GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

This General is about a mile up the road from my house and I have been staring at this thing for over a year. The house looks abandoned but there is a camper on the property too with a for sale sign and I was hoping to get a phone number to call about it. I finally stopped today on my way by and what I thought was a for sale sign was actually a sign that said "do not steal this truck it is registered and insured". There was also a reference to what I believe was another vehicle on the property that was scrapped without their permission. Unfortunately, there was no phone number anywhere. So I took a couple quick pics and left before anyone stopped me since I was really on private property.

My next move it to call the number on the truck and see if the old company has any information on how to contact the owner.

post-11944-0-08842600-1364865474_thumb.j

post-11944-0-25535800-1364865501_thumb.j

post-11944-0-02103500-1364865529_thumb.j

This would be a nice day cab to haul this trailer:

post-11944-0-64825800-1364865568.jpg

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3689611535.html

• Like 2

I just realized how much a General looks like a CH with a Superliner I hood.

The General was built before the CH, so the CH looks more like a General. I don't remember but did the General predate the Superliner? The initial design of the CH resembled both the General and Louisville.

• Like 2

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

:SMOKIE-LFT: I think the Superliner and the GMC General came out around the same time. The Superliner was built longer, because General Motors sold the heavy truck division to White which became what we know as Volvo now back in the late 80's.

GMC Generals and Chevy Bisons are some neat trucks, I got to drive one withn an 8V92 once and have kinda half wanted one ever since just because its in that Big truck/real truck driver era. I wouldnt mind having a Brigadier actually.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I almost bought a Brigadier in 87 with a 6v92 and a ten speed. What nixed the deal was the dealer which was Roches Garage in Callicoon NY had to cut and move the frame rails as GMC didn't have the right length from the factory for a 16 ft body. I bought the International instead.

Never spoken to him,but theres a guy down here near me,that still uses a GMC General to pull a logging trailer,its not a show-piece by any means,but its in nice shape for its age,and its not a detroit!..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

:SMOKIE-LFT: I wouldn't mind having a GMC Astro cabover. I grew up around the corner from the Funk's seed corn plant at Cottam Ont. They had a sharp 5or 6 truck fleet of Astros, but by the time I was a teenager working over there during the summers and in the fall after school and weekends, they scaled back to a 1 79 astro tri-axle straight with a silver 6V92 Detroit,an 81 GMC single axle straight truck and a 73 astro with a 350 detroit just for shunting cob trailers at the plant during the fall harvest. I spent a bit of the early summers riding around with Art the driver of the astro straight truck picking up seed returns from dealers, which most of the time were just at small farmers where you would end up carrying every bag of seed across a barnyard and load the truck by hand that's why I got to go. My dad had a Freightliner cabover at the time and Art would always tease my about it, and hack on it and praise his astro and I used to tease him back by praising dads Freightliner and hacking on his astro, used to be fun. Generals Brigadiers and Astros were all pretty cool trucks back in the day.

I drove a brand new single axle Astro for Atlas Van Lines when i was still a company driver, 300 Cummins,10 speed,air-ride,nothing fancy,but it was a damn good truck,never had any "issues" at all with it. The C.O.E Freightliners that replaced the Astros were another story! real junk!....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I called the paving company today that once owned it. The person I spoke with didn't know anything about the truck but said they will ask around and call me back if they find anything. I don't have a lot of faith in people who say they are going to do something when they are not getting something out of it but we'll see.

The General was built before the CH, so the CH looks more like a General. I don't remember but did the General predate the Superliner? The initial design of the CH resembled both the General and Louisville.

The 5 Star General 1978/79 The RWS 1978

post-146-0-70266000-1364956264_thumb.jpg post-146-0-35033600-1364956239_thumb.jpg

from 1979 GMC brochure from 1981 Mack brochure

Look very similar, always liked the Generals and others in the GMC line.

post-146-0-40202700-1364956209_thumb.jpg

from 1983 GMC brochure, aluminum cab ,fiberglass doors, offered 108" and 116" BBC.

Detroit,Cummins, and CAT engines. single stack ;)

FW

The 5 Star General 1978/79 The RWS 1978

attachicon.gifphoto (160).JPG attachicon.gifphoto (159).JPG

from 1979 GMC brochure from 1981 Mack brochure

Look very similar, always liked the Generals and others in the GMC line.

attachicon.gifphoto (158).JPG

from 1983 GMC brochure, aluminum cab ,fiberglass doors, offered 108" and 116" BBC.

Detroit,Cummins, and CAT engines. single stack ;)

FW

Thanks for the pics and info. Both good looking trucks. Who copied who? Did GM spy on Mack or Mack spy on GM?

Ken

Wonder if anyone who lives around the property would know who owns it, or may have a contact number?

Tom

Good idea Tom. There's a farm stand next to the house. I can always try to ask them. And I am still working on that IH Loadstar in PA too. From no big trucks to many in no time!

I spoke with the Paving co today. Really nice guy and I was surprised he called. They sold the truck to the guy 8 years ago and a month after he passed away. He didn't have any contact Info for the family though but gave me a name to try to look up. He said its got a V8 Detroit that ran like a bear. Said that truck could run 110mph and even with 60k on a trailer it would do 70-75mph with ease. So I have one more piece to the puzzle but still not closer to contacting the owners.

I have long thought that it's odd that the cab appears to be too wide for the hood on the Generals & Bisons (whereas the Mack cab & hood are the same width like other manufacturers). GM could have tapered/flared the rear of the hood to match the cab, but instead they morphed the front of the cab to mate to the hood. It's unique.

I spoke with the Paving co today. Really nice guy and I was surprised he called. They sold the truck to the guy 8 years ago and a month after he passed away. He didn't have any contact Info for the family though but gave me a name to try to look up. He said its got a V8 Detroit that ran like a bear. Said that truck could run 110mph and even with 60k on a trailer it would do 70-75mph with ease. So I have one more piece to the puzzle but still not closer to contacting the owners.

Keep on the hunt. This might be a good truck to buy (if the price is not out of sight). Good luck and keep us posted.

Ken

I have long thought that it's odd that the cab appears to be too wide for the hood on the Generals & Bisons (whereas the Mack cab & hood are the same width like other manufacturers). GM could have tapered/flared the rear of the hood to match the cab, but instead they morphed the front of the cab to mate to the hood. It's unique.

They used the same cab as the Astro, they did look a little odd.

post-1374-0-93919700-1365252358_thumb.jp

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The General didn't use the Astro cab,and yes the doors are the same. GMC started development of the Astro in 1967,and first produced in 1969.

1977 is correct for the General but probably started deveopmet eariler around the time of the Brockliner.

post-146-0-15688100-1365256612_thumb.jpg

My Astro, 1987, 400 Cummins BCII, 13sp, air ride.

FW