All eyes are on the new Maxidyne

kscarbel

Next time you see Jim, tell him Ken (from Lubrizol) says hello! And we miss him at TMC! Jim and Tom are both good guys!

Ken next time you are in town, for Macungie or whatever, get with me ahead of time and maybe I can arrange lunch or dinner. Due to medical issues Jim does not venture very far from his home, but he loves to entertain guests.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Has anyone looked at the new Super Econodyne package? Most people dont even know it exists, Mack sets up a pinnacle axle back with all the smart way aerodynamics and Michelin X-one tires, then puts in an MP8 445 Super Econodyne engine and M drive 12 spd transmission with a .78 OD, some 2.66 rears, yes 2.66 rears. the Super Econodyne package has its own engine programming to get the power band down low, it makes 445hp from 1500-1800rpm and 1750 tq from 1080-1380. It looks like the new setup will be pretty good for OTR fuel mileage getters, Oh and the new econodyne engines now have Econoboost torque curves. The MP8 505 Econodyne with Econoboost makes 1500 ft lbs under 1000rpm and stays over 1500 all the way to 1700rpm peaking at 1750 ft lbs, holding over 1500 ft lbs. for over 700 rpm, thats a pretty good toque curve for a 13 liter with emissions on it.

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Has anyone looked at the new Super Econodyne package? Most people dont even know it exists, Mack sets up a pinnacle axle back with all the smart way aerodynamics and Michelin X-one tires, then puts in an MP8 445 Super Econodyne engine and M drive 12 spd transmission with a .78 OD, some 2.66 rears, yes 2.66 rears. the Super Econodyne package has its own engine programming to get the power band down low, it makes 445hp from 1500-1800rpm and 1750 tq from 1080-1380. It looks like the new setup will be pretty good for OTR fuel mileage getters, Oh and the new econodyne engines now have Econoboost torque curves. The MP8 505 Econodyne with Econoboost makes 1500 ft lbs under 1000rpm and stays over 1500 all the way to 1700rpm peaking at 1750 ft lbs, holding over 1500 ft lbs. for over 700 rpm, thats a pretty good toque curve for a 13 liter with emissions on it.

"Econodyne" was a Mack Trucks trademark. Please don't insult the former Mack Truck company as Volvo does by associating Mack Trucks and its legendary proprietary engineering inculding the high-efficiency Econodyne engine range with the Volvo D13 (rebadged as MP8) and and Volvo I-Shift (rebadged as mDrive).

Mack Trucks pioneered the dieselization of heavy trucks in America. With the introduction of Mack first diesel in 1938, the fuel-efficient Thermodyne engine in the fifties, the high-torque rise and still more fuel efficient Maxidyne engine in 1967 and the Maxidyne V-8 in 1969, Mack revolutionized the heavy-duty diesel engine concept in the trucking industry.

Building on that extensive background, Mack Trucks then introduced the Econodyne series engines, which included both Maxidyne and conventional torque rise versions. The heart of the Mack Econodyne was advanced turbocharging and Mack's new chassis-mounted charge-air cooling system offering increased horsepower, improved fuel economy and engine durability. The Econodyne engines were the most efficient engines Mack Trucks had yet produced. The service-proven Econodyne engines emphasized Mack Trucks' decades of leadership in fuel-efficient diesel engines.

Jim

That was used as part of the advertising for the ENDT-676 283 H.P. 300 series Maxidyne engines.

They also had gold painted demonstrator tractors with special stripes and believe it or not some of them had white wall tires!

Ron

Any pics?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

A few old maxidynes one is the "super cool 300".....

I'll take pic # 2 just wrap it up I'll come get it.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

"Econodyne" was a Mack Trucks trademark. Please don't insult the former Mack Truck company as Volvo does by associating Mack Trucks and its legendary proprietary engineering inculding the high-efficiency Econodyne engine range with the Volvo D13 (rebadged as MP8) and and Volvo I-Shift (rebadged as mDrive).

