shifting 12spd maxitorque

wacatak

i have a 1991 688 dump truck with a 400hp and 12spd, ive just had the truck for about a yr and dont use it eveyday. My issue is i can shift the truck fine running through the gears but when it comes time to shift down ill shift from 5 h to 5L it wants to grind for a bit going in. Im looking for any advice or info that would be helpful. Thanks

I agree, never had that trouble. The only thing I have found tricky on the 12 speed is going from 4h to 5L when Im upshifting almost always grinds there. I usually go 4h to 5h and then downshift real quick to 5L. I have two trucks with 12 speeds they both are E9's

I agree, never had that trouble. The only thing I have found tricky on the 12 speed is going from 4h to 5L when Im upshifting almost always grinds there. I usually go 4h to 5h and then downshift real quick to 5L. I have two trucks with 12 speeds they both are E9's

Thats the same on mine (4H to 5L)...on the downshift I kinda give the throttle a little blip (to unload to geartrain) just as I am flipping the switch..then qucikly increase the RPM to match and it goes right in to 5L with no issues...

Might work on unloading the drivetrain with the throttle to help get it to (thru) nuetral quicker...or like others said, you might be downshifting early (higher speed) and jsut need more RPM to get it in...

PS...I LOVE my 12-speed!

well the 12 speed is the best tranny I have ever driven had trouble splitting into low once crap built up inside the gears on the low range side takes a bit to pull it all apart but cleaned it all out ran as good as new if it is only in one gear I have no answer if it is on all gears maybe the air ram on the box lid or the regulator is out of adjustment and not enough pressure ??

Paul

ps I never use the clutch for splitting gears didnt no I was meant to