Clutch Brake

If no other clutch problem, replace clutch brake with a 2 piece one old 1 can be cut out with a air chiesel or a cutting torch, not easy working in tight spot but we do it if there is no other clutch problem. They usually don last as long as a factory clutch brake but if it go bad again it can easily be replaced again.

The hardest thing on a clutch brake is the driver and I mean if you hold the clutch down against the brake any time the wheels are moving while in gear the clutch brake is acting as a brake to stop the the wheels from turning.

that's exactly right Glenn, I'm not a mechanic, but I learned this when I first started driving. A lot of drivers don't seem to understand this, I see lots of drivers in fairly new trucks get in a truck that's idling go to put it in gear and just sit there and grind before finally just jamming it in gear because they've worn the clutch brake out.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

as glenn said two 1/4 in tangs on a input shaft cant hold 40,000 lbs my advice is if you run off road set clutch brake to grab @ 1/2 in. from very bottom of pedal travel. if on road 1 in. works fine. there are several styles to chose from one uses screws to hold together the two haves the other uses a rollpin. I would suggest the latter for a mack trans. due to the under slung cross shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a new clutch brake and could not get pedal adjustments to specks, then discovered the clutch cable that was formerly installed was a replacement cable build wrong from the original, and they disposed of the original. Does anyone know/have the correct clutch cable for a 1983 Mack , model WS788LST, vin 1M2Y15C3DM001630, I could purchase? Even an old one or used one that I could have copied? Also need a drivers side windshield and cannot find one. Any suggestions?

Edited by ForkliftJim

I installed a new clutch brake and could not get pedal adjustments to specks, then discovered the clutch cable that was formerly installed was a replacement cable build wrong from the original, and they disposed of the original. Does anyone know/have the correct clutch cable for a 1983 Mack , model WS788LST, vin 1M2Y15C3DM001630, I could purchase? Even an old one or used one that I could have copied? Also need a drivers side windshield and cannot find one. Any suggestions?

... I know who can get you exactly what you need. Call Mack One Call @ 800-866-1177 and ask for the phone number to the Mack Museum. They will be able to assist with locating any old parts.