$3500 for a running 1970 Mack RL with a detroit V8, hell thats a steal in my book! Nice find there, hope you have lots of luck with it, Im like Mike looks like it needs a bumper and a bath and its good to go.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I still have the B, that will be a long term project from the looks of things. VIN on this I believe was R773ST1957, don't know if it was a tandem tractor at one point in time. The air cleaner did look pretty funky to me, is it just upside down? That thing does roar pretty good, tops out at about 60 but it has 24.5" tires on it, not sure what it had from the factory. Fun little truck, it was indeed $3500 but after DMV fees ($592) and then insurance (full collision on 5K value $312) There is not a whole lot left in the bank account. Today I am working on the signal lights, none of them work.

R773 would have been an 8V-71N Detroit originally, right guys?

Send that VIN to the guys at the Mack museum, and they can send you the build sheet for the truck.

And, yes...the "ST" meant it was a tandem (six-wheel) tractor when it left the factory.

Nice thing about these old trucks; not that complicated to work on. You should have no trouble getting the lighting to work.

Good Luck!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

$3500 for a running, driving, workable Mack tow truck> No bad in my eyes either. Electrical in these old trucks is not much of a problem, per say. As long as some hacker didn't get in there and just start cutting stuff!

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

As much as I like Mack power, a driveable V8 Detroit R700 is a find. Great score! Someone sure went to a lot of trouble to paint everything yellow including the engine and cab interior. If it were an R600 it could have been owned by a municipality, but I'm thinking an R700 not so much. Interesting to know its history. Beautiful truck, congrats!!!

looks like a old provan truck, they all had 318 tandem axles, alum tanks, and those funky air cleaners. in the late 80's they went out of business and all the trucks were sold between 4500 to 3500 we bought one and redid it and put it to work like so many of local trucking companys did. they were maintained but they had a lot of rust, they were out of newburgh ny, yellow cabs wtih black hoods!