Eaton 10 speed automatic

Sweat6116

I have a 1999 Mack Vision condo with a E7, 427 mated to an Eaton 10 speed automatic. It jumps a little when I give the truck fuel to take off, in reverse or forward gears. I don't know if this is symptomatic of this model, or if it needs transmission fluid. After starting to move, its good, no slippage or jumping, unless at slow speeds as when maneuvering to hook up or park. It shifts smooth as silk. Any info will help. BTW, this site is great for Mack owners and trucking enthusiasts. I've been driving for 24 years, but this is my first truck, first Mack that I've owned( I have been driving a 2013 Mack Pinnacle with the Mdrive 12 speed for 2 years now at my present employer) and I want to treat her right. She's 16 with 852,000 miles. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

No. It has no clutch pedal. I had wondered if it was normal. I feel like it's one of the earliest automatic transmissions in a big truck, being that it's a 99. That's good information. I figured it was like the new M drives. An air assisted mechanical clutch. Thanks guys. It's good to know that's normal. I'll have to get the hang of it and see if I can feather it a little.

I have a 1999 Mack Vision condo with a E7, 427 mated to an Eaton 10 speed automatic. It jumps a little when I give the truck fuel to take off, in reverse or forward gears. I don't know if this is symptomatic of this model, or if it needs transmission fluid. After starting to move, its good, no slippage or jumping, unless at slow speeds as when maneuvering to hook up or park. It shifts smooth as silk. Any info will help. BTW, this site is great for Mack owners and trucking enthusiasts. I've been driving for 24 years, but this is my first truck, first Mack that I've owned( I have been driving a 2013 Mack Pinnacle with the Mdrive 12 speed for 2 years now at my present employer) and I want to treat her right. She's 16 with 852,000 miles. Thanks guys.

The latest UltraShift Plus AMTs perform well, offering "Low speed maneuverability for docking and trailering" and "Creep Mode for maneuvering with continous low speed control".

It was the predecessor to the current UltraShift Plus, called UltraShift DM3, that used a centrifugal type clutch which engaged via engine speed. I believe you have a DM3. At slow speeds when parking or backing into a trailer, the driver would have to increase engine speed to get clutch engagement resulting in a difficult to control vehicle speed.

However with UltraShift Plus, Eaton added an electric clutch actuator so now the clutch can be engaged at idle, which significantly improves slow speed maneuvering.

Because the old and new UltraShifts are quite different, Eaton should have come up with an all-new name to avoid customer confusion.

Performance of the current UltraShift Plus AMT compares with the Detroit DT12 and Volvo I-Shift.

• Like 2

Because the old and new UltraShifts are quite different, Eaton should have come up with an all-new name to avoid customer confusion.

Performance of the current UltraShift Plus AMT compares with the Detroit DT12 and Volvo I-Shift.

One would think Eaton would go to great lengths to make it easy for customers to distinguish the "new and improved" models from the original. I'm curious what type of field testing Eaton did before deciding it was time to go public with the first UltraShifts.

Jim