Early V-8 were END 864, started in '63 or '64 - think '64 - horsepower 250 I think, have to look up to be sure. Problem was they were all smoke and noise!!!!!!

Over and out from Ignorant Ridge

Hi Tom glad to hear from you. about 2-3 years ago i was at the Portland, Indiana tractor show and saw your B 61 wrecker and was looking for you, never did find you. do you still have your V8 powered B model???. havent seen you at Macungie for a while. hope you are doing alright, take care. Ron

Early V-8 were END 864, started in '63 or '64 - think '64 - horsepower 250 I think, have to look up to be sure. Problem was they were all smoke and noise!!!!!!

Over and out from Ignorant Ridge

holy mackle, where you been so long?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

There was a 285 hp version on the ENDT865 anda 350 hp version of the ENDT866 also,the predecessor to the E9 was the ENDT1005

I found an ENDT1005 in a junk yard back when I was just getting into trucking and I thought "man what a boat anchor", now Id give lots of body parts to have it, I dont know how many were made but I have heard less than 250.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Here's a partial list:

END-864 255-270 H.P.

ENDD-864 237 H.P.

ENDT-864 320 H.P.

ENDT-865 325 H.P. Maxidyne

ENDT-866 375 H.P.

EM9-400 400 H.P. Maxidyne

E9-400 400 H.P.

E9-440 440 H.P.

E9-500 500 H.P.

Plus the END864A rated at 280hp. My understanding is the V-8s from the 864 were developed with Scania.

Note the performance is certified by none other that Mr. Win Pelizzoni, co-inventor (along with Mr. Walter May) of the high-torque rise Maxidyne engine technology.

post-5381-0-81377000-1362703845_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-76966200-1362703885_thumb.jp

My truck had the 864 and I believe it was rated 255 HP. Its long gone. I understand that the injector pumps were a funky design and prone to failure and are now scarce like hens teath.

The first 864's used PSJ or PSM Ambac pumps which were single plunger pumps with a distributing head on it like a distributor.

Later ones used APE style pumps APE8VBB, this when I think the normal H.P. rating went from 255 H.P. to 270 H.P.

These were multiple plunger pumps and looked like a little baby V-8 engine sitting on top of a big V-8 engine!

These motors also used a later style intake manifold.

I don't think, or would know how, these pumps would have ever been used on the turbocharged 864's.

There just wasn't enough room, I think they were all built with the single plunger pumps.

On another V-8 note the first N/A 864's had an aluminum tube that joined the two intake manifolds together, the ports for this tube were located on top

of the intake manifolds in front of where the fresh air ports were.

These were balancing tubes to provide for "smokeless operation"

There were also two different sets of these tubes low ones and high ones!

When they made the ENDT-864 they used the same early manifolds and used plates to block off the ports.

Ron

• Like 1

Ha 27 1005's built and I called it a boat anchor and walked away. Head/wall, repeat!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

the 865's were rated at 2400 rpm

Mike

Thanks for posting I didn't know they ran that fast. We never had any, we were through being guinea pigs by the time they came out.

We had five F-715's with N/A 864's, five 400 series Brockways with V8-265 Cummins, six 400 series Brockways with 8V71 Detroits, and one F-719 with the turbocharged 864.

After that we came to the conclusion that the best V-8's were the ones that came in cans and contained vegetable juice!

Ron