New Mack motors

i dont know weve had one of our new mack /volvo engine trucks for almost 2 years and havent been towed yet . havent changed a sensor yet . so i think i could haul in nyc for a month without an issue. i haul off road in 90 degree heat and sub zero cold so far its all good. :)

i dont know weve had one of our new mack /volvo engine trucks for almost 2 years and havent been towed yet . havent changed a sensor yet . so i think i could haul in nyc for a month without an issue. i haul off road in 90 degree heat and sub zero cold so far its all good. :)

Well like I always say to anyone who's throwing the dice 'if your winning don't change the dice' so in your case ya gotta stick with makes you happy an what gives ya a good return for your money! But I'm still sticking to my story put em out there an run em like they did back in the day with the weight an road conditions and I'd say the Bull Dog on the new Mack with the Volvo Motor will be laying down on the hood

BULLHUSK

i dont think so bullhusk. thats a big engine 16 liter almost 1000 cubic inch. we pull 100k plus eveyday 12 hrs a day so far no epic fails. will i say itll be running in 25 yrs probably not but i dont think any new truck today will be like the old macks brocks and autocars those days are over.

also what are you running for a fleet ? i think you have western stars and freightliners with detroit series 60 14 liters ?those are electronic right ? your not running a whole fleet of brockways with with 12 v 71 are you ?

Just show me where to find 35 360U's an I'll trade em all in tomorrow no more DEF and get rid a 2 mechanics! But I will say this My w-s an Freightshakers run real good so thats why I buy them on the other hand the Macks an Petes did not work well for me, it seems like the Macks are working real well for you guys and thats good! Ya know I always bought Mopars and most a my friends bought Chevys, cause you could buy parts for them in a druge store! an cheaper then the Dodges! Well in 1978 I gave in and bourgt a new Malibu classic wagon with a CB radio an all the works! I could not go on a long trip with the thing without breakin down!! my friend had this Chrysler New Yorker that he couldn't keep runnin so I traded him heads up....Well that freekin Chevy never let him down!! an the Chrysler 1977 is still runnin today with 300,000 plus mi on her! I do have 2 Macks that I love, one I bought new in 1988 that runs every day and a Superliner E9 500 that I'm settin up for flat bed work! Good Luck with your Macks

BULLHUSK

Sounds like logtruckerman should become a Mack salesman and hire KS to spec out the trucks and then

sell them to Bullhusk. Just a thought. LOL

Now dats funny! I'm just wounderin when Fix It Again Tony an Mopars are gonna team up an bring there class 8 Iaveco' over here with big power an call it a Ram ??

haha. just wanted to say my new titan is in route to ballard mack so im excited cant wait to see it. this is the one ill be getting to drive in the spring . its space blue metallic with mack red frame.

post some pics when you get it (blue and red...nice)

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Bullhusk

Thanks for the kind words about Horwith. In 1978 I drove the first Freightliner father Frank sold, to Lamar Haas, in Dec 1977 after Brockway and DR went out. Always had a good relationship with their shop.

Brocky

Brocky

Bullhusk

Thanks for the kind words about Horwith. In 1978 I drove the first Freightliner father Frank sold, to Lamar Haas, in Dec 1977 after Brockway and DR went out. Always had a good relationship with their shop.

Brocky

I have never delt with such nice people, Frank Horwith would give you a truck, send you over to Allentown Brake an Wheel for a PTO to be put on and tell you to take the truck if you don't like it before your first payment then give it back! If you doubt that story just ask Billy Hiller from Jersey. The two girls run the place now Shelia and her sister two great ladies I deal with Shelia she is just like her father a good business person !! I would not be afraid to send anyone there cause I know they would be treated right

