Some milling for Tim

RFCDrum

All right, since we have some professional construction types here I have a question regarding road "repairs". What is the logic or reason for milling the road about every 10 yards to place a strip of new asphalt from shoulder to shoulder? Each strip is about a foot long. God help you if have a bad back on this portion of 81 outside of Whittney Point, NY.

Are you with us?? I thought maybe you were shacking up with the moose in the woods. :)

Yes my friend I've been 2.5 hours from home all week and headed back at 2:30 AM and I hope not to see any moose or deer on the way!

All right, since we have some professional construction types here I have a question regarding road "repairs". What is the logic or reason for milling the road about every 10 yards to place a strip of new asphalt from shoulder to shoulder? Each strip is about a foot long. God help you if have a bad back on this portion of 81 outside of Whittney Point, NY.

It sound's like they are trying to take the high spots out of the road....but you would only do this in the travel lane and one foot does not allow time for the milling machine to react. Unless they were using a skid steer trimmer to run side ways to the road.

Good question. Need Tim's opinion for that one.

Rob

Rob, My answer to this would be Band aid!!! Seen here we trimmed 4 feet wide for the over lay to butt against the shoulderpost-426-0-73743900-1372035929_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A&J-started as two Portegese guys doing driveways around Danbury.

Heard they were able to reap some benefits of the governments work ready politics.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

• 2 months later...

As you guys get excited about milling machines, about a month ago I'm southbound on Mass I-495 around exit 13 or so. Traffic starts slowing. detached low boy is on shoulder like they are going to load something. Then just other side of bridge abutment is Agreggate Industries machine on its side-underside facing the road- OOpps! My guess is they were positioning to load and shoulder had quite a slope to it-as well as soft ground. Don't think anyone got hurt other than ego as only news coverage was the traffic slowdown.

Hey Tim! Thought your GPS was broken and you got lost.

Yes...I haven't had time for anything but work, up at 3:30 to 4:00 AM home at 8:00 or so PM. Enough time to sent in my reports then bed!

As you guys get excited about milling machines, about a month ago I'm southbound on Mass I-495 around exit 13 or so. Traffic starts slowing. detached low boy is on shoulder like they are going to load something. Then just other side of bridge abutment is Agreggate Industries machine on its side-underside facing the road- OOpps! My guess is they were positioning to load and shoulder had quite a slope to it-as well as soft ground. Don't think anyone got hurt other than ego as only news coverage was the traffic slowdown.

To bad! Top heavy machine and then add a tank of water and full fuel tank to boot, would make things happen quickly. As for milling every ten yards, I have no ideas on this....would make more sense to just mill the whole thing out? Here is a pull off that we paved in then it was decided to mill it up the next day in Alburg.post-426-0-36428100-1380995526_thumb.jpg

I hate when they have us line the truck next another so they could keep the milling machine going. Milling all over the side of the truck

A good operator shuts off his belt when switching trucks and spills none, maybe pass that along to them.post-426-0-12536100-1382234405_thumb.jpgNumber one ground man and operator here! 2 million SY through the Wirtgen this year!post-426-0-30086500-1382234545_thumb.jpg