Hey Leslie those 15/16 nuts on the frame are actually metric 23mm I believe maybe 24 I cant remember, oh and theyre body bound bolts, or mine were anyway, tough suckers to get off, dont try to turn the bolt it will break stuff, you gotta turn the nut a little first.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Hey Leslie those 15/16 nuts on the frame are actually metric 23mm I believe maybe 24 I cant remember, oh and theyre body bound bolts, or mine were anyway, tough suckers to get off, dont try to turn the bolt it will break stuff, you gotta turn the nut a little first.

Those bolts your talking about should be body bound. I started to work for mack in 65 and they were same in old trucks that were 15 years old then.But that is what keeps things tight.

glenn akers

Some good weasel pee and the right size wrench is a good start. The flame wrench is a good helper when all else fails too. Ditch the pipe and get a good 18" ratchet. Also get some 3/4 or 1" drive stuff. You can break lots of stuff with your bare hands...don't get the cheap stuff either. It's a waste of time and money.

Love that picture of the kid hanging on the wrench above! Laughed my ass off.

Greg

Got the plant's 3/4 impact...a lot of heat and some serious impact action got them both!

The whole reason for this was that the exhaust bracket was leaning out...instead of bending I took the thing off to find out why and found that the rust spreading was the culprit!

At least now I KNOW why they stopped using the pass side fuel tank! Bracket broken, repaired, broken again...I guess they just figured it would be okay as long as they kept it empty!

post-6773-0-08570400-1382223427_thumb.jp

• Like 1

30 year old AMERICAN MADE S-K!

hehe,,SK that was my guess,,,i also have one,,,and use it most of the time....its done allotta work,,,past 30 years,,,just removed power steering pump,,wednesday,,,off my DM,started working on that again,,but i use 1 inch breaker for big stuff...,,allotta times you can borrow one,from your local rental outfit,,,or home depot,good luck partner...bob

Got the plant's 3/4 impact...a lot of heat and some serious impact action got them both!

The whole reason for this was that the exhaust bracket was leaning out...instead of bending I took the thing off to find out why and found that the rust spreading was the culprit!

At least now I KNOW why they stopped using the pass side fuel tank! Bracket broken, repaired, broken again...I guess they just figured it would be okay as long as they kept it empty!

attachicon.gifIMG_9809.JPG

I might have one of those brackets. They are the same on the MH and I've parted out a couple.

attachicon.gifIMG_9809.JPG

I will say Mack is persistent with their design,,,,,They still use that spacer for the exhaust bracket on the CL's For all the Salt to sit.

Also check for any cracks on the exhaust bracket,,,,They lose their tensile strength over the years and shake allot

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

I will say Mack is persistent with their design,,,,,They still use that spacer for the exhaust bracket on the CL's For all the Salt to sit.

Also check for any crack on the exhaust bracket,,,,They lose their tensile strength over the years and shake allot

That's because the CL had the same frame and brackets as the Superliner.

That's because the CL had the same frame and brackets as the Superliner.

True,,, and that is why I told him to look at CL parts for his duel setup,,when he ask awhile back.

Only if Mack had moved the tank bracket up a few inches they would have been able to mount the bracket flat on the frame

I thought it was mounted off the frame so water and debris would run out and not sit behind it, or so it was designed anyway.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I thought it was mounted off the frame so water and debris would run out and not sit behind it, or so it was designed anyway.

That 1/8 inch plate is not going to let much dirt out,,,,,,,,,,,and as you can see it didn't work

It all depends on the size of the fuel tank if it will be spaced or it will be direct mount

The main mounting plate is not flat on the back...it has about a 6 inch square of material sticking out 3/32nds...the outer flange would need the spacer even if it was not mounted to the fuel tank hanger...kind of a weird design...I am sure there is a reason...