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

Part of macks decline I think was on the dealers too. One in particular (gabrielli) scared all the Mack buyers to Kenworth because the dealer gives a lot better service then they do. You bring a truck there to fix and they do the same thing over and over till its out of warranty and all of a sudden they find the problem and "fix" it but its still broke. then they send you a bill and expect you to pay it. They over priced everybody to where it cost them too much for parts at mack so now KW gets all the construction trucks. Only the diehard Mack towns are still buying them. The rest have petes, KWs, freightshakers and internationals now. The internationals are junk and so are the freightliners theyre buying. They spend more time at the dealer then working or plowing. Our town got one freightliner the state got them a good deal on but it cant push snow with a load on so now theyre buying used R models to replace it. One town said we were at said they would buy Macks but the dealer wont give them a break on the trucks at all. everyone else will drop but not our "wonderful" (cough cough) mack dealer here in CT. KW mechanic told us don't buy these new trucks, they're all junk. Well that's my rant for now. :rolleyes:

Matt

Part of macks decline I think was on the dealers too. One in particular (gabrielli) scared all the Mack buyers to Kenworth because the dealer gives a lot better service then they do. You bring a truck there to fix and they do the same thing over and over till its out of warranty and all of a sudden they find the problem and "fix" it but its still broke. then they send you a bill and expect you to pay it. They over priced everybody to where it cost them too much for parts at mack so now KW gets all the construction trucks. Only the diehard Mack towns are still buying them. The rest have petes, KWs, freightshakers and internationals now. The internationals are junk and so are the freightliners theyre buying. They spend more time at the dealer then working or plowing. Our town got one freightliner the state got them a good deal on but it cant push snow with a load on so now theyre buying used R models to replace it. One town said we were at said they would buy Macks but the dealer wont give them a break on the trucks at all. everyone else will drop but not our "wonderful" (cough cough) mack dealer here in CT. KW mechanic told us don't buy these new trucks, they're all junk. Well that's my rant for now. :rolleyes:

I talked to a UPS driver yesterday an he told me the new Macks aren't doin to good an he would rather have his International back! Are things that bad that you would want a International over a Mack!!

I talked to a UPS driver yesterday an he told me the new Macks aren't doin to good an he would rather have his International back! Are things that bad that you would want a International over a Mack!!

i know we were talking to a town guy that had a brand new 10 wheeler plow truck and he said its one of the worst trucks in the fleet. He said it dont deserve a bulldog on the hood for sure. The rest of their trucks are a few sterlings, a bunch of newer R's and a few old R's.

Matt

you guys can dream about how great the old stuff is but our new ones run every day and the old stuff we were running was broke down all the time the payments are cheaper than the breakdowns. maybe if you dont run alot miles you can get away with old stuff. it wasnt working for our company. try hauling 110k lbs day in day out 100 miles one way with a 25 or 30 yr old truck with 150 les hp than most other trucks on the road and see how well the truck holds together. yeah if your hauling smaller loads a few miles the old trucks do great. also try going down a 2 or 3 mile hill with a dynatard engine break with 110k lbs on your back when all the other trucks have modern engine brakes with 500 or 600 brake horsepower. see how long you do it before you pull hair out.

you guys can dream about how great the old stuff is but our new ones run every day and the old stuff we were running was broke down all the time the payments are cheaper than the breakdowns. maybe if you dont run alot miles you can get away with old stuff. it wasnt working for our company. try hauling 110k lbs day in day out 100 miles one way with a 25 or 30 yr old truck with 150 les hp than most other trucks on the road and see how well the truck holds together. yeah if your hauling smaller loads a few miles the old trucks do great. also try going down a 2 or 3 mile hill with a dynatard engine break with 110k lbs on your back when all the other trucks have modern engine brakes with 500 or 600 brake horsepower. see how long you do it before you pull hair out.

