Super Trucker Saturday

rsb502

post-3242-0-18196700-1394900720_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sorry,no pictures to verify,but I thought the following sure qualifies for "Super Trucker Saturday" I picked up a load of lawn/patio furniture for the Lowes dist. center in Statesville,NC on Thursday which I delivered today. The place I loaded at,made you drop and pull out from under the trailer before loading (I was told they had a few trucks take off when they got the green light, with a forklift in the trailer!) Anyway,i was talking with the driver backed in next to me ,no kid,newbie or rookie (so I thought) he was there before me,and just about loaded. When they told him he was ready,he asked if I could give him and hand with something,when he started backing under the trailer,i noticed the release handle on the fifth-wheel was held out with a strap tied around the frame,he got under the trailer up against the pin,then stopped,got out of the truck,opened his side-box,got out a well worn 11/16 open end/box wrench,placed it in the hollow part of the fifth-wheel behind the jaw,then tripped the fifth-wheel by removing the strap.Well seems the jaw was broken,so the ONLY thing holding the trailer on was a Craftsman wrench! I said "you gotta'be effing kidding me"!! "are you really going down the road like this"??? his response was "sure,i've done it before.no problem" In my career as a driver,i've seen some pretty shit for brains stupid things,but this has to be in the top two! this asshole was oblivious to the fact he could have very easily killed himself,or someone else when the damn trailer fell off!............Un-Frickin' believeable!..............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Sorry,no pictures to verify,but I thought the following sure qualifies for "Super Trucker Saturday" I picked up a load of lawn/patio furniture for the Lowes dist. center in Statesville,NC on Thursday which I delivered today. The place I loaded at,made you drop and pull out from under the trailer before loading (I was told they had a few trucks take off when they got the green light, with a forklift in the trailer!) Anyway,i was talking with the driver backed in next to me ,no kid,newbie or rookie (so I thought) he was there before me,and just about loaded. When they told him he was ready,he asked if I could give him and hand with something,when he started backing under the trailer,i noticed the release handle on the fifth-wheel was held out with a strap tied around the frame,he got under the trailer up against the pin,then stopped,got out of the truck,opened his side-box,got out a well worn 11/16 open end/box wrench,placed it in the hollow part of the fifth-wheel behind the jaw,then tripped the fifth-wheel by removing the strap.Well seems the jaw was broken,so the ONLY thing holding the trailer on was a Craftsman wrench! I said "you gotta'be effing kidding me"!! "are you really going down the road like this"??? his response was "sure,i've done it before.no problem" In my career as a driver,i've seen some pretty shit for brains stupid things,but this has to be in the top two! this asshole was oblivious to the fact he could have very easily killed himself,or someone else when the damn trailer fell off!............Un-Frickin' believeable!..............................Mark

As much as i'd hate to "rat" on anyone, and never have, I might be tempted to make a call in this case. That's just an accident waiting for a place to happen. Good thing he used a Craftsman wrench instead of some no-name "made in China" wrench or it might have already happened. And to keep on doing it knowing the 5th. wheel was bad, instead of getting it fixed?..that's just crazy!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't have moved that trailer across the street like that! I thought long and hard about "ratting" the guy out,but it was some fly-by-night outfit I never heard of with an un-marked trailer,seeing shit like this on almost a daily basis sometimes makes me wish I'd paid better attention in school! especially knowing I'm on the same highways with morons like this!.......................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Where is that high level CSA inspection on this shit, hell our trucks get stopped and inspected all the time and we dont carry shit, have to keep em up, and all we have to do is drop em off at a shop and tell em what to do. If I went down the road with a bad strap or a worn chain or binder I would probably get nailed in the first few miles, I got no luck trying to break the rules.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

WTF?!.....HTF?!....Isn't there enough weight up there to make a very noticeable difference in how the truck handles?

WTF?!!

Jim

DailyDiesel,I believe there was more to that story about the scrap trailer that nobody knows. it was loaded at the scrapyard and they pounded the load down repeatitly with the grapple to get more in and compact the load.. some say they cracked the fifth wheel by doin this and that is why it came unhooked, killing a family on 81. I know back in the 60's my grandfather hated Holland fifth wheels for this reason, had more than one crack down the center and the trailer come unhooked

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

i forgot which brand fifth wheel it was but if you had the wheel latched already you could still hook up but if you hit a big enough bump the trailer would jump out of the hole because it was only sitting in there. A company my dad worked for had this happen a couple times to their trucks

• Like 1

Matt

40! Man hell no!

post-5240-0-48870300-1394936249_thumb.jp

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

DailyDiesel,I believe there was more to that story about the scrap trailer that nobody knows. it was loaded at the scrapyard and they pounded the load down repeatitly with the grapple to get more in and compact the load.. some say they cracked the fifth wheel by doin this and that is why it came unhooked, killing a family on 81. I know back in the 60's my grandfather hated Holland fifth wheels for this reason, had more than one crack down the center and the trailer come unhooked

At least that helps to explain the situation other than a case of bad luck and non preventable equipment failure. Tragic no matter the reason.

WTF?!.....HTF?!....Isn't there enough weight up there to make a very noticeable difference in how the truck handles?

WTF?!!

FRANCE . . . .

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Damn! Of course you could have said.....

France, he hit the switch for down and when it didn't work he surrendered!

i forgot which brand fifth wheel it was but if you had the wheel latched already you could still hook up but if you hit a big enough bump the trailer would jump out of the hole because it was only sitting in there. A company my dad worked for had this happen a couple times to their trucks

That would be a A.S.F American steel foundry . I had driver hook up to trailer in NY made several del. in Conn. and hit bump and loose the trailer . You could see where the pin was sitting on top of the jaw .

Ed

Is that a U model Dodge and he is trying to balance it out?

I guess if it works, he doesn't need the optional kick stand.

Or grab it from the top and pull it over. might be a leverage thing. Depending on how large the driver is.Definetly not for fat girls as the pipe is on the wrong side

Peterbilvette and Ashcan stax

post-3242-0-52306500-1395509267_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-18858600-1395509228.jpg

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ha, people are freakin nuts. I wouldn't be able to keep from laughing if any of those were parked near me.