Time For A New PC?

other dog

I've been having a lot of issues lately- freezing, hanging up, blue screen, shutting down unexpectedly for no apparent reason, and so on. And every virus scan comes up clean, every optimizer program says my PC is optimized, registry clean, no defects found. I've had computer experts working on it remotely every day since the day before Christmas, and they finally gave up on it yesterday.

They suggested I get a USB flash drive to save my pictures and documents and they were going to use the whatcha-ma-callit restore to put everything back like it was when it left the factory, totally clean everything, and reload windows.

I thought since this PC was made in 2006 i'd probably be as well off to just get a new one. All I need is the tower part, and new ones have waaaay more memory than this one. Has anybody here ever done the system restore thing?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

My brother Mat is a comuter nerd, and hes done system restores for both my sister and mom. Makes a huge differene. He blanks the whole thing and installs only the OS, and leaves out all the stuff tha HP/Dell/Acer etc. puts on....speeds the computer up big time.....hes still gotta get over here and fix Sheena's laptop....

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Have you tried Malwarebytes Anti-Malware? https://www. malwarebytes.org/

It's the most effective tool I've found to locate, root out and destroy the bad stuff that might be lurking in your computer, and it's free. Another possibility is that the hard drive needs to be defragmented (type in "defrag" without the quotes in the 'search' box) and your system will guide you from there.

Your hard drive might also have become corrupted or has errors in it. Defragmentation also helps repair errors or defects in the hard drive.

If all that fails, typing ".jpg", ".doc" and ".mov" (all without the quotes) into the search box will bring up only your pictures, movies and documents that you can then load on to a memory stick. Be sure to run Malwarebytes first or you run the risk of transferring whatever nastiness plagues your computer right on to the memory stick along with the pictures, documents and movies.

Last but not least, and if you've saved the receipt, take the computer back to where you bought it. Hopefully the store is one of those that has big signs (lit by searchlights) announcing "Satisfaction Guaranteed!", "We love our customers!" , "Our customers are #1!", "The Customer is King!" or other such drivel. You'll find out rather quickly how meaningful those signs actually are and could possibly luck out. Don't hold your breath, though. B)

My last tower PC was some time ago... would a laptop work for you?

I usually drop everything I want on a usb and xfer that way.

I never like the newer versions of windows, outlook, word, ect.... I still like XP...

Old Bill always said XP was the best, and Vista was junk. I called him last night and he said vista was the Edsel of windows. He also recommended I just get a new computer. He said windows 7 wasn't much different from XP, but he couldn't do anything with windows 8 and had windows 8 removed and installed windows 7 on his last pc.

Have you tried Malwarebytes Anti-Malware? https://www. malwarebytes.org/

It's the most effective tool I've found to locate, root out and destroy the bad stuff that might be lurking in your computer, and it's free. Another possibility is that the hard drive needs to be defragmented (type in "defrag" without the quotes in the 'search' box) and your system will guide you from there.

Your hard drive might also have become corrupted or has errors in it. Defragmentation also helps repair errors or defects in the hard drive.

If all that fails, typing ".jpg", ".doc" and ".mov" (all without the quotes) into the search box will bring up only your pictures, movies and documents that you can then load on to a memory stick. Be sure to run Malwarebytes first or you run the risk of transferring whatever nastiness plagues your computer right on to the memory stick along with the pictures, documents and movies.

Last but not least, and if you've saved the receipt, take the computer back to where you bought it. Hopefully the store is one of those that has big signs (lit by searchlights) announcing "Satisfaction Guaranteed!", "We love our customers!" , "Our customers are #1!", "The Customer is King!" or other such drivel. You'll find out rather quickly how meaningful those signs actually are and could possibly luck out. Don't hold your breath, though. B)

thanks, yes, I already have malwarebytes, avast pro anti-virus, fix-it-utilities professional pc optimizer, and run the disc. defrag. regularly. The remote repairs people used all kinds of programs and super virus killers and found nothing. It still works, i'm using it now, but you can't install any updates. When you try to install updates it won't restart at all until you use system restore to go back before the updates were installed- i've had to do that 3 or 4 times this week.

thanks, yes, I already have malwarebytes, avast pro anti-virus, fix-it-utilities professional pc optimizer, and run the disc. defrag. regularly. The remote repairs people used all kinds of programs and super virus killers and found nothing. It still works, i'm using it now, but you can't install any updates. When you try to install updates it won't restart at all until you use system restore to go back before the updates were installed- i've had to do that 3 or 4 times this week.

By the sound of things, I'm afraid it's time for a new computer. Hit those after-Christmas sales and good luck!

I concur.....Since your old one is 2006.....Bite the bullet and get a new one.

I bought a new unit from www.tigerdirect.com You can get them to build you a tower according to your wishes. Had them build me a custom unit a few years back when I was into digital photography big time. Was pretty reasonable too. Please make sure you do not lose the photochoppage program. That would make me have a sad.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Windows 8 is great for a touch screen.

Was able to run a Win 7 to over ride the 8 on my laptop.

Edsel. that's about right. After 5 years, most computers are dinosaurs

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Well, it's a done deal. I went to the Wal Mart store to get a USB flash drive, and left with that and a new PC. Haven't hooked it up yet, i'm running a final virus scan, then i'll save my pictures and documents to put in the new one. I got another HP, with 8gb memory. I'm not sure what that even means, but i'm pretty sure it's twice as much memory as the Acer they had with 4 gb's memory. It says on the box it will store 176,000 pictures, so I can put about 170,000 more on it.

Old Bill always said XP was the best, and Vista was junk. I called him last night and he said vista was the Edsel of windows. He also recommended I just get a new computer. He said windows 7 wasn't much different from XP, but he couldn't do anything with windows 8 and had windows 8 removed and installed windows 7 on his last pc.

Yea, XP was great. 7 is ok, 8- find a tall building and... well you get the idea.

What does the new puter have? 8 probably?

Always wanted to try a Mac- friends have said they like them with very little issues. I worry about integrating all the windows stuff I have now with the Mac os. I have heard that they can run word, adobe ect...

I considered a MAC before I bought my new HP laptop with WIN 8.1. A friend is sold on MAC and told me you can get most software in a MAC version. There are also programs to convert PC files to MAC. MACs are more expensive but they don't have viruses and other issues like a WIN PC.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

just got a smartphone moto x this thing is tits,,,cant stop screwing with it,,,thing does everything but cook supper didnt think i was gonna like it,,,but cant put it down lol looked real confusing at first but im getting it pretty fast,,,liked my old flip phone but couldnt get anymore data on it,,,couldnt even look up a phone number,,,and the photo,s were coming out bluffy towards the end,,,so it was time to upgrade...bob

• Like 1

It is nice that your neighbor came over to share some holiday cheer and let you take a picture.

Yeah, she just moved in next door. I was just sitting here watching the Cosby show and got an ideer. Jo had to go to the store and as soon as she got out of the driveway I ran next door to invite the new neighbor over for some kool-aid.

• Like 2