started school!

beatngu

Good Luck!

Shifting will come to you. Eventually you'll be able to judge shifts by sound without having to glance at the tach for each change. Hopefully your school is also teaching trip planning. Learn to use maps and a cell phone. Drivers today are finding themselves in bad situations more and more these days because they are relying solely on a GPS that does not take the size and weight of the truck into consideration. Also, they don't have the math skills to know that a 13'6" truck will not fit under a 11'2" overpass, I kid you not it happens on a daily basis. Buy a Motor Carrier atlas. It will list height and weight restrictions and even show weigh stations. Always know your route before the start of your trip.

Hey just outta curiosity, are there any GPS devices with software especially for Motor Carriers that has low bridges, weight-restricted bridges and other hazards like that???

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

well I started trucking school Monday, the first day went pretty well. We are learning in a 90's international with a cummins and 10 speed eaton fuller. Upshifting wasn't too bad, but downshifting will take some getting use to for sure!

Good luck kid. It's all in matching the input shaft and output shaft speeds. You'll do fine. By the way I was not allowed to drive an automatic transmission until I got the basics of a manual.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

post-4436-0-26475100-1362613480_thumb.jppost-4436-0-26475100-1362613480_thumb.jp

Good Luck!

Shifting will come to you. Eventually you'll be able to judge shifts by sound without having to glance at the tach for each change.

Hopefully your school is also teaching trip planning. Learn to use maps and a cell phone. Drivers today are finding themselves in bad situations more and more these days because they are relying solely on a GPS that does not take the size and weight of the truck into consideration. Also, they don't have the math skills to know that a 13'6" truck will not fit under a 11'2" overpass, I kid you not it happens on a daily basis. Buy a Motor Carrier atlas. It will list height and weight restrictions and even show weigh stations. Always know your route before the start of your trip.

post-4436-0-26475100-1362613480_thumb.jp

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Well, I was doing much better on the second day, but 5th was starting to fail, wouldn't go in most of the time so we had to do 4th to 6th. the other student started driving and we lost most of the tranny before we got back to the shop. So after we lost 5th soon to follow was third, 10th, 9th, 4th and 8th, so all we had was 1st, 2nd, 6th and 7th. we creeped back to teh shop at a blistering 20MPH in 7th! They pulled the tranny out today, next class date TBA. The instructor said it wasn't anything we did, but you can imagine that truck has seen some abuse with all the student drivers. Back in january my one thing I requested for my birthday was a roadcarrier's atlas, it sits on my Blazer's dashboard now waiting to plan trips. I know how "reliable" those GPS' can be!

Hey just outta curiosity, are there any GPS devices with software especially for Motor Carriers that has low bridges, weight-restricted bridges and other hazards like that???

There are a couple out. For the most part they keep you out of trouble. Mine likes to say vertical height clearance when they bridge is over 16'. or new bridge over rr tracks and not going on them.

ah god love ya,,,have a ball...ive been out there 40 years and lookin forward to retirement.but i do remember,,training on a U model mack,,,and couldnt wait to get out therelol.bob

Bob, did the U have no power steering? I bounced between an R with pwer steering and a U with out when running NYC. Pretty interesting back in the day.

Yes, they've actually been available since the early days of GPS, but I have no first hand experience using one.

Jim

Well, I was doing much better on the second day, but 5th was starting to fail, wouldn't go in most of the time so we had to do 4th to 6th. the other student started driving and we lost most of the tranny before we got back to the shop. So after we lost 5th soon to follow was third, 10th, 9th, 4th and 8th, so all we had was 1st, 2nd, 6th and 7th. we creeped back to teh shop at a blistering 20MPH in 7th! They pulled the tranny out today, next class date TBA. The instructor said it wasn't anything we did, but you can imagine that truck has seen some abuse with all the student drivers. Back in january my one thing I requested for my birthday was a roadcarrier's atlas, it sits on my Blazer's dashboard now waiting to plan trips. I know how "reliable" those GPS' can be!

Just chalk that up as a situation you may experience in the "real world", it's just part of your training. :)

You can skip gears in low range when light and on flat ground of going downhill. The quicker you get to top gear the more fuel you save, provided you are not lugging the engine.

Jim