Some milling for Tim

RFCDrum

Here you go Tim I was thinking of you when I spotted Montesano (another company all over like horse shit) doing all of the site work at the Nanuet Mall reconstruction.

Cheers, Rob

Ah! now I see it! Rob, is that from this spring? Starting early! That's awesome. Looks Like a 2000 series one size smaller than mine. Couldn't be a state job with snow on the ground still. Thanks for posting these pics!

Hope they have better luck than one of the milling companies here in NJ yesterday was the first day on the job with a brand new milling machine they were loading the first truck and they struck a gas main the machine was covered in flames they could not shut gas off nor move machine it burned to a crisp. Lucky no one was hurt.

Hope they have better luck than one of the milling companies here in NJ yesterday was the first day on the job with a brand new milling machine they were loading the first truck and they struck a gas main the machine was covered in flames they could not shut gas off nor move machine it burned to a crisp. Lucky no one was hurt.

Holy crap! That main couldn't have been that deep in the ground unless they hit a feed line. Call before you dig would have come in handy and I always get out in front with my metal detector. Glad no one got hurt in that ordeal.

How many times Reel does that happen on these jobs. All the time. How about when they cut the main fiber optic for verizon on RT 21 in Newark a few years ago with the concrete saw. Who was that again? I heard it was like 10 or 15 grand per hour fine.Tim no state job just union. They have some beastly Granite tri axles with 58 rears and 12r24 rubber and Bristol Donalds. I was looking they usually have one there for site.Who was it yesterday?

Ah! now I see it! Rob, is that from this spring? Starting early! That's awesome. Looks Like a 2000 series one size smaller than mine. Couldn't be a state job with snow on the ground still. Thanks for posting these pics!

This was yesterday.

they usually dont mill off that much, what was it about 4 inches below the surface?????

The deepest we go is 12" normally and that doesn't happen very often. What has happened in the past was a gas station leaking fuel and it was under the pavement then....FOOM!

How many times Reel does that happen on these jobs. All the time. How about when they cut the main fiber optic for verizon on RT 21 in Newark a few years ago with the concrete saw. Who was that again? I heard it was like 10 or 15 grand per hour fine.Tim no state job just union. They have some beastly Granite tri axles with 58 rears and 12r24 rubber and Bristol Donalds. I was looking they usually have one there for site.Who was it yesterday?

We usually will recheck the road for structures even if we have someone else check it first. Been there done that....

some one will get a nice new machine then, ufpo must not have been doing there job too well. national fuel, our area ng provider has a hole new crew of young people doing mark outs. if the days work isnt finished for markouts, they just go home and go to the next day. not finishing the missed work from before.

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

I was on a job for Van Peenan in Wayne, NJ a few years ago and they ripped a 4 inch gas main and it was miss marked by 11 or 12 feet. Not even close. The last markout I got in the fall they tell you 4 feet on either side. That's great if your in an open area but it's always when your working close quarters around a house.

Rob

is Nj anything like New York State? ride on the roughest roads possible and they grind and recoat the ones that dont need it while the other dont get done? or how about its roagh as a bastard forever, full of patches and potholes and then they finally grind it up and the followin year they are cuttin holes in it fixin gas lines and water lines and manhole cover, ugh! or heres a classic, Rifenburg did a bunch of jobs locally this past summer, one of them being Rt 5. well it was one of them that was rough as hell forever. then repave it and roll it down with a nice vibratory roller right thru town that had 100 year old water lines runnin thru it. they have been cuttin the new pavement and fixin water leaks ever since.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

yup must happen all over. thought it was just around here. rough ass roads forever, they finally repave them then we get a shitty patch job with either a hump or a low spot. sometimes if its near the weekend and they dont feel like puttin down blacktop we get to drive over crusher run in the hole for 2-3 weeks before they decide to coat it with top.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

How many average hours before a trip to the dentist?

One the interstate at 2" we can mill up to 28,000 SY on one set per day. It depends on the stone mix. Granite will eat teeth fasterpost-426-0-63188900-1363916016_thumb.jpgand if your in a 4" cut with sharp 6 inch ballast under the mix you will be replacing the lower conveyor belt in less than 300 hourspost-426-0-17285100-1363916225_thumb.jpgpost-426-0-03259600-1363916312_thumb.jpg

yup must happen all over. thought it was just around here. rough ass roads forever, they finally repave them then we get a shitty patch job with either a hump or a low spot. sometimes if its near the weekend and they dont feel like puttin down blacktop we get to drive over crusher run in the hole for 2-3 weeks before they decide to coat it with top.

Ha crusher run. The best material I used to get came out of Sullivan Industries in Cochecton NY. Must be an upstate thing. Down in Rockland they call it item 4 and in Jersey QP or quarry process. The best like I said came from upstate.

One the interstate at 2" we can mill up to 28,000 SY on one set per day. It depends on the stone mix. Granite will eat teeth fasterattachicon.gif100_1412.JPGand if your in a 4" cut with sharp 6 inch ballast under the mix you will be replacing the lower conveyor belt in less than 300 hoursattachicon.gif100_1484.JPGattachicon.gif100_1488.JPG

So much maintenance on these machines.

OK, follow up question. About how many teeth on the machine and how long to change them? Cost?

Can they work on a concrete?

Thanks, Jim

There are various drum patterns and my past Cat mill had 260 teeth and the new Wirtgen has 186 teeth. Interstate work change everyday about 18,000 to 28,000 square yards depending on abrasiveness of road. Teeth cost can range from $4.00 and up per tooth and "good" used teeth are saved and giving to the reclaim crew who are not very happy to receive them but is a great cost savings. Yes concrete can be milled but very slow going and frequent changes on the teeth. The mill dislikes all types of steel and is a horrid sound when this happens.post-426-0-87365600-1363958350_thumb.jpg