2014 ATCA Macungie Show

farmer52

I hope to have Philadelphia Fire Dept's Ladder 20 from the 60's with the 1950 American-LaFrance 100 ft aerial ladder/tiller. Just not sure-here is a pic when it was with the Oaklyn Fire Dept .

Heavyhauler I do know how to tiller if you need help getting it around town and in the park.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

heavyhauler nice ladder truck. When backing into a garage do you lock tiller wheel or does Tillerman assist ? Drove truck all my life but never saw a tiller unit backing up. Thanks Joe D.

Joe, the tillerman holds the wheel at the bottom, and turns the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to move. Tillering is an art form.....A good driver and tillerman can put a tiller (especially THAT one being so short) can put a tiller damn near anywhere. When the guys work together enough, they can read each other's minds.

"Tillering 101"

Any tiller wheel will have a notch or mark painted at 12'oclock (or whatever 12oclock is with the trailer steer axle pointed dead forwards....) Pick a center point on the tractor cab, like a marker light, a radio antenna, or the bubble gum machine- whatever you want to mark the center. The idea is to keep the trailer in line with the center of the tractor as much as possible.

When the tractor makes a right-hand turn, the tillerman turns his wheels LEFT. Now here is where the marked wheel comes in- you HAVE to count the number of turns by quarters.....I sound it off out loud....."One fourth....One half.....three quarters...." Because when you bring the wheel back around, you MUST return it the exact precise number of turns, or else the trailer will be crab-legging and you could wipe out parked or moving cars in the lanes next to you. Rarely will you turn the wheel more than one full turn. Only in super tight turns and then rarely more than a full 1.5 turns.

As said, when backing in, tillerman holds the wheel at the bottom, and moves the wheel in the direction he wants the trailer to move in.

Here's a pretty good video of some tiller action while responding.......And a secret in the fire service- The Tillerman is the sexiest job, especially in the summer in a downtown section of a big city like Winfall, when the Winfall Wimmin are outside on their lunch breaks.

• Like 1

Anyone remember the "Seinfield Episode" of Kramer as a Tillerman. It reminds me of my time in the Navy running boats 1968. About all smaller boats were either cable or kick like a clutch. I was on an old scow that had the bell system from Coxswain to Engine man when landing the boat the Coxswain was ringing the bell for forward and reverse I could not keep up with it,it had 2 big levers that took some doing to change direction. Needless to say I got an a$$ chewing and some extra duty. Joe D.

• 3 weeks later...

I plan on attending the show as I have never been to one yet!! The last few years my scheduling just didnt work. I did make it out about 2 years ago on Sunday to see a few trucks leaving... In any case I hope to see everyone this year!!

Here is a little video of my B-model tiller truck. I recently got a go pro camera and hope to be posting some "tillering" videos soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hp4ojSlzi8

Jason

• Like 1

I plan on attending the show as I have never been to one yet!! The last few years my scheduling just didnt work. I did make it out about 2 years ago on Sunday to see a few trucks leaving... In any case I hope to see everyone this year!!

Here is a little video of my B-model tiller truck. I recently got a go pro camera and hope to be posting some "tillering" videos soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hp4ojSlzi8

Jason

Hey, Goofball......Are you bringing the Tiller? If so let me know and I'll save you a space next to a REAL truck........Just kidding.....Come park next to, and party with us!!!! I bring the truck out on Friday AM and park it there overnight, Macungie is only 20 miles from my house. If you come out Friday make sure you sign up for the ATCA "Family Reunion" dinner.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ANYONE FROM NEWARK, NJ (close proximity to Newark Airport) ATTENDING???

I have some parts for Vlad that I can deliver to Macungie. Is there anyone attending the show that could deliver these parts to Vlad's export agent near the Newark Airport?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

ANYONE FROM NEWARK, NJ (close proximity to Newark Airport) ATTENDING???

I have some parts for Vlad that I can deliver to Macungie. Is there anyone attending the show that could deliver these parts to Vlad's export agent near the Newark Airport?

For Vlad? Yes I could be talked into doing this- as long as all the arrangements are made ahead of time, hopefully I could drop the goods off on a Saturday.

Yes, for me.

Ken, thank you for the asking.

There's the export facility in Secaucus NJ wich helps me for overseas shipping.

They're quite close to Newark airport and to NYC.

Work during a working time.

If anyone is going to the show from that area some help would be good.

Just if it's really close to you and wouldn't cost much trouble.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

At this time I plan to drive the MH with trailer to Macungie and take it to the show grounds on Thursday afternoon. Is anyone else planning to be there on Thursday afternoon that I can "bum" a ride back to the hotel (Hawthorne Suites in Fogelsville) later Thursday afternoon? Also anyone staying near or at the Hawthorne Suites that I can "bum" a ride to and from the show on Friday and to the show on Saturday morning. I plan to depart the show on Saturday afternoon but will be staying Saturday night. I will be staying for the "Family Reunion" dinner on Friday night. PM me.

Thanks!!

P.S. Any plans for a "BMT meeting" at the TK on Thursday and/or Saturday evening? Remember we need to support those "nuns-in-training".

Ken

At this time I plan to drive the MH with trailer to Macungie and take it to the show grounds on Thursday afternoon. Is anyone else planning to be there on Thursday afternoon that I can "bum" a ride back to the hotel (Hawthorne Suites in Fogelsville) later Thursday afternoon? Also anyone staying near or at the Hawthorne Suites that I can "bum" a ride to and from the show on Friday and to the show on Saturday morning. I plan to depart the show on Saturday afternoon but will be staying Saturday night. I will be staying for the "Family Reunion" dinner on Friday night. PM me.

Thanks!!

P.S. Any plans for a "BMT meeting" at the TK on Thursday and/or Saturday evening? Remember we need to support those "nuns-in-training".

I dont know if there is anyone here that's closer to Newark than I am. It's only about an hour ride for me. I can make a day out of it and take his stuff over and then visit some friends on the Newark Fire Department.

Doug Maney usually gathers up some friends and does the TK on Thursday night. I can probably come grab you at the hotel like last time Ken. I'm taking off from work on Friday morning and heading out with the FWD then, I could probably swing by the hotel and pick you up as long as you don't mind being seen in an F.W.D. The wife will be out Friday night for the picnic and to grab me, we can drop you back at the hotel. Saturday AM I'll have to figure something out because my father (usually picks me up) may be away. If he comes to get me we can get you too.

Carl,

Was not sure if you were attending. Are you staying at the same place as last year? That would be great if I can "bum" a ride. Thanks!!

Randy,

Thanks for the offers. You can work out the parts details with Vlad. As for riding in the FWD.......hmmmm.....beggars can't be choosers! :whistling:

Ken

Yep, same place as last year. As the Enterprise ads say "I'll pick you up."

I agreed to volunteer for ATCA on Friday morning, so the bus might have to leave early.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!