Your jokin with us right?? Cause where I come from there are plenty of Owner Op's running older trucks up an down the NYS Thru. every day haulin over 100,000! Why? Cause they don't have the funds to buy a new truck, a new truck payment is about 2500 a month lets say? So thats 29,280 a year X 60 would be about 150,000 bucks plus Ins. on a new rig? I own trucks from from 1974 to 2013 an they run every day that I have work for them, my 87 R 600 Mack runs 2 trips to Pa when shes workin an thats about 400 mi per day up an down hills !! These older trucks are payin for the newer ones Its just good business to have older trucks that are paid for to carry the newer ones. Guys like JB Hunt and the other big guys have special deals with the truck Mfg's so it is in fact cheaper for these guys to run newer trucks all they do is Oil an filter changes! Just do the math, a guy lets say with 4 trucks has 2 older trucks that are paid for an 2 with notes now if one or two of the older trucks go down lets say for 3 days to a week you are loosing money but only the rev. that they bring into cover your over head, on the other hand when the new trucks go down the bank still gets the payment cause the profit from the older ones (and your truck payment comes from the profit you are makin) is carryin the new ones so if you have 4 new trucks an one or two goes down the bank still gets there money an if it happen enough times you can't make the payments on 4 new trucks. It's been workin for me for about 30 years now but not every one can run new trucks and buy the way I must not leave out the guys that I have inc. me that keep the older stuff runnin cause they are my profit makers!

BULLHUSK

We tried new trucks. Had 1970's DMs and we decided to buy a new truck so there would be less maintenance cost and a be nicer for the drivers. Well that new truck had more problems then anything. Turbos, air compressors, and the transmission is a whole another story. I worked for a major oil company and we ran mostly 1980's R models. The bosses decided to go buy new trucks because they burned a gallon of oil a week (1000 miles a day running them 24/7). The CHs they replaced them with too small of radiators, air compressors throwing rods, fuel accelerator linkages, ring and pinions, etc. Those trucks spent more time at mack then they did on the road. Now they run Peterbilts and got rid of their V****s. another company that got screwed over by mack dealers. I run 80s trucks everyday putign 500 or so miles on them. Got a 1970 dump trailer thats just as good as the new ones but better. Theres a company we work for that uses their trailers for the same thing and already replaced the floors and they're 1 or 2 yrs old. ill stick to old equipment. Dont need a computer and a so called "technician" to fix them and the taxes are cheap on them. I give the town their $5 for taxes for each trailer and everyone's happy.

Ed

dont get me wrong i like the old stuff but believe me ive ran our old 89 rw and been stranded with it many times. last yr i had it because my 04 cl glider was broke down and i went to take off and lost all my air . a valve on the firewall broke off was rotted lucky i wasnt going down a long hill somewhere. i lost the day . the next day a rim broke off while going up the road lost a tire. i lost the day . the next week my dad had it the spring box on the camelback broke off the truck almost tipped over. this yr my dad had it and and a carrier bearing broke right off the truck had to fix that in below zero weather out on the side if the road. this all while our titans are out making money

dont get me wrong i like the old stuff but believe me ive ran our old 89 rw and been stranded with it many times. last yr i had it because my 04 cl glider was broke down and i went to take off and lost all my air . a valve on the firewall broke off was rotted lucky i wasnt going down a long hill somewhere. i lost the day . the next day a rim broke off while going up the road lost a tire. i lost the day . the next week my dad had it the spring box on the camelback broke off the truck almost tipped over. this yr my dad had it and and a carrier bearing broke right off the truck had to fix that in below zero weather out on the side if the road. this all while our titans are out making money

Well It sounds like the formula u are using works for you! But.... That dosn't mean it works for everybody! some of the older and even the new comers with lack of funds arn't dreamers at all they but they are chasing the American dream and that is owning your own business and with the way fuel and rates are today sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is in fact a train!! So what do we do?? we get back up an plug along for the next new day! I have in fact helped some of my drivers start there own buz. by selling them the truck that they drove for me I got them all back but one and that guy tryed to take one of my customers and did in fact take a driver from me, who has quit him!

BULLHUSK