L Model Fuel Tank

firenut

Exactly what is the condition? Rusted? Dented? A photo would help a lot. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

A good old time Radiator / gas tank repair shop can boil it out derust it and treat it inside. One thing I've never had luck with was the tank sealers, the new fuel eats it up. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I use Marco Radiator in Shenadoah PA. I had work done by another shop and it was crazy expensive. Marco would probably be $400. Might be worth the drive. They have done several fuel tanks and one radiator for me and I have been very happy with their work. They pick up and deliver to my house but not likely to do it for you. Mike

pictures would help to see what we're dealin with. I have ground and cut the end caps off several B model tanks and sandblasted them on the inside, welded them back together and coated them with ''Red Kote'' from Napa or Eastwood. depends what your tank looks like. if its similar to a square B model one its not that big of a deal.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I have purchased the epoxy liner kits from Caswell Plating, but I have not gotten around to using them yet. If you are interested I bought some extras since their bulk price was basically the same as the price for what I needed.

One other option would be to cut a rectangular hole in the top of the tank that can be patched by a sheet metal piece screwed back onto the tank. Since the tank is up under the frame it will never show and it is easy to seal up with gasket material or silicone. I have done this on a tractor tank and it works very well to clean the tank and inspect it for damage.

I made up a "ring" out of metal which I epoxied inside the tank giving me a strong surface to screw into.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Flush the tank with water and cut an access hole in the top would be my advice. You can then clean it properly, seal it internally if you decide to go that route, and keep an access port available in case of future issues. Obviously, do not cut an empty tank with flammable vapors inside. Keep it full of water while you cut the hole with a saw or cut off wheel.

The other, more costly, alternative would be to replace it with an aluminum tank. Any decent fabrication shop could make one.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!