Looking to buy B-42

hard to put a price on something without pics,could be anywhere from $1000 to $15000.If the engine is original,gas stuff is getting hard to come by,but not impossible,sheet metal is common with most of the B models,the real nice stuff is getting scarce,but if you can weld and do bodywork,theres lots of decent stuff still around. A lot of the little stuff you can get new thru Watt's Mack.

It all seems original. I'm no expert by any means, but it's a flathead inline 6 and a duplex trans. Most of the sheet metal is solid except for the cab floor needs a patch or two. The glass is pretty rough though and the driver door window track is bent.the door itself is perfect though. The truck was drivable until it was parked a few years ago. It is complete, nothing obvious missing. Is it worth fixing the gas motor or would it be better to put something like a 237 in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by flynlow8740

Using Tapatalk

without seeing pics,$1500 to $2500 based on your description. As for the engine,if it is just going to be a hobby truck,fix it,if you going to use it everyday,forget it and find a diesel,you'll get a lot of time & $ wrapped up in a swap,when you could find a running diesel for close to the same money.

I always thought the 401 and 402 were Mack's own design,others have said they too are Continental's so I can't answer that with facts.

fxfymn must have miss read your first post. As far as I know the EN401/402 in the B42 is a Mack made Maxidyne engine. Some of the smaller trucks had continental made engines. There are not too many people running the gas jobs anymore, but there were a lot made and parts are still out there. I have 4 B42s and one B422, but the B422 has an overhead in it. I would keep the flat head gas for originality, but again it becomes a personal and economic decision. A non running, solid B42 is worth $1500-3500 in my opinion. They used to be $500-800 but are getting more scarce. Good luck. Mike

I agree with Yarnall. I have a 56 B42 with the flathead 6 cylinder. Although I would prefer to have a diesel engine - I am going to keep the gas motor to keep it as original as possible. The only complaint I have with my B42 is that it is not built for speed. According to the spec sheet from the factory, top speed rated was 48 mph at 2800 rpm due to the super low rear end and tandem axles..

• Like 1

about 5 mpg on a good day. the 291 331 and 401 all used the same head I believe. the 402 has two more head studs in the corners. B42's are not all that scarce or rare but are desireable for the sheetmetal. the gasjobs didn't shake and chafe like the diesels. I think all the flathead Mack gassers were Cotinentals design. I think only the overhead 438, 464, 540 and 707 were Macks design. we have repowered many B42's with diesels and changed the motor mounts and rears. you better have a B61 parts truck if you plan on putting a 237 in a B42 and if you don't have at least 11 leafs in the front spings it will be a road sniffer when your done. most B42's had 8 leaves in the front. the heavier spec ones had 9 or 11. some of the really light ones had the cheaper slipper springs like the B20 and B30's had.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

fxfymn must have miss read your first post. As far as I know the EN401/402 in the B42 is a Mack made Maxidyne engine. Some of the smaller trucks had continental made engines. There are not too many people running the gas jobs anymore, but there were a lot made and parts are still out there. I have 4 B42s and one B422, but the B422 has an overhead in it. I would keep the flat head gas for originality, but again it becomes a personal and economic decision. A non running, solid B42 is worth $1500-3500 in my opinion. They used to be $500-800 but are getting more scarce. Good luck. Mike

My first mack was a B421 with the flathead engine, does anybody know the 1 means in the B421 ? Terry

the B421 was a lighter version of the B42. it usually had a single frame with fishplates, the cheaper 34,000 rears with flat axle caps, underslung three leaf walkin beams and wedge brakes. I have seen some of the later ones 64-66 with F517 front axles tho which leads me to believe mack was using up parts or the guy ordered it that way to get more weight on the front axle. the 401/402 was a good engine but was generally overworked and with the little oil bath air cleaner usually lasted about 100,000 miles if you were lucky without a rebuild. my grandfather had a single axle B42 that pulled a lowboy with a D8 cat on it for D.W. Winkleman once in a while in the off season when they weren't haulin coal out of Pa to Ny, id say they were askin a lot out of that little flathead and baby duplex.

One more question. Are maintenance manuals and parts catalogs available for the complete truck? (Engine, trans, rears, and truck itself)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a donation to the Mack Museum, you can send the VIN of the truck and they will send a packet back. Usually it will contain the build sheet for the truck, copy of the maint. manual and other information on the truck.

It takes several weeks to run through their system but is helpful information to have.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 2 weeks later...

only difference in a 401/402 is the 402 has two more head bolts in both front and rear corners on the driverside. they look out of place as they are close to the other exhisting bolts. if the gasket isn't bad, you could always coat it with coppers spray or aluminum paint. I know a little redneckish but it works. last few gaskets I bought from them came from Tidewater Mack years ago.