When Mack Roamed Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Western Asia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Factory-built.

Photo 2.jpg

Obviously from your picture and knowledge there are factory built condo or tall sleepers. Were there different variations? I ask because the one with the red bumper has a V shape to the front of it but the one you shared is flat. I would be surprised to find out that they made variations like that to a sleeper from the factory but hey there’s a good chance I’m wrong. Thanks again for sharing all of your excellent knowledge with us Ks. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

1 hour ago, HeavyGunner said:

Obviously from your picture and knowledge there are factory built condo or tall sleepers. Were there different variations? I ask because the one with the red bumper has a V shape to the front of it but the one you shared is flat. I would be surprised to find out that they made variations like that to a sleeper from the factory but hey there’s a good chance I’m wrong. Thanks again for sharing all of your excellent knowledge with us Ks. 

The red truck appears to have a locally installed high roof, I assume installed in the UK. The blue one is a factory unit. I saw many FM's in Allentown on their way to Europe. American market F-model parts books showed the high sleeper in some of the common illustrations.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was surprised at the number of 56 Chevrolet cars, (taxi cabs) and Mack R models in Istanbul, and Izmir, Turkey back when I was there in 85, 86, and 87.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

I was surprised at the number of 56 Chevrolet cars, (taxi cabs) and Mack R models in Istanbul, and Izmir, Turkey back when I was there in 85, 86, and 87.

I surprizingly saw none of both of those when I was in Istambul in 2011. Moreover, all in all I cruised no less than 2500 km over the Turkey roads both mains and locals and saw only one Mack truck I even couldn't figure out which model it was. The truck went in the opposit direction on a 6 lane highway behind the concrete divider. It looked like a DM or maybe a R-model but difficult to determine when we passed each other on a speed of 200+ km/h in total.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Most of the 56 Chevy cars looked almost new. Most were red with a white top and red interior but many were yellow with a white top. I only rode i a couple of red ones myself. The dashboard layout was different from those marketed in the USA when new. I also don't know what engines were installed but probably wasn't a 235ci GM engine. There was always a line of them off to the sides of the American Consulate building, and down by the dock area which wasn't far from the Consulate building. That area had a lot of tourists too as the "Attaturk" memorial was right down there. In Izmir, I didn't get off the base but taxi cabs were the way to get around and most of them were also 56 Chevrolet cars. I took extensive photos with my 35mm camera and still have them someplace. I'll see if I can dig them out sometime. There are too some Mack truck photos but they looked similar to an R model but I cannot attest they actually were.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...

that picture with big camels is amazing.

The single axle F-model with a trailer and black plates was Netherlands registerd.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Looks like Brussels to with that doohikie in the back ground, built fgor the world fair and called the Atomium,  I think thats what it is

20200506-080002.jpg

I reckon this a Dutch based truck, there was a mob that ran a whole heap of these painted this way , Vlad will know a lot more than me

FB-IMG-1588458704295.jpg

FB-IMG-1588458735714.jpg

FB-IMG-1588458788683.jpg

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...