EM5 Rebuild Kit or Engine Swap/Interchange

wawarod

Help! I have a 1998 RD690s with bad engine. Can't seem to find a rebuild kit anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find an inframe rebuild kit for this truck? Are the parts interchangeable with any other engines? Can I use a kit for an E6, E7 or other model?

Please help!!!

Engine Model: EM5-290
Seriall# 8D1145
11GBA (27905P1)
Horsepower 290
2000 RPM

We talked about the Mack/RVI EM5-290 before. http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/31258-mack-rd694p-single-axle-dump/

When you called the folks at Watts Mack and provided them with your truck's model and serial number, did they say the engine parts you need are NLA? (no longer available)

They couldn't find a rebuild kit, but they said they might be able to get individual parts. So I guess the question is "what individual parts make up an inframe rebuild kit?"

Remember me saying you will have trouble getting parts for the little bastard? The last I saw someone order enough parts to rebuild a Renault engine, it was quite expensive. Let us know how you make out. Some of those Renault engines were very good motors. The bummer was when they went down they were costly to repair, especially in parts.

They couldn't find a rebuild kit, but they said they might be able to get individual parts. So I guess the question is "what individual parts make up an inframe rebuild kit?"

So far, I don't see a parts availability problem here. Renault (RVI) never offered complete engine rebuild (in-frame) kits. You're asking for something that never existed.

Renault did (and still does) offer piston and liner kits, and gasket kits (sets). Obtaining that plus rod and main bearings will get you started.

The qualified mechanic who will be doing your in-frame overhaul should have no problem advising you what parts to order, after they have torn the engine down and made sure you don't have any out-of-the-ordinary problems.

Unless you have a Mack mechanic with RVI engine experience, make sure they have a Mack service manual for disassembly and reassembly of this engine.

And after 16 years, send that Bosch P7100 pump out to a pump shop to be checked out.

So far, I don't see a parts availability problem here. Renault (RVI) never offered complete engine rebuild (in-frame) kits. You're asking for something that never existed.

Renault did (and still does) offer piston and liner kits, and gasket kits (sets). Obtaining that plus rod and main bearings will get you started.

The qualified mechanic who will be doing your in-frame overhaul should have no problem advising you what parts to order, after they have torn the engine down and made sure you don't have any out-of-the-ordinary problems.

Unless you have a Mack mechanic with RVI engine experience, make sure they have a Mack service manual for disassembly and reassembly of this engine.

And after 16 years, send that Bosch P7100 pump out to a pump shop to be checked out.

I talked to the guys at WattsMack and they really tried to help. Unfortunately the parts are either NLA or obsolete. Still looking for any leads so I'm still looking for help! Any idea where I can find these parts?

I talked to the guys at WattsMack and they really tried to help. Unfortunately the parts are either NLA or obsolete. Still looking for any leads so I'm still looking for help! Any idea where I can find these parts?

Parts are readily available for this widely used engine series (Renault model MIDR 06.20.45) from Renault Truck in Europe. The Renault G340 TI Maxter*, for example, was equipped with this engine rated at 338 horsepower.

Given that Volvo Group owns both Renault Truck and the Mack brand, that makes this all the more interesting. Your truck, produced in 1998, is not yet 20 years old.

I suggest you call Mack customer service (866-298-6586) at Volvo's U.S. corporate headquarters in Greensboro, North Carolina. Provide them with your model and serial number. Explain that you contacted a Mack dealer and were told the parts are NLA. Tell them your truck is a 1998 and that you have a "truck down" situation.

I know how the former Mack Trucks would respond. Let's see what Volvo does.

Incidentally, Renault Trucks Defense has supplied a 450 horsepower variant of this engine for military vehicle applications.

* The G340 TI Maxter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70373000@N04/10884636643

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77228500@N06/6985200866

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77228500@N06/6985200542

http://ads-img.cdn.mbdsrv.com/pa/536-402/192445/3837125/2013090617227_1.jpg