Trucker's GPS

DCR

Do they make one with Jenna Jameson's voice yet? If so I'd get that one.

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Can't recommend one,guess I'm one of the last dinosaurs left that still uses a "PNS" (paper navigation system)..........................................Mark

I'm like you Mark in that remark, but now and then I get a wild hair and have to have something different to play with. I hate worse than anything is to go down a deadend road and have to back out with a trailer. These GPS units can help eliminate that situation, if you watch close enough.

Remember, a GPS is only good if you know where you are going.

Denny - I can't recommend a good "trucker GPS". Buy a good Truck Road Alas and let RuthAnn be your navigator. :twothumbsup:

I just purchased a new Garmin Nuvi 2597LMT from GPSCity to replace my old Garmin 750. The new one has lifetime maps and live traffic updates. The new one is more "friendly". At least the "bitch in the box Jan" does not say "recalculating" nor "make a U turn".

If anyone was at Gerhart's late Saturday morning, you might remember the intersection just to the south was closed due to an accident. Well I headed north and the "bitch in the box" was NO help. Somehow I found my way even tho she kept saying "recalculating" and "make a U turn".

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Can't recommend one,guess I'm one of the last dinosaurs left that still uses a "PNS" (paper navigation system)..........................................Mark

Ha, that's what im talking about, I don't even have 2014 Im still running on 2012! I have a gps ut its a Garmin for a car and rarely use it, lately its been my speedometer in the Superliner since my speedo is way off going from 4.64 to 3.65 rears.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I had a Rand Mcnally and just bought the Garmin. Things about both I like and hate. I like the Rand alot better. Wish I would of just upgraded when I bought the new one. The Garmin does better on tracking your hours but with that said. It lets you know when your over or something which annoys me. and can't reset or show what my actual hours are. 400 and it can be yours only 2 weeks old

Also I use to use Microsoft streets and trips but just bought 2013 and not happy with it at all and this is all I ever use for oversize loads. Going to get the Delorme here in a week or so. Put my permitted route in and follow it. Just don't be a dumb ass and know your route as sometimes shit happens. like tonight after I put the route in for 30 mins I went back and double check it and something was off in Amarillo. Missed a damn turn. Went back and fixed it but if we had been down there and not paying attention we'd of been off route

• Like 1

I buy a new paper atlas every 3 years. My Garmin 465T has been yelling at me for at least 4 years that it needs a map update (which costs damn near as much as a NEW GPS w/ the same "lifetime maps" so why would I buy JUST the maps?) and that the traffic receiver needs to be updated too. 98% of the time I just use it as a speedometer (the truck's reads a little slow...except for a few days ago when the VSS wires were shorting out in which case the speedo needle was constantly fluctuating between 0 and whatever it would have ordinarily been reading at the speed I was going). Being a local driver in a day cab, I pretty much know where I'm going anyways...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I buy a new paper atlas every 3 years. My Garmin 465T has been yelling at me for at least 4 years that it needs a map update (which costs damn near as much as a NEW GPS w/ the same "lifetime maps" so why would I buy JUST the maps?) and that the traffic receiver needs to be updated too. 98% of the time I just use it as a speedometer (the truck's reads a little slow...except for a few days ago when the VSS wires were shorting out in which case the speedo needle was constantly fluctuating between 0 and whatever it would have ordinarily been reading at the speed I was going). Being a local driver in a day cab, I pretty much know where I'm going anyways...

That is exactly why I finally bought a new Garmin. Now all the updates (maps and traffic) are free (that is until they figure some other way to get your money).

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I like when you call for directions and say from WI to some where in downtown Boston and the receiver starts to give you directions from Wi and you like I know how to get to Boston just tell me how to get to you off of I-90.

Our the other ones say just type it in your gps and I say I'm old school and only have an atlas. Oh I have find some one to give you directions cause I'm to stuped to know how I got to work.

I to would like to try a GPS cause I do see some nice things about them. For now I use google maps then I can get and overview of the area, we go to a lot of job sights that don't have address on a GPS yet.

What's REALLY fun is when you call for directions and the dimwit on the other end of the line tells you how THEY drive in to work every day...through the trucks-prohibited residential neighborhood also failing to mention the 3-ton-weight-restricted bridge they cross or the 8' railroad underpass they pass under in their little car totally ignorant of the fact that your 80,000 pound truck just can't go that way...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Tell you what...I'll agree to do that just as soon as the members of Congress are required to read & abide by the Constitution, and implement a harsh penalty along the lines of being hung upside down by the toes while being flogged in a car wash where the brushes have had the bristles replaced with strands of barbed wire for anyone who even proposes legislation not expressly permitted under the Constitution. If you cannot cite the exact article and clause where "we the people" yielded the power to act in a certain specific manner to the federal government, you are subject to the aforementioned punishment. As soon as that happens, then Chuckie can propose his silly little law and take his flogging.

• Like 1

Tell you what...I'll agree to do that just as soon as the members of Congress are required to read & abide by the Constitution, and implement a harsh penalty along the lines of being hung upside down by the toes while being flogged in a car wash where the brushes have had the bristles replaced with strands of barbed wire for anyone who even proposes legislation not expressly permitted under the Constitution. If you cannot cite the exact article and clause where "we the people" yielded the power to act in a certain specific manner to the federal government, you are subject to the aforementioned punishment. As soon as that happens, then Chuckie can propose his silly little law and take his flogging.

LMAO Rowdy you are totally right. I like it. I don't know how to give this LIKES as some of you do. I have not learned that on this site yet.

mike