'nother Redneck Engineering success story

RowdyRebel

So I was driving the other day...stopped & fueled up...and when I left, I crossed the river and started climbing the hill into town. The truck started making a noise, similar to a balloon when you stretch the opening and slowly (and noisily) release the air. I pulled off the road and popped the hood to check my turbo hoses, and didn't see any holes or other problems with them...so I figured I'd press on and see if it continued. Sure enough, it was a persistent little noise. It wouldn't start until I was at 5 psi of boost, and would continue up to 20 psi before it would stop. The truck was running fine, though, and still pulled like it should, so I went on up the road a few miles to where I was going to dump off. Once I was empty, I pulled up out of the way and popped the hood again for a better look. I found a broken clamp on a turbo hose going into the charge air cooler....wasn't COMPLETELY broke, but wasn't holding tightly like it should. I guess it took 5 psi before the air would start leaking, and by 20 psi it was leaking out at a fast enough rate it wouldn't make any noise.

I started to grab the duct tape to wrap it up...but then remembered the heavy duty zip ties (125 pound break strength) I had behind the seat. A couple of them cinched good and tight got the job done. No more noise when the turbo winds up. :twothumbsup:

post-1673-0-40878500-1364835112_thumb.jp

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

eh, zip ties are cheaper & more versatile....easier to keep them handy for the roadside rednecking and let the store keep the inventory of parts on hand for when I get tired of looking at the zip ties.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

eh, zip ties are cheaper & more versatile....easier to keep them handy for the roadside rednecking and let the store keep the inventory of parts on hand for when I get tired of looking at the zip ties.

Get different color Zip Ties and you'll never get bored. :notworthy:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

But have you ever balanced a drive shaft with a hose clamp? It works!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

But have you ever balanced a drive shaft with a hose clamp? It works!

For some reason.....I dunno why.....but I'm not surprised that you know this..lol

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

So I was driving the other day...stopped & fueled up...and when I left, I crossed the river and started climbing the hill into town. The truck started making a noise, similar to a balloon when you stretch the opening and slowly (and noisily) release the air. I pulled off the road and popped the hood to check my turbo hoses, and didn't see any holes or other problems with them...so I figured I'd press on and see if it continued. Sure enough, it was a persistent little noise. It wouldn't start until I was at 5 psi of boost, and would continue up to 20 psi before it would stop. The truck was running fine, though, and still pulled like it should, so I went on up the road a few miles to where I was going to dump off. Once I was empty, I pulled up out of the way and popped the hood again for a better look. I found a broken clamp on a turbo hose going into the charge air cooler....wasn't COMPLETELY broke, but wasn't holding tightly like it should. I guess it took 5 psi before the air would start leaking, and by 20 psi it was leaking out at a fast enough rate it wouldn't make any noise.

I started to grab the duct tape to wrap it up...but then remembered the heavy duty zip ties (125 pound break strength) I had behind the seat. A couple of them cinched good and tight got the job done. No more noise when the turbo winds up. :twothumbsup:

attachicon.gif0325131807.jpg

In a truckers line of work you do what you have to so you can make it thru the day....never a dull moment

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Broke the RR leaf spring on a trip a few years ago. Got to race track and noticed truck was leaning a bit. Tire was rubbing on fender, but with the rain I never noticed it/or make any noise.

I jacked that side up, slipped a 4x4 inbetween the fifth wheel mount angle irons and the upper spring block. Couple rubber bungee cords to keep it in place just in case I hit a bad bump. Made it home that night(2 hrs) with no problems. You gotta do whatcha gotta do to get home.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Broke the RR leaf spring on a trip a few years ago. Got to race track and noticed truck was leaning a bit. Tire was rubbing on fender, but with the rain I never noticed it/or make any noise.

I jacked that side up, slipped a 4x4 inbetween the fifth wheel mount angle irons and the upper spring block. Couple rubber bungee cords to keep it in place just in case I hit a bad bump. Made it home that night(2 hrs) with no problems. You gotta do whatcha gotta do to get home.

I did the same thing some years ago when I had a broken spring on a trailer. Had a load of lumber on, and jacked it up in the truckstop parking lot in Harrisburg, Pa. Stuck a 4x4 between the axle and frame rail and drove on to the yard in Appomattox.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

attachicon.gif0325131807.jpg

Lot of pressure on that sucker. I had a turbo hose split on that Peterbilt one time when I was climbing Powell Mountain. Sounded like a cannon. I pulled over and got the duct tape out...wrapped it until it was big as a stove pipe. Jumped in, took off, and everything was fine- for about 47 feet, when it blew out again. Another driver stopped and happened to have a spare one that he gave me. I always carried a spare hose and clamps after that.

Lot of pressure on that sucker. I had a turbo hose split on that Peterbilt one time when I was climbing Powell Mountain. Sounded like a cannon. I pulled over and got the duct tape out...wrapped it until it was big as a stove pipe. Jumped in, took off, and everything was fine- for about 47 feet, when it blew out again. Another driver stopped and happened to have a spare one that he gave me. I always carried a spare hose and clamps after that.

You must use that cheap duct tape....or didn't use enough of it. I've never had a duct-tape repair blow out on me... :blah:

You must use that cheap duct tape....or didn't use enough of it. I've never had a duct-tape repair blow out on me... :blah:

yeah, it was the cheap stuff, I didn't have any Gorilla tape at the time. I generally used it to put over any sharp pieces of steel that might cut my tarp. It wouldn't stand the pressure of that C-15 Cat.

Gorilla tape is so strong i've used it to patch holes in my tarps. Got a roll of 4'' wide duct tape too that I bought in Hubbard.

I don't use Gorilla tape...too expensive. I've had pretty good luck with the Industrial Grade Duck® Brand they sell at Walmart. Holds decent enough without breaking the bank...'bout half of what a similarly sized roll of the Gorilla tape went for if I'm remembering right from the last time I priced it....