I am sure Everyone will kill me over this one

Unusual question..... So I have a 1984 CF Fire Truck chassis with a Young walk in rescue body on it. This was the first fire truck I ever rode on in my late teens prior to my career in the fire service. I was able to get this unit back after years of service and final retirement and now personally own it. You guys have been helpful with a few other questions, but now I will put the one out there that is going to probably piss a bunch of fire truck buffs off, but here goes. Our goal with this truck is to turn it in to a parade piece / show piece. We want to take it back to the way it was when I knew it as a teenager, with the exception of the suspension. I am a very competent welder and could do a lot of this work myself, but I fear that I do not have heavy enough lifts and tools to put it all together. What I am shooting for is to modify the suspension on the truck and put a front and rear air bag system on the truck. We are looking for the completely stock truck with a hot rod look. We are in the Richmond Virginia area and I can not find any shops locally or within a reasonable distance that will take on this project. Has anyone ever lowered one of these trucks, done anything with airbags, or modified a CF in this manner. Also, does anyone know a custom shop in the Richmond area that does this kind of work? We are looking at a set of wheels from American Force in Florida (americanforce.com). Look in their gallery for the 29 Mack hot rod they did. They worked with a shop in Colorado to build it. This is the kind of look we are going for. The only two shops I know of are the Colorado shop and one in Texas. Thanks for all of your help, and yes I know I should probably leave the stance stock, but its mine, Ill never sell it, and it will never run another call. Its a look I've never seen on a CF and I appreciate any guidance the folks on this forum might have. Thank you so much.

I personally think it's a neat project. I agree on the choices Maint1 gave you. Remember one thing, it's your truck , you are the only one you have to please. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ashby Brake and Truck repair, Richmond.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sounds pretty straightforward really, convert the rear suspension to air ride, Id find an air ride axle in a junk yard with a slightly higher ratio to get you to shows a little easier, then the front you can get replacement air ride that uses one leaf and air bags on top iof the leaf, then just set it up with a switch inside for the dump section of the front and rear leveling valves and BAM! smooth air ride, better cruising rpm and slammed on command,lol.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

84 super dog, I'm really curious about what you are saying. I felt like this would have taken a serious amount of fabrication, and frame modification. The back seems pretty easy, but the front seemed harder. I figured I would have to notch the frame and raise the shock mounting points, and then fabricate the top and bottom mounting surfaces for the bags.

It may depend on how far you intend to drop it front and rear. I would assume that if you have to exceed the axel top to frame bottom dimension in vertical drop then you will need to modify things more significantly. You have to look at tire clearances as well as you might not be able to steer it or the tires will rub in the wells...Can you explain how much drop you are seeking vs some of these simple measurements?

Love the idea. It sounds cool.

I myself prefere stock vehicles although appreciate your idea.

As said above it might be difficult to lower it down extremely. So I would use some stock air ride axles with their attachment parts and put a valve.

So you might run it low and a common level both. Thinking well during modification you might keep a possibility to put your stock setup back. This way you just need to keep the original parts for.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I would see if you could find an air tech (sp) steer axel and just get hangers an valves. There is a truck scrap yard over by OD truck leasing off Maury St. I can't think of the name, but they have a lot of trucks there. Locally Abilene used them on Flt and Volvo. Having the leveling valve, spring hangers and axel would make it a frame to frame job, the steering would be the test.

You're right. You've pissed me off.

If it were a cookie-cutter 1000/500 CF Pumper that Mack turned out by the hundreds, I'd be like "Meh......It's not me, it's yours, do as you wish."

But this is a CF with a Young WALK-IN RESCUE BODY....rare enough to begin with, but now even more so as I can not recall any others in existence. And I know many of them. Therefore, i IMPLORE you to please re-consider. If you want a low-rider, get a Toyota or a Nissan or something. Or the aforementioned cookie-cutter 1000/500 pumper.

-Yardo

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Vladislav, great point.. And that might be the exact thing I'm looking for. If it's bolt on I can keep everything and if someone ever wanted to put it back completely stock that is the route I would take. I'll definitely follow up on that lead!!

1958 F.W.D I knew there would be someone out there!!! If everything we do is bolt on and can be put back without welding or cutting, then I feel better about it. As for the young body, it's actually the body off of the original chassis which was a 67 ford cabover, re chassied to the CF in 1984. I know it's rare, it was the first fire truck I ever rode on which is why I took it in and saved it. I want to keep it stock but give it a cool look, and if it's bolt on changes.... Who cares? I suspect even you would see it done and think it was neat. At least you'll know what it is when you see it and you can come yell at me in person!! ;) thanks for everyone's help!!