New to Truck Drving

tippatone

welcome. Where in n.y. are you?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Carl, a medium duty cab over, either a Mack or International maybe? A picture is worth a thousand words... As for going from a cab over box truck to a conventional cab tri-axle, the biggest difference is the wheel base, I.e. turning radius.. A tri axle takes more room to turn than some tractor trailers, but the bright side is steering and brakes are much better than in the past. Shifting can be much different on a heavy duty truck, either double clutching or no clutch - but depending on the mileage and drivers newer trannies are much better than in the past. I'd again say the biggest challenge is the wheel base - plan your turns well, go wide, watch for cars passing on your right (in the city they'll make you crazy). Good luck, and everyone learned once so don't sweat it.

• Like 1

Welcome! I lived in the Bronx for 2 1/2 years and my Wife was born and raised there.

I don't know how much weight you haul in the box truck but the tri-axle will likely be much heavier when loaded. That will make the truck slower to get moving, increase stopping distance, and more likely to tip if not careful when turning. Not trying to scare you, it's the law of gravity and if you respect it you won't get in any trouble. It's simply a matter of adjusting your driving habits.

Jim

Dont get caught with your lift axle in the wrong position. In Conn. 8000.00 fine an send you back for a retest on CDL. A company i knew.The state open special court for the over weight fine with all the top inspectors from State police & DMV truck squads in attendance it was his first major ticket.

Ed

Dont get caught with your lift axle in the wrong position. In Conn. 8000.00 fine an send you back for a retest on CDL. A company i knew.The state open special court for the over weight fine with all the top inspectors from State police & DMV truck squads in attendance it was his first major ticket.

Damn,I sure hope they keep those peneltys in Conn.and they dont migrate to NY!
  • Like 1

I'm having issues uploading the pics on my phone, the truck in the attachment is the one I'm learning on....I don't currently own a Mack now, but hopefully by Summer I will....looking for an RD perhaps....thanks for all the feedback I already learned a thing or two

Carl, a medium duty cab over, either a Mack or International maybe? A picture is worth a thousand words... As for going from a cab over box truck to a conventional cab tri-axle, the biggest difference is the wheel base, I.e. turning radius.. A tri axle takes more room to turn than some tractor trailers, but the bright side is steering and brakes are much better than in the past. Shifting can be much different on a heavy duty truck, either double clutching or no clutch - but depending on the mileage and drivers newer trannies are much better than in the past. I'd again say the biggest challenge is the wheel base - plan your turns well, go wide, watch for cars passing on your right (in the city they'll make you crazy). Good luck, and everyone learned once so don't sweat it.

Well said! It's nice to see someone who's not afraid to ask questions, and even nicer that none of the replies are to ridicule or make fun of a new driver.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Well said! It's nice to see someone who's not afraid to ask questions, and even nicer that none of the replies are to ridicule or make fun of a new driver.

I got a memo that said I should be nice.

It was signed S. Claus.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.