Trouble Finding Out Year of B-Model

Good evening. My Dad and I are about to take the plunge and buy our first B. We have been eyeing one by us for a little while and we have finally been able to come to agreement on the price with the seller. Our problem is that we are having a hard time identifying the year. The seller says the title labels it as a 48, which is obviously impossible. He says he thinks it is actually a 53 which we are skeptical about. The vin number he gave us is B42X18000, which from the best we could tell would make it an early 60's? The truck is a single axle dump with a 673 engine, not original, and a 14 speed tri plex which we are told is original. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are going to get the truck Tuesday regardless but we would still like any help with the truck. Also how would we go about changing the title to reflect the correct year? Thank you for any help, I am sure this will be the first of many posts as we enter the wonderful world of Macks.

Since you are buying the truck regardless, contact the Mack Museum with the VIN and they can run the number and send an info pack on the truck. Usually takes several weeks for the info and send a donation to the museum for the research service.

Try to figure out what is up with the title to make your life easier when you go to registry the truck and BEFORE you give the seller any money!!!

Yeah, the truck isn't 1948 and it isn't 1953 either. Your guess of about 1960 is pretty good.

More than likely the engine and trans were swapped as a unit. Transmissions for gas engines are "lighter" duty because the torque is quite a bit different between gas and diesel engines.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

You can call the Mack museum to find out the year while you are waiting on the rest of the information. It is best to know the correct year when you change the title because PennDOT will change the year when they are changing the title for no additional charge. It will cost you if you try to change it later. I have a 1960 B422T that is serial number 19070 so yours is probably a 1959 or 1960. Good luck and have fun with it. Mike

Yea, like everybody else said, contact the Mack Museum and they can tell you everything. Like Yarnall said, it's probably close to a 1959 or 60 because a '53 would have a lot lower number. But regarless of it all, good luck with your project and we can't wait to see some updates and pictures :twothumbsup:

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Thank you everyone for all your help! I will be calling the museum in the morning. I will post some pictures as soon as we get it home. We hope to have it at the Macungie show. We go every year but this will hopefully be our first as participants. Also does anyone have any info on the trans? I have not been able to find out a lot about the 14 speed tri plex. Thanks again.

I will take a picture of the shift pattern as soon as I get it home. The main is on the left and the aux. is the right stick it has a low/low up to the left, a low up to the right and a direct below the low. I remember reading somewhere that some gas B42 dumps had a 14 tri plex and this truck was a gas job originally. I am hoping that if it is the original trans it will hold up to the torque of the 673 although the owner says they did the engine swap many years ago.

I will take a picture of the shift pattern as soon as I get it home. The main is on the left and the aux. is the right stick it has a low/low up to the left, a low up to the right and a direct below the low. I remember reading somewhere that some gas B42 dumps had a 14 tri plex and this truck was a gas job originally. I am hoping that if it is the original trans it will hold up to the torque of the 673 although the owner says they did the engine swap many years ago.

Main on the left aux on the right? Sure its not a seperate aux, like a brown-lipe(brownie) or spicer?

wow, never seen that shift pattern before. have seen a 10 speed that had a 3 way splitter before and my B613 had a small 77 series 5 speed with a 3 speed brownie and the aux was on the left but most smaller B42's had the aux on the right. most diesels and bigger gas jobs had the aux on the left. there is no way a 673 would bolt up to a 77 series transmission and take the torque i dont think. the B43's has the pump on the 673 turned down to make 150hp instead of 170 and used the smaller 67 series tranny with an adapter plate. we need numbers off the side of your transmission case. our one B42 has a 14 speed quad but its a 77 series and aux is on the right. that shift pattern looks like a 10 speed ''Mud stick'' pattern as the old timers called it. low low is not meant to be split and usually cant. like an old 4 speed Ford pickup, you cant downshift into 1st, its only meant to go one way.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Yup, time to slide under and see what the trans. in the truck has to say.

It will be on the driver's side and will have TRD, TRT, or TRQ followed by numbers.

TRD = Duplex

TRT = Triplex

TRQ = Quadraplex

Jim

Wonder why they call it a 14 speed. Counting the shifts and splits I got 10. Interesting though.

Sometimes the ratio is a duplicate of another ratio and it doesn't get counted or the the next shift "up" is actually a lower ratio and then you don't use it.

Jim

I did not get a chance to crawl under it today. I will do it tomorrow and post what I find. The trans does shift like the pattern label. I talked to the previous owner today and he said the engine and trans came out of a B47 and he pulled the pattern label from that truck and put it in this one. Also the museum called today, the truck is a 1959.

yup, was gonna say that truck is a 59-61 cause it has the newer style fuel tank brackets,the covers still on the door hinges, newer style front hubcabs, not the domed ones and the air horns are off to the side and it has the lower bolts in the radiator shell. also looks like it has a Cresci dump box on it with the checkerboard bottom panel. i would guess that is a 67 series trandmission with an adapter plate? i think i saw a B47 once and it actually had a scania or a 475 Mack motor and a baby 77 series quad. kick myself for not buyin it at auction, had a rebuilt engine and really nice 55 gallon round aluminum fuel tanks. the engine looked like a 673 and had the injection pump on pass side so i dont think it was a scania

i have seen a TRTX670 10 speed in a B61 a few years ago in Syracuse Ny. had to take a double take on the shift pattern, truck was a total rot wagon and the guy wanted a miesily 5500 for it. definately an oddball, kinda like a 14 speed quadbox i have seen in a B81. just when u thought you could figure out these B models, something else comes along