When Mack Roamed Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Western Asia

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 6:27 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

Check out the set back front axle 0n this F model, oh and the horns on the roof are pretty cool as well20200518-082341.jpg

The Mack featured in the BBC television series called "Truckers", made in the late 80s. Episode 2 about Grimsby, if you want to watch it on Youtube. The Sandtrans is pulling for the legendary Astran company, which was formally Asian Transport and pioneers of overland hauling to the Middle-East.

• Like 1

The Trucknet UK Forum has a topic on Mack trucks with plenty of detail of the Macks on British roads. There is a road test done with a Mack for the British transport magazine "Truck." April 1978. A very favorable result and I thought it would only be a matter of time before we were all running around in Macks. Alas, that was not the case.     http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=127603

Edited by chris1953
I made a mistake.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The white F-models looks like Turkish company, yellow F-model with blue top and bottom is Dutch company. Dark green R-model is definitely a Iran-Kaveh product and by the look of the plates it was doing its service in the same area as it was assembled.

Wow! That dark green San Jose R-model is not an R but U with integral sleeper!

Great stuff you fished up Paul.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2020 at 10:09 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

There must of been a fare few Macks running around in that part of the world once

I wonder how many survived ?

Great stuff Vlad

Paul 

Seems like a few hundred trucks all over Europe which are branded Mack. Not many still in use but plenty of collection items. I might be wrong since I haven't roamed all European countries but about a half of.

• 3 weeks later...

I was part of a small team that went to Saudi Arabia mid 1975 to set up a transportation company from scratch. We initially had 73 Mack trucks imported (this was an order from a cement truck company that went broke in USA - we picked them all up and shipped them out bobtail) and aprox 120 Hauser trailers. We built everything ourselves - barge port transport hubs and camps, central maintenance facility, base camps, accommodation, family housing. 

It was hugely successful and within a year the fleet was massively expanded - well more than double, including heavy haul, heavy lift recovery - all Mack (we had a few Mercs 6x6 purchased locally for rig support).

I often wonder what happened to all the equipment - I was moved on to other things after about 4 years. After I left (it was a joint venture with a great local guy) the Saudi partner purchased the american half of the company, and went on to build a huge diversified company that is still being successfully run by his decendants.

Wish I could include photos but don't seem to be able to.

• Like 2

A fascinating story, this photo thingymabob on the forum doesnt seem to work any good any more

I use a host site (I think thats what it's called) and then just post a direct link 

The site I use is called Postimage and it works fine and so far is free

When you go to load up the photos under the lower right of the page at "other media" I just open the then other "insert from existing ULR" and baddah bing baddah boom it all happens

Or you can email them to me and I'll load them up for you 

Paul 

Mrs

gudday m8

RE: I use a free host site

B warned ..... I have been on a few free sites ovr the years

they all start out free then hit U with a fee to continue or else all is araised

Have tried Image shak 100s of pix gorn

Photo Bucket  more pix gone 

there aint no thing az a free site but a waste of time

best O luk O

cya

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Paul, too much of credit to me.

I (virtually) wiped my eyeglasses and looked at those letters on the screen. Norway, Sweden, Danemark... My bet it's in Danish. But it's more bet than a fact.

There's a Dutch guy who knows everything about every Mack in Europe. But he's a seldom visitor on here. I'll try tossing a question.

• Like 1