2004 460 E-7 are they any good?

MACK MAN

Looking at a 2004 with a 460,was 2004 a problem year?THe truck will be used as a local truck running about 350 miles a day,grossing 91,000 lbs.For some reason I thought that 2004 was a problem engine,I might be wrong.

Al

There were big changes made in 2004 to meet EPA emissions. An EGR system, variable geometry turbo and sensors/actuators to make the systems work. There were also changes made to the cooling system and the valve train. 2004 engines were problematic the first couple of years, but if the truck has been properly repaired and maintained over the years it should be OK now.

one would think 11 years down the road its had all the updates and troublesome turbo's and such replaced under warrnty.

I thought the same until one rolled into my bay with multiple issues. Absolutely no updates had been performed on the engine--all old school components on it from the old egr mass flow tube and cooler, oil supply lines to the turbo/egr valve....everything original. Had a broken exh. manifold center section, turbo vgt linkage was broken, egr cooler was held on by the coolant hoses and tubes....a mess. But, the owner ok'ed all repairs and updates.

To answer the OP, I think when they first came out they had their issues. But with the updates and so forth, they have proven to be some good engines. Still see them rolling around, working.

The 2004 Vision my brother had was so bad, Mack finally bought it back. for that reason alone,I wouldn't touch an '04 Vision with a 10 ft. pole. Alot of heat related issues,it melted coolant tanks and hoses,even caught fire once,I lost track after the 12th turbo.

Sad part is that even knowing it's history, they took it to Chicago and resold it(Mack,not the local dealer). It showed up a few years later at a repo auction and a company that a friend of mine in Big Rock,IL drives for bought it. He knew it was my brothers old one because it still had an old inspection sticker with our name on it. They ended up not keeping it long,who knows whose headache it is now.

They have the same bs issues every epa04 engine does, and some crappy turbos and egr components Mack has updated. We have one getting overhauled at 1.75million miles right now though, don't underestimate her if she's already broken in and taken care of.

• Like 1

2004 was the worst year. They stuffed the then "new " EGR motor into the CH/CX standard frame with no room for a bigger radiator. 2005 and up they came out with the CHN/CXN with wider frame rails in the front to allow for bigger radiators. Alot of engine updates came out in 05 and 06 to help with various issuses. I would hold out for a CHN or CXN,

The ASET-AC motors we had (from 2003-2007) were terrible. Even the CHN Rawhide which I loved had to go. Terrible on fuel and unreliable as heck. We got rid of all the ASET engines and kept the older E6,E7's,E-techs and traded up for MP series engines. Our MP's have been doing far better.