Trucker's GPS

DCR

LMAO Rowdy you are totally right. I like it. I don't know how to give this LIKES as some of you do. I have not learned that on this site yet.

mike

"Like This" button is in the lower right corner of the message (faint shade).

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

When we went to NZ I purchased a Tom Tom for the car and she has a Kiwi accent. It's great for the car but not the truck and helps me when we are working in the city's of VT.( Not too hard to get around).

Love it when she say's "take the third exit at the round about then go straight on" and "when possible turn back"!post-426-0-11052200-1388320954_thumb.jpg

I think my Garmin has a bunch of different voice options, but it's been muted since the novelty of it wore off. Have the silly thing set for quickest route & every time I make a turn or proceed past where it thought I should turn it starts yelling at me that I'm going the wrong way...until it recalculates the route to the way I'm going and my ETA drops a few minutes. Guess it's "quickest route" wasn't REALLY the quickest. Or in truck mode (which I almost NEVER use) it tries routing you up an 8-ton weight limit country road to bypass the bridge that was weight-restricted 20 years ago before they replaced it. Great for interstates...much less useful if you're like me and spend more time on 2-lanes than anywhere else.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Just take your car to a professional body shop and have the scratches repaired. Take the car to a professional detailer to be reorganized and straightened up after they ransacked it. Send the bill to the department, along with a copy of the video showing the 2nd officer stating "you know, we really don't have much to go on..." in reference to the weak, false positive given by the dogs. If they refuse payment, sue. Make the department pull money from their budget to defend these officers' actions. Might cost them their Christmas party next year...or the new squad car they were wanting to buy...or the raises they were counting on. Police departments have even been shut down after being dropped by their insurance companies following too many liability lawsuits. They need to learn that the Constitution DOES protect against tyranny, and that their little department is bound by its restrictions.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Long before buying a GPS, I used MapQuest on local streets and such. Sometime later me and the g/f planned a trip to Hot Springs, NC to relax in one of their hot tubs next to the river. We had no problem until we were deverted past the small village of Hot Springs, down a narrow winding road about 15 miles. I finally decided that we must be off track. So we turned around to go back to the village and asked someone where the hot tub place was at. They said it was just across the RR tracks about 100 yards up the street.

On another trip later in Portsmouth, NH, found out in a rental car that a GPS can get you near your destination but not always up to the address.

mike

I have the Rand McNally truckers GPS for the truck and a Rand McNally RV one for the bus. I like them both but they are not 100 % accurate. I wanted to get one for my grandson who recently started driving a truck and wanted opinions on the different ones available. I decided to go with the Rand McNally one. I agree with everyone. The map and a GPS are a great combination. I map out my route and then see if the GPS agrees. I use the GPS basically for the non routing information it provides - ETA, miles to destination, steep grade ahead, speed and warning if 5 miles over limit. I also like the fact it tracks the miles per state for the IFTA tax.

Ken as for Ruth Ann reading the map that won't work. Years ago we were in a motorhome towing a Jeep and she was navigating us through some back roads when we came upon a dead end on a back road. Had to unhook the Jeep and back up the motorhome to get out of the situation. When I looked at the map I saw there was a gap on the road in the map clearing showing the road ended exactly where we were. Her explanation " I thought the map had a misprint". I still let her read the map but only after I know where I am going.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

I have the Rand McNally truckers GPS for the truck and a Rand McNally RV one for the bus. I like them both but they are not 100 % accurate. I wanted to get one for my grandson who recently started driving a truck and wanted opinions on the different ones available. I decided to go with the Rand McNally one. I agree with everyone. The map and a GPS are a great combination. I map out my route and then see if the GPS agrees. I use the GPS basically for the non routing information it provides - ETA, miles to destination, steep grade ahead, speed and warning if 5 miles over limit. I also like the fact it tracks the miles per state for the IFTA tax.

Ken as for Ruth Ann reading the map that won't work. Years ago we were in a motorhome towing a Jeep and she was navigating us through some back roads when we came upon a dead end on a back road. Had to unhook the Jeep and back up the motorhome to get out of the situation. When I looked at the map I saw there was a gap on the road in the map clearing showing the road ended exactly where we were. Her explanation " I thought the map had a misprint". I still let her read the map but only after I know where I am going.

Oops!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Mike,i have a friend who's a pilot,and I can't think of the term when you fly by landmarks,highways etc. do you know what that's called? can't for the life of me think of it!.............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mike,i have a friend who's a pilot,and I can't think of the term when you fly by landmarks,highways etc. do you know what that's called? can't for the life of me think of it!.............................Mark

Mark, as a joke they can call it ( IFR ) for I Fly Roads. But for real, the correct term for ( IFR ) is Instrument flight rules. That is flying in the clouds and or rain by instruments only. We use other instruments when flying IFR like VOR ( Very High Omni Frequency Range ). When you have the needles lined up for an approach, then you are on glide. You look up and hopefully you see the runway. I'm trying to be brief but It is a lot to explain. Most pilots like flying (VFR) that is Visual Flight Regulations, you are basically flying by looking out the window to see where you are going and enjoying the countryside. You use a sectional chart map and follow the line you drew to the next airport. And by what is called dead reckoning, we use the time between and distance between each checkpoint to help us know where we are in the air. Also use the chart to follow landmarks along the way. BTW.....it is very easy to get lost in the air and for a low time pilot it can get scary. Most of the time bad planning gets a pilot in trouble such as running into clouds are bad weather and keeps on getting deeper into it instead of turning around and returning to a closer airport . Kennedy would be alive today if he had not flown into bad weather and he was not an Instrument rated pilot. Ok I've rambled too much.

Hope this helps Mark.

mike

• Like 1

IFR that's it Mike! my friend was a former Civil Air Patrol pilot from Montana,he was often called upon to look for lost hikers and so-forth he said it was easiest to fly by highways,especially at night-time!.....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.