Question on painting wheel rims

I'm not close to doing this yet but I have two questions about 20" rims. In the 60's, Mack used a light gray on the rims from the factory that where used on Dayton style wheel hubs. I have been given some paint info from the museum, but the gray appears to be a little darker than I remember as I believe a few different shades were used over those years.

Also, when I get to the point of a repaint of the entire rig, I want to remove the rims and have them painted separate from the hubs, then reinstall them back onto the Dayton hubs. i have been told that on the rear duals, the rims tend to get scratched when tightening the dogs/clamps down onto the hub/rim, mainly because the outside rim is usually initially cocked a bit..... Is this true? I wouldn't want to scratch freshly finished rims....or, have some of the restorers painted them while installed? If so, it doesn't seem like a good way to get a factory fresh look.

shouldn't if your carefull,,,hand tighten lugs is one way to prevent it,,,recommend a helper,,to hold rim up,,while you start the lugs and keepers...good luck...they get more scratched putting the tires back on the rims..bob

• Like 1

just painted mine 2 days before Macungie, masked off 6 tires, both sides, let me tell you I was sick of taping!. ended up just using rattle cans but I bought Acrylic enamel in a rattle cal so it should last a little bit, bought medium gray Duplicolor I think. the tube type rims are easier to get on and off but scratch easier. you can wait a few days and use tape on them so you don't scratch the rims. I know a tubless 22'' rim is a bitch to get off a Dayton wheel when its on the inside dual. has to go on and come off JUST right because of the hump inside a tubeless rim unlike a tube type 3 piece rim which is flat all the way across.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I think you will like the results from these two paint can products, one or the other. I have sprayed the paint and back it up with a paint thinner rag then when finished use some Armor-All on tires. I've had very good results. It will save you time and tape.

mike

My experience with Dayton's is that you will always scratch the rim when installing the locking dogs and tighten down with the nuts... There is no way to prevent it as they make solid. contact. I would prep paint install then touch them up...also before you paint the rims look to see if there are tabs welded to each side of the air valve stem... You will thank yourself later if the wheel slips on the new paint...

Ultimately when you do go to reset the wheels on the rims, you will scratch something somewhere somehow- it's unavoidable. Just accept it as one accepts the fact that the income tide will destroy the sandcastle you just worked on for three hours.

When your paint guy mixes up your paint, always always always have him (or her....) mix up some extra for you to put into a quart AND a gallon can BUT WITHOUT THE HARDENER!!!! Have him throw in the additive that keeps paint without hardener fresh (think "Sta-Bil" for paint without hardener in it....I cant remember what the product is called.....) Get a quart for small touch ups and a gallon for bigger touch ups. Dont forget to get the hardener from the guy who mixes the paint for you.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS