06 granite oil over fill

Hi all

new to this forum - Bear with me -

Just purchased a truck from a dealer out east- 2006 granite cv713

460 engine

When we took delivery it was supposed to be serviced. 184,000 mi on engine

Noticed oil on riders side lower engine in the excess -

Checked oil and it was over filled

Ran truck for 1 week - no oil leak until we loaded truck and pulled backhoe.

Oil again came out lower riders side. Not sure exact location

We dumped the oil and did another service - Drained about 12 gal out. Replaced with 10 as per manufactures spec.

No smell of fuel in oil.

Now we will run again

Any thoughts

Appreciate any advice as to a procedure to follow

Nick

Like Hatcity said, check the oil everyday!!! Even if it is raining out.

Add bumping the tires and checking of the lights EVERDAY!

It is easier to fix a problem in the yard than on the side of the road.

A couple of places the oil could be coming from. Grab a flashlight and start hunting if you see the problem again.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

"never assume anything on a pre trip" are words i stand by (and damn proud of it). Id take working in the yard over working on the shoulder any day. :)

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

I'd hit the block with some gunk degreaser and wash it down to clear the oil. Keep a watchful eye as the guys stated and it should show up if you indeed have a leak. If all else fails, you can put some additive into the oil that shows up with a UV light. It shows yellow with the light and can help pinpoint the culprit. I believe it comes in a kit with a light. Your local outoparts store should carry it.

Slack adjusters are critical too...a fire truck in boston area drove into a building as the last set of brakes had come out of adjustment leaving them with none...that was a few years back. The driver was killed if memory serves.

Good luck.

So what was the problem here? I see no need to do anything you shouldn't already be doing. You knew it was over when you got it, you ran it hard and it pushed some of the excess out. So I guess I see no need in unnecessary expense, file it right and it should be fine. If it "makes" oil then you're getting coolant in the oil probably from a bad oil cooler, but it sounds like it started over and tried to get to where it wanted to be.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

So what was the problem here? I see no need to do anything you shouldn't already be doing. You knew it was over when you got it, you ran it hard and it pushed some of the excess out. So I guess I see no need in unnecessary expense, file it right and it should be fine. If it "makes" oil then you're getting coolant in the oil probably from a bad oil cooler, but it sounds like it started over and tried to get to where it wanted to be.

If the oil has a "chocolate milk" color you likely have coolant in the oil. I still recommend an oil sample/analysis if you continue to "make" oil. Cheap way to check the engine condition.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Another way this series of engines has been known to "make oil" (more the fuel diluted type) has been through leaking o-rings at the Unit pump to block mating surfaces.

In one case at a fleet I worked at, of a 15 truck order 2 of our engine blocks were replaced because the bore of the unit pump o-ring mating surface wouldn't seal. Both trucks made so much oil it was coming out of the breather at the front timing cover. The Mack dealer tried thicker o-rings to no avail. The unit pump bore on a hole was oversized. 1 in each block. In some cases this will show signs of hard starting or loss of power due to poor fuel pressure in the feed cavity, but not in every case. As was stated before, if the level has been adjusted and she ain't makin oil.......Let that dog run.....

I was driving a detroit one time and it started dumping fuel into the oil. I looked out the passenger side and it was blowing oil out all over the entire side of the truck. Pulled over, pulled dip stick and it was overfilled, thin, smelled like diesel.

Be careful your not getting diesel in the block. I know with the older detroits this was an issue, so it might not be your issue. (what i've been told anyways. could be incorrect information)

• 4 weeks later...

NICK DID YOU ever find your problem with the oil being over full?I have a 2006 cxn 613 tractor that is doing the same thing.The shop will change the oil and within 1 week it will be over full and also the oil pressure will be around 20 pounds below normal.

NICK DID YOU ever find your problem with the oil being over full?I have a 2006 cxn 613 tractor that is doing the same thing.The shop will change the oil and within 1 week it will be over full and also the oil pressure will be around 20 pounds below normal.

Thats sounds like something is leaking into the oil like diesel fuel

Matt

Places to check after oil sample confirms fuel in oil, unit pump O-rings , supply fuel pump the shaft seal lets go some times, end of fuel rail block plug behind front cover . have seen power steering pump shaft seal let go also but you would notice this if you checked powersteering fluid level. And if its coolant leaking most likey piston liner to counter bore or core plugs in head. If the oil cooler was leaking you would have oil in coolant because oil psi is greater then coolant psi. Do oil sample first only costs couple bucks and is money well spent