to pertronix or similar.  Are the distributors the same units that would have been used in something else?  What should I be asking for?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Edited by v8steel

On 6/21/2022 at 8:00 PM, v8steel said:

I have a ‘63 C85 and hope to get it road worthy soon.  It will run rough if I drizzle gas in the carb.  I need to drop and clean / replace the gas tank as there seems to be lots of trash in it.  There’s no telling what the former owner (private) did with the truck.  He was not able to talk with me.  

My carburetor is very corroded and needs rebuilding or replacing.  Any ideas where to go for replacement or rebuild kit?  I also would like to upgrade the distributors to pertronix or similar.  Are the distributors the same units that would have been used in something else?  What should I be asking for?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

For the carb, rebuild kits are pretty ready available online, you'll just need the one for your specific model. A good place to check for the pertronix would be the Brillman Co, they also have plug wire sets for the 707.

• 1 month later...

Quick update- I've been continuing to get odds and ends done, slowly.  My "spare" time has been consumed by preparing our house to sell, and looking for our next house.  Assuming all inspections come back ok, we are currently under contract on a place with a 40x40 garage, which was really a huge selling point for me!  As far as the truck goes, I looked at the ignition switch again- I worked the switch back and forth a few times, then turned on the battery and checked the voltage again.  This time, the voltage read 6v both on the battery side and the outlet side of the switch.  I'm leaning towards bad batteries, as I'm getting between 10-11 volts at the batteries when I check them, and charging them hasn't changed that, so I'll pick up new ones and report back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You've done a marvelous job so far restoring your truck. I've been following along as I have recently purchased a 73 CF600. I see you are getting new batteries. Is your truck positive ground? Have you had any trouble wiring lights and radios? I just blew up a Motorola Mocom 70 radio that I was installing in my 73 before I figured out it was positive ground. Best wishes on your new home & shop purchase. :)

Ed

• 6 months later...

I haven’t been following this great progress bud thanks for the post and I also blew up a radio shack a.m. FM years ago in a white 9000. I just lied to the guy at the store and got a replacement. Just told him didn’t work. Bob

• 9 months later...

Quick update, I know it's been a long time 🙄 Our fixer-upper of a house has been taking all of my time and money since we moved in a little over a year ago, but I have managed to find time to tinker with the rig a little bit.  I tested the ignition switch with a known good battery, and all tested out ok, so I'm thinking the batteries in the rig are bad.  I also removed the carb and gave it a good cleaning, and may have narrowed down the no start issue to just bad gas; the gas in the carb was almost black in color, and thinking back to it, the gas had probably been sitting in the tank for about a year at the time I was working on it🤦‍♂️ The last time I was able to try starting it, I had spark and fuel getting to the carb, so theoretically good gas should do the trick.  I don't know why I didn't try putting fresh gas in the carb at the time, but that will be my next step after getting new batteries.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:49 PM, 73cf600 said:

You've done a marvelous job so far restoring your truck. I've been following along as I have recently purchased a 73 CF600. I see you are getting new batteries. Is your truck positive ground? Have you had any trouble wiring lights and radios? I just blew up a Motorola Mocom 70 radio that I was installing in my 73 before I figured out it was positive ground. Best wishes on your new home & shop purchase. :)

Ed

Thank you!  Yes, it is positive ground, I haven't had any issues as I'm using the existing lights and just replacing bulbs as needed.  I have considered putting in a converter to be able mount a hidden power plug and maybe a radio, but haven't fully decided on that yet.

• Like 1