Mack Trucks pioneered the dieselization of heavy trucks in America. With the introduction of Mack first diesel in 1938, the fuel-efficient Thermodyne engine in the fifties, the high-torque rise and still more fuel efficient Maxidyne engine in 1967 and the Maxidyne V-8 in 1969, Mack revolutionized the heavy-duty diesel engine concept in the trucking industry.

Building on that extensive background, Mack Trucks then introduced the Econodyne series engines, which included both Maxidyne and conventional torque rise versions. The heart of the Mack Econodyne was advanced turbocharging and Mack's new chassis-mounted charge-air cooling system offering increased horsepower, improved fuel economy and engine durability. The Econodyne engines were the most efficient engines Mack Trucks had yet produced. The service-proven Econodyne engines emphasized Mack Trucks' decades of leadership in fuel-efficient diesel engines.

Do you really just live to insult or degrade people on here? I didnt even make a comparison I simply posted info on a new Mack Product if you hate the new Mack go away cause unfortunately Volvo parts are here to stay, dont give me your crap I am getting tired of you basically bitch slapping people on here for their opinions, guess what they are personal opinions let it go, do not quote me again on anything period or respond to my posts.

• Like 1

I've seen R Models that had the duel element air cleaner and the hood scoop. I know originally the scoop went to the tip turbine but what was the deal with these that had both?

Rob

The 300 series had either the scoop (early models '73-'75) then the 2 stage (later models).You may have seen trucks with both,Rob,but they could possibly already been converted to the 2 stage(leaving the scoop useless). The Canadian trucks used the scoop longer in production,and had a foul weather intake set up like the old oil baths,so it used the upper intake tube to return just under the hood . Hope this makes sense to you. Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Al

Great looking' trucks, thanks for posting, love white stripe tires!

Ron

Al

The set of pictures from Allentown, last picture on the right, the guy on the right was Philadelphia Factory Branch Manager Ed Parker.

Ron

No problem,Ron! Yeah,they were gussied up pretty well,couldn't miss 'em! I remember my Dad (on one of our many trips to Upper Michigan),stopped at LaCombe Mack Sales of Green Bay,Wis.for me (I was Vinny's age at the time) and they had "300 Series" coasters and napkins by the coffee pot,as they must have had a visit by the gold trucks! Dad said,"ask if they'll let you have a couple for your MACK collection?".Mr LaCombe said "take as many as you need".Took a couple of each. Nice people they were. Ah-ha,I take it you Smiths must have known Mr. Parker pretty well. Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

The 300 series had either the scoop (early models '73-'75) then the 2 stage (later models).You may have seen trucks with both,Rob,but they could possibly already been converted to the 2 stage(leaving the scoop useless). The Canadian trucks used the scoop longer in production,and had a foul weather intake set up like the old oil baths,so it used the upper intake tube to return just under the hood . Hope this makes sense to you. Al

The 1985 DM686S that I had was equipped with the hood scoop for the tip turbine, and when I worked at AC&S excavating, they had a 1980 DM686SX with the hood scoop, and also a 1979 DM686SX with the double element air cleaner and no scoop.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

The 1985 DM686S that I had was equipped with the hood scoop for the tip turbine, and when I worked at AC&S excavating, they had a 1980 DM686SX with the hood scoop, and also a 1979 DM686SX with the double element air cleaner and no scoop.

I was referring to the R models in my post, I should have noted that. :blush: DM's are another story. Thats strange how the '79 had the 2 stage and the later ones had the hood scoops. Could the later ones been Canadian built?

I was referring to the R models in my post, I should have noted that. :blush: DM's are another story. Thats strange how the '79 had the 2 stage and the later ones had the hood scoops. Could the later ones been Canadian built?

Don't know, but the 79 & 80 came from Hartford Mack within 6 months of each other.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

@84superdog. dont feel bad, he does that with everything. there are no other opinions allowed but his own and repeats himself all the time. But i will give credit where it is due to his collection of really neat historicla brochures

I agree he is a welath of knowledge and I am sure I could learn a lot from him as I have others, but that type of Im right your wrong in your face attitude ticks me off in a hurry. This is supposed to be a group discussion site to share many opinions, its not just "your" opinion, thats why I dont belong to a truck club too may too far set in their ways and unwilling to hear other opinions or even allow open disussion.