V8, 10 speed, Superliner, 400 hp?

How will a 1982 V8, supposedly 400 hp with 10 speed Mack transmission, compare in durability to a 300 hp 6 cyl. Mack with a 5 speed? Will the V8 run with a 3406B, 8V92TA, or 12V71? I think, after the nuclear armageddon holocaust, the surviving cockroaches will be crawling out from under, and driving away in, R Models with 300's and 5 speeds....

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3802191911.html

To give you an idea of the V8's power, I was doing the shuttle run between Hostess (CBC)'s Minneapolis and Rochester, MN bakeries back in 1980 with a '79 IH cabover with a Detroit 6V-92TT at 307 HP and a 9 speed. Pretty fast accelerating truck, especially that day because this was the last shuttle of the day and only half full, so the total weight was maybe 40,000 pounds at most. So I come up on a red stoplight and there's a flatbed ahead of me with a load of structural steel, obviously loaded to the 80,000 pound legal limit, so I get into the left lane. Surprise! I could only stay even with him up to 30 MPH or so, and then he pulled ahead. Shoulda known better than to try to pass a Superliner with an E-9 V8, even though he was pulling twice the weight my truck was!

• Like 1

That truck looks real rough, as in not cared for. Speaking to the Cat 3406 and before I get grief,,,,,I like the V-8 macks always have, but my Superliner has the 3406C in it with an 8LL and she is no slouch. Sorry have to defend my trucks motor,,,,,lol

• Like 2

An E9 is an awesome motor until you have to work on one that someone didn't take care of or abused. They are not as forgiving as the old e6's. If you have to do major work on an E9 in today's world you will soon know that the highest priced items are not painted cat yellow but, instead Mack gray!

How will an E9 compare with an E6 300, I doubt those words have ever made a sentence before! I do love in E9, as far as pure brute force lugging power goes the only thing I have ever driven that was close was an N14 525hp that was cranked up so hot it black smoked running up hills ( N14 is an electronic engine=no smoke) and would spin the tires under a load if you acted a fool. As far as longevity goes there not much that equals an E6 300, maybe an Etech 300, the V8 is not as forgiving for sure. I always get the fuel mileage question too, my 84 made over 560 rwhp and got 6.4-6.8mpg you don't have to use the throttle with a good running E9 just bump the pedal and shift it, it'll go.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Wait a minute, would an 92 even have an E9? Didn't the E9 go into trucks in the 84 model year? I know 78/79/80 trucks I have seen had 865 V8's

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Wait a minute, would an 92 even have an E9? Didn't the E9 go into trucks in the 84 model year? I know 78/79/80 trucks I have seen had 865 V8's

82. 82, not 92

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

That truck looks real rough, as in not cared for. Speaking to the Cat 3406 and before I get grief,,,,,I like the V-8 macks always have, but my Superliner has the 3406C in it with an 8LL and she is no slouch. Sorry have to defend my trucks motor,,,,,lol

you and me both jack, I run a 3406c 425hp in my Pete. It is turned up and with a 15 speed and 3.70 rears she will go up hill and on the flats, just saying LOL!

3406C? in an RW713?

Wasn't that the one with the Electronic TPS? The sensor on the throttle was a huge silver cylinder. CAT's first attempt at Electrifying the 3406B. I've only seen one 3406C (PEEC electronics) engine in a Mack and it was a CL test truck which was originally tested in Canada by John Grant Haulage in Mississauga but got sold to D&W forwarders. John Grant didn't want it because it smoked like crazy at 460hp rating. Never knew the 3406C was an option in the RW.

3406C? in an RW713?

Wasn't that the one with the Electronic TPS? The sensor on the throttle was a huge silver cylinder. CAT's first attempt at Electrifying the 3406B. I've only seen one 3406C (PEEC electronics) engine in a Mack and it was a CL test truck which was originally tested in Canada by John Grant Haulage in Mississauga but got sold to D&W forwarders. John Grant didn't want it because it smoked like crazy at 460hp rating. Never knew the 3406C was an option in the RW.

my 3406c is all mechanical, my truck is a 1996. The PEEC motor was out sometime around there but I know you could have got a mechanical up to 97, 98
  • Like 1

For you Cat guys. We never said a 3406 Cat was a slouch.I've drove a few trucks with 400 and 425 Hp and I really liked them. I have to say that they are my second preference after an E9. The nice thing about them the're easy to get parts for and relatively cheap for today's standards. And you can get th worked on anywhere. A lot of guys are scared to tackle any major work on an E9 .

A B model Cat is a monster if its set right for sure, by that token theres nothing wrong with a good running Big Cam Cummins 855 either, both have great potential but stock for stock a 400 Cummins,400 Cat and Mack 400 E9 the E9 is gonna make em look bad, nothing wrong with any of them really. If I were going to build a truck to drive every day and wanted longevity and cheap rebuild potential I would probably go with either an E6 4V, E7 Mechanical or a Big Cam Cummins (not a 444). I think a properly set up Mechanical E7 or E6 4 valve is hard to beat for reliability, but a Big Cam Cummins 350 or 400 will pull better if set right and you can keep it conservative on the fuel to keep the temps down and itll last a long time, then when its time to rebuild its cheaper than the B model Cat by about a third. I wouldnt count a 425 B model Cat out right up front but if I were going for the longevity versus cost the Cummins 855 wins in my experience, just dont get it too hot and your golden.

• Like 1

3406C? in an RW713?

My truck is an RW 753 and the motor is a 3406B sorry typo era you are correct, other wise great motor just had it turned down from Cat told me previous owner had maxed out pump to get it to almost 500hp and the only smoke was at an idle, the motor was set back to its factory 425hp and runs nice.

• Like 1

My truck is an RW 753 and the motor is a 3406B sorry typo era you are correct, other wise great motor just had it turned down from Cat told me previous owner had maxed out pump to get it to almost 500hp and the only smoke was at an idle, the motor was set back to its factory 425hp and runs nice.

TURNED DOWN! I dont think I know anybody that has ever turned an engine down, thats like a sin or something isnt it? geez Ill lose sleep over that for you! Im sitting here wanting more power, more dammit more, I think Ill be happy with about 700-800rwhp, my 84 was close to 600rwhp and I gotta out do that.

• Like 1

If you're in the market for a good E9 powered Superliner in way better shape than that one I have one that needs a good home 1990 RW700 E9 400hp 12spd Mack trans 38,000llb rears 11r22.5 rubber 3/8"single frame new 2 line wetline 500,000 km or 300,000mi we were down to $17,500 now down to $15,000 might do better if you are not a tire kicker. It's my dad's truck and he's sick with lung cancer and not doing so well right now and things are not looking up. Mom is on my case to sell it for her it needs to go now. A lot of truck for the money.

TURNED DOWN! I dont think I know anybody that has ever turned an engine down, thats like a sin or something isnt it? geez Ill lose sleep over that for you! Im sitting here wanting more power, more dammit more, I think Ill be happy with about 700-800rwhp, my 84 was close to 600rwhp and I gotta out do that.

Thats true we all want bigger and faster,,,,,lol,,,,But for me i had to to pass the state inspection she smoked a little when ideling. Believe me I liked the power, but for me the truck is for play now no longer a work truck the 425hp is fine.

• 6 years later...
7 hours ago, Zx120 said:

Does a 3406 sound like a E9?

Looking at buying one in a superliner but want the throaty sound

Nothing sounds like an E9. 

Except a Scania V8,  and most know why.

A 3406 Cat has a sound all its own.