Greenstein G-Model

I thought this was a pretty neat picture! rare to see a G-Model,especially pulling for Greenstein! according to my Dad,many O/O's leased on there in the 50's and 60's ran Macks,but in later years they kinda lost favor and it was mostly Petes and KW's in the later years. My Dad had several life-long friends leased to Greenstein,one (Nick Gatto) who ran a really nice C.O.E Marmon....................................Mark

Mark,

We had a lease operator that had a G-75 painted in our colors, I'd love to find a picture of it but I don't think any exist.

Before the G model he had an International Sightliner, and after the G model he had an International Emeryville.

The Emeryville was fitted with a horseshoe that was cut into three pieces, two pieces tilted with the cab and the bottom was stationary.

Ron

• Like 1

I have seen a color picture of that G model,Mark.It was painted RED & white! Kind of unusual for Greenstein.I figured it was leased on with the promise that next repaint will be in some shade of GREEN! Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Great pic Mark. I always liked the fleet that they ran.

You could tell them coming at you from a good distance. Also the unforgettable American flag on the shiny reefer trailer as well.

• Like 1

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

Indeed! a sharp fleet,i saw many of them when I was young,with my Dad at the Vineland Produce Auction (The Block) Greenstein had a "satellite" terminal in Vineland as well as Armellini Express Lines.................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

No doubt Al ! Greenstein was one of the last carriers I remember that still had (and enforced) appearance standards for their leased trucks ie; washed,clean,display of the name across the bumper etc. My Dad always told me Shendel (Greenstein) had a soft spot for "her" drivers,always willing to lend money,help out however possible when needed,and the guys always went over and above in return! Dad did the occasional trip lease with them in his produce hauling days (late fifties-early sixties) and I remember one trip in particular,he went to Fla. with one stop,made 13-14 pickups in south Fla. loaded back for Hunts Point,NY,I believe he told me the whole round trip paid the TRUCK somewhere around $3-400.00! plus $50.00 expense money!.................................Mark

• Like 2

I had heard good things about her also,Mark.That was a different time,for sure.I'm sure there are a few (and I do mean a few) operations that are still a "family" type organization.But they are rapidly disappearing,too.I saw that G-model color pic at the Heartland Chapter-ATHS Christmas Party/Dinner at Iowa 80 last Sunday.We went there after our detour to the Harbison kennel! One of the members had a photo album that was loaned to him from a gal that was a waitress at a truck stop in northwest Illinois years ago.What a blast from the past.She must have taken a picture of every guy and his truck that stopped there.Better yet,she had written every guys name down on each pictures border! We had a great time talking with the old-timers and even showing a few that there was such a thing as a N model Mack (they all thought a certain livestock hauler was a Ford C!) Had a nice catered in dinner with 3 generations of the Moon family hosting/serving us!

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Mark,

We had 4 different lease operators over the years that I can remember.

Their tractor #'s were in the 600 series, those numbers went from #601 which was an H-67 Mack to #608 which was a 400 series Brockway.

#604 was actually leased by us from either the Mack Company or through Horner Mack, I don't know for sure how that worked, but we ended up buying it

and it became our unit #168 which was the first F-715 we owned.

#168 was a 1963 and the four that we purchased new #169 through #172 were 1964's

#601 is the H-67 on the right and was owned by the gentleman on the right in the picture.

The invoice is for #169 the first of the "F" models that we bought.

This is the one that Mike yarnall owns today.

Ron

Thanks Ron! Who is who in the group picture?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Thanks Ron! Who is who in the group picture?

Only ones I remember are the last five.

Howard Monroe who was our agent in Lexington, KY.

Wilson Slaughter, driver from West Chester, PA

Walter Yohn, driver from West Chester.

Pappy Gannon, driver from West Chester.

Herb Maughan, driver and owner operator from Laurel MD.

Ron

I had heard good things about her also,Mark.That was a different time,for sure.I'm sure there are a few (and I do mean a few) operations that are still a "family" type organization.But they are rapidly disappearing,too.I saw that G-model color pic at the Heartland Chapter-ATHS Christmas Party/Dinner at Iowa 80 last Sunday.We went there after our detour to the Harbison kennel! One of the members had a photo album that was loaned to him from a gal that was a waitress at a truck stop in northwest Illinois years ago.What a blast from the past.She must have taken a picture of every guy and his truck that stopped there.Better yet,she had written every guys name down on each pictures border! We had a great time talking with the old-timers and even showing a few that there was such a thing as a N model Mack (they all thought a certain livestock hauler was a Ford C!) Had a nice catered in dinner with 3 generations of the Moon family hosting/serving us!

Those pictures would be good for Double Clutch or Wheels Of Time articles. Bob Ward showed truck pictures from when he worked in a truck stop in Iowa in some issues of Wheels Of Time some years back - often telling about the truck or its driver. They were very interesting.

In old truck pictures from the west coast, you see west coast type trucks. The other place that west coast style trucks are seen is in the Florida produce haulers pictures.

I don't remember where it was,but there was a truck-wash somewhere in the mid-west maybe? that took a picture of EVERY truck that came through! had literally thousands of pictures up on the walls! This one is of my Dad's 1972 White-Freightliner,My Dads on the right and his co-driver Don Leveck taken there circa 72-74.......................................Mark

post-5836-0-85200000-1387122299_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Nice! I have one of those as well,but its in pretty crappy shape! I have a couple Ralstoy NAVL trucks too,along with several Winross NAVL outfits.. Starting to get overloaded on moving vans here!............................................Mark

Might have to get an old logoed NAVL wagon to put all your treasures in,Mark! :loldude: (Mrs. Vision might say,"Good,you move in there with all your TREASURES too!") LOL!!

• Like 1