Fabrication day

A day welding beats a day dealing with the BS on the road any day. Heck, my day started off being run off the road by a cop who didn't bother checking his mirrors before sliding over inches from the bumper of the vehicle that had just cut me off. Considering my bumper was even with his driver's door, you'd THINK he would've seen me. My air horn didn't even seem to phase him...I SHOULD'VE just let him hit me & sent him spinning off into the median, but there's too much paperwork involved in that. Worst part was he wasn't even interested in the dumbass that had cut me off...he was out of his jurisdiction. St Louis County cop on the Illinois side of the river. Oh well...45 miles 'til the weekend. Gonna spend it trying to figure out why the TH400 trans in the new-to-us 1990 GMC Suburban (3/4 ton 4x4) is spitting tranny fluid from the vent...and dig into why the F250 roasted my jumper cables last weekend. Have yet to install the new battery. By the way...in THIS end of the state, we've been in the upper 40's to mid 50's for the past week.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I spent enough time up that way in my younger years. I'll take the Southern heat over the northern cold any day...much easier to find a shade tree and sip on an icy cold beverage to cool off than it is to try working with 20 layers of clothes and thick insulated gloves to keep warm.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I'd say good start on that bed.

And those torch cut holes seem pretty round on my display.

Good luck on the project and keep your feet warm :)

You're right about the feet Vlad- If your feets are warm it's not too bad being outside, whether you're working, hunting, or playing- but if they're cold you're cold all over and it's just miserable.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Tom, I read in some book the other day that at the temperatures about the freezing point the loss of bodie's heat through a head might be up to 80%. Head is the most important part on organizm's mind so it uses to supply it with all the best. This way wearing a hat in the cold is a good practice. Shure not a tin foil one :whistling:

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

The bed goes to the sand blasters next week I decided to split the tailgate down the center and make it fold out like doors on a dry van. I will weld hinges to the rear uprights and go from there I will use cane bolts to lock each side individually and I will weld a piece of flat stock on one door to overlap the other like a dry van. Went down to the recyclers Saturday and bought some new road signs that were sitting there the backs will polish up like a mirror for the inserts between the ribs on the sides.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan.

The only thing want to note about those shiny inserts is they must be done of plates of a good thikness. And absolutely flat originally.

Otherwise you will not see a mirror but just a play of sun beams on a deformed surface.

I don't want you to direct to a steel shop for 2 mm polished SS sheets right now (I would do that myself) but just make one plate by the way you've planned, fit on the body and see how it's actually pretty.

• 1 month later...

Beautiful !!

I will need to build a cargo body for my military Mack in the future so I keep my eye for any stuff built and figure out the amount of work.

So I can see you've done alot to get this look.

Nothing beats natural wood! what is the cut out at the end of the bench for? Arm rest / guard rail ? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE