Should I buy it?

mack1928

I can buy a 1984 Mack RD 688sx in great shape with about 140,000 miles and about 5200 hrs has a 14 ft bristol donald body. the truck has a newer mid 90s 300hp engine with the 5spd high low two stick tires are fair 1200 R24 I was thinking of making it into a tractor to pull a low boy around what do you guys think?? Or do I buy a 2004 cv713 with 350k miles real clean also with a 400 8LL which is a tractor already idk? price difference when all said and done about $10,000 difference to buy the newer truck.

post-12359-0-23004900-1363917566_thumb.j

Yea the r models are so reliable I've had many same exact spec I just wanted to see if any real differences pulling a low boy verses lugging 25 ton or a tag I'm sure it's enouph power for the job my only issue is going back in time I've been buying new stuff and have had very good luck this far but if u don't have a huge budget for something this is prob my best bet to go with the r model

• Like 1

Extensions on the gear sticks? by that i hope you don't mean shifters that you hit your hand on the ceiling. Straight pipes sound good though

You gotta make them a little taller they are always too short. Billiard balls or plastic repros make the best shift knobs. :)

Ok i asked just because some of the guys around here with the KWs and Petes have shifters in them that hit the ceiling almost :thumbsdown:

No not to the ceiling but I like them a little taller. The tri axle I drove for Gulino when he put the 18 speed in her we couldn't get the right gear lever. It was back ordered forever so we put a stick from a Granite in her. It was taller and had that funky bend on it but it worked out pretty good. Had nice short throws on it.

Rob