T2090 problem!,

scottwetzel

Ok so here's the quick story..... I bought a superliner about a month ago. Drove it back from VA to FL with no problems other then a little grind when going to high range. Drive it around the next day I get it back and go to start off from a stop and have no right side gears ( 3 4 and 7 8). Take it to a mechanic who we use and he takes the top cover off and says it needs a shift fork. Ok. Puts it back together and still nothing. Trans comes out at this point and the yoke will spin but nothing inside so the mechanic tells me there is major damage inside most likely main shaft is broke not to mention the synchro for low high which alone is close to 1000 bucks. It's strange how this happened. I mean I drove it the entire way from VA to FL with nothing wrong then all of a sudden I need a trans. The truck is a 1988 but it only has 285k on it. Anyone else have this happen? I have a line on a used t2090 for around 1000 bucks but I'm worried about what that one will be like when I get it in. Or I could buy a reman for about 3900. Either way the check book gets lighter unexpectedly.

I had the same problem with a 12 speeds. I think the countershaft went first and the fork followed. If you go from the 9 mack to a 9 fuller you'll be loosing overdrive.

I think I'd like to stay with the mack 9 speed. I always heard how durable the mack transmissions are then this happens to mine!!!

The synchronizer will cost about $1000, add the hi gear, lo gear, fork, gaskets, oil and seal, and you're way past $1000. Add labor and you're about $1000 cheaper then a reman. In the end you have a good rear case and a questionable main case. Not to mention the warranty isnt really anything.

If the trans is on the floor, go with the reman. All good parts and a 2 year warranty. 258k miles, reman trans is the way to go. Parts prices are up and reman prices are down.

I repair/rebuild Mack gears. A couple years ago all T2 and T3 trans were repaired or rebuilt. Now, when I do a repair part list and compare it to the reman price, the difference isnt worth the money saved. If its on the ground, get the reman and be done with it.

• Like 1

Ok so here's the quick story..... I bought a superliner about a month ago. Drove it back from VA to FL with no problems other then a little grind when going to high range. Drive it around the next day I get it back and go to start off from a stop and have no right side gears ( 3 4 and 7 8). Take it to a mechanic who we use and he takes the top cover off and says it needs a shift fork. Ok. Puts it back together and still nothing. Trans comes out at this point and the yoke will spin but nothing inside so the mechanic tells me there is major damage inside most likely main shaft is broke not to mention the synchro for low high which alone is close to 1000 bucks. It's strange how this happened. I mean I drove it the entire way from VA to FL with nothing wrong then all of a sudden I need a trans. The truck is a 1988 but it only has 285k on it. Anyone else have this happen? I have a line on a used t2090 for around 1000 bucks but I'm worried about what that one will be like when I get it in. Or I could buy a reman for about 3900. Either way the check book gets lighter unexpectedly.

I had this problem with my S-Liner twice, when the fork breaks it leaves the trans in gear (you not knowing this) so when you shift into another gear you are between two gears! Bingo main shaft breaks and sometimes takes the trans. Case with it! The problem is the top cover on the 2090 trans-Mack has updated the top cover two or three times don't bother fixing this transmission go with a reman with the warranty and I'm sure the top cover has been updated You usually hear some sort of a bang or a noise when this happens I'm surprised that you did not hear anything?

Good Luck

Bullhusk

• Like 1

From what I've heard most of the trouble with the 2090 is caused from trying to shift them like a Fuller 9 speed. They were meant to be shifted Lo(1st) 2nd,3rd,4th,split to hi and come back into LO(now 5th) 6th,7th,8th,9th. So you use 4 gears on lo side and 5 on hi side instead of other way around.It takes getting used to,but it works really nice.Unless I have to come to a dead stop I rarely have to go back into the lo range.

Mike the early T2090 I had in my 89 Superliner had the Fuller RTO-9 shift pattern, but my newer CH had the shift pattern as you describe, go figure?

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

Yeah my 93CH had the newer 2090 pattern, low 1-2-3 range shift 4-5-6-7-8. Supposedly Mack made that change to get you into high range faster and keep you there for around town driving. I would call around for a Weller reman and a Mack reman trans and go reman then you know its all been done and you shouldn't have to do it again.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Read above.....if that's wrong now, there's metal in some of those bearings and sooner or later you'll be in it again.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

unless you plan on changing all the bearings and synchronizers and a total rebuild I would go reman, as everyone has said you will be back in it at some point, what it costs now and next time will be more than the cost of the reman.

While you are at it I would do the clutch and clutch brake.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

You won't lose the overdrive in a Fuller,as long as you replace it with like a RTO or RTX(not an RT)-14609.If you go that way.

I think he meant the ratio, the Mack is a .71 and the Eaton is a .73. Good choice going with the Weller, I have used a few of them and they will stand behind them and pay for part of the removal and re install if anything is wrong.

I think he meant the ratio, the Mack is a .71 and the Eaton is a .73. Good choice going with the Weller, I have used a few of them and they will stand behind them and pay for part of the removal and re install if anything is wrong.

Thanks. I can't wait to get it in and shift some gears!!

Im not a fan of PAI trans parts.

Haven't noted anything about PAI in the written though.

I also have T2090 and it works like a grindet-out poor can of gears. The main box.

The splitter doesn't make me worry.

There's the second the same truck with T2090 also.

The splitter there is half-dead but the main box shifted well as long as I tested it once in a low range.

So maybe is there a chance to work out a good one of the two?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012