Hi All,

please have a look here, NR model with engine that is not Lanova, i think its 673.

i spoke with the driver that actually drove this truck when the Lanova engines blew up, than rpelced to what they called "big mack engine" the driver remember it like it was today, i assume it was in the end of '1940 begging of the '50...

Cheers

Guy

ITRC
Israel Trucking Restoration Comity

guy.edelist@gmail.com

post-16016-0-90953400-1416942530_thumb.j

post-16016-0-26908900-1416942603_thumb.j

post-16016-0-64872500-1416942639_thumb.j

post-16016-0-81054300-1416942683_thumb.j

Pretty shure it's NR-14 or 15 with the aftermarket body. 1944-45.

Front bumper and head lights lowered seem as Austrian army after the war conversion.

Mack L-model front shutters.

The engine is too probably 673, the swap could be in 60's-70's-80's and very late years also. Very easy to, most the things match.

If you look at the side of the left frame rail right above the front axle beam you'll find the chassis#. It must be NR4D-.....D.

This would tell more.

Where in Israel is the truck?

I saw some pics of them on the net, there might be many in your country.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Thank you all for great replies and answers!

Truck located in North of Israel, far as i know the only one around.

it was belong to English forces WW2, but if you do have ideas how to make sure it's British and not Australian i will be happy to know.

BR

-Guy Edelist

ITRC

Israel Trucking Restoration Comity

guy.edelist@gmail.com

Vlad,

Yes, he did shorten the trucks. He told me he gave $2000.00 for the gas burner and like $3500.00 for the diesel at a government auction in Springfield,Il. shortly after the war.He also said the fuel mileage was comparable with the END510 getting just a hair better than the EN510. I had posted this pic awhile ago in a thread about Celli Trucking Co. Sorry for not bringing it to your attention earlier. Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Al, I don't remember seeing that tread, it might be posted before when I got active on here.

That's interesting note about the engines. Originally all NR's had ED (519) Lanova's. They were probably very close to END510, I'm just not familiar with the last ones. 510 Thermodyne gassers were used in the WW2 LMSW heavy wreckers and that seems to me as a source of such an engine if the truck was converted in Europe.

Guy, the truck you posted the picture of has dual rear tyres, as seen.

It belongs it to the late production series NR14 - NR-20. Wich covered about a half of the production total of 16548 units though.

Those vehicles had many different destinations such as Great Britain, Middle East, India, Ceylon, North and South Africa, and Russia.

So the one we're talking about could come straight from GB or from some closer area.

The vehicles supplied to Australia all were of the earlier butches and that determined them as the ones with single (14.00-20) rear wheels.

You're right about the one known, I checked out my pics and found out there was the same vehicle.

I have a plan to visit Israel some day so keep that truck in my mind. Some one from Israel posted the photos of trucks from Taavura museum on here, I thought that NR was also there.

Vlad

Vlad,

If the ED 519 was the original motor in the NR,that's probably what was still in it at the time he bought it. I was so fascinated that he could remember all the specs yet, I just took it for granted he had one 510 gas,one diesel. Not even thinking that the END510 wasn't even developed yet! I bet it was an ED519 Lanova. "Just ask the man who owns one" (an NR,that is) .Thanks Vlad for clearing that up! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

You're welcome Al although I'm a puppy teacher in relation to the most of you Mack guru's.

It was interesting to me for a long time why NR's were equipped with that small 519 ci Lanova's instead of for example more powerful END-672 (wich was also Lanova). By the word ED Lanova (it was correctly called that way, not ED-519) was the first Mack own serial diesel engine.

One of the facts wich can explain that is the first serie NR-1 trucks (first pic) look like the further development of the earlier militarized Mack EXBX (second pic). So NR might be basically built not like a L-model but BX (I have no ideas what EX Mack could be??). This way Mack used a diesel engine of the thirty's.

post-3971-0-36318700-1417549542.jpg

post-3971-0-11061500-1417549637_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Vlad.

the truck is in the north of Israel if you drop by, we can arrange visit.

Taavura Museum is very impressive, they got some B series even EH, however they don't have NR.

Mack NR was a great truck in the begging hay days of Israel. the one in the picture i put here use to go in 1948 from afulla valley to siege Jerusalem, 2 drivers in the cabin. it took them 7 hours each direction caring milk cans. the day after came another pair to the cabin, many parts of the "road" were where unpaved.

the Lanova engine was not that reliable, only 131 Horse power, 8.5 liter.

the boys used to carry sky rocket ridicules loads.. this truck had tipper made in Israel.

However the name "Mack Lanova" remains as brand name here for all NR trucks.

Guy

ITRC

guy.edelist@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...