Hey Everyone

Shawn M

My name is Shawn and I am new to this forum and to Macks. I just recently bought a new project, a 1954 B-61 with the Thermodyne engine in it. Just started tinkering with it a little and have a quick question, first of many I am sure. The truck smokes when its cold which is understandable, I am from Connecticut so it has been chilly lately, and after it warms up when I drive it the smoke goes away. But if I sit there and let it idle for a minute or two after its warmed up it starts to smoke again, smells like unburned fuel, so its as if the injector pump is giving it too much fuel just when left to sit to idle for a few minutes. I do not really know what is causing this, possibly a plunger sticking in the pump. I am not too sure. Also, I took it for the first actual drive down the road yesterday and did not seem to smoke at all really even when pulling a fairly steep hill. I don't know if this could help explain the problem more. I don't know much about these trucks yet and just trying to learn all that I can. Thanks for your help. And I know you guys like pictures, I'll be adding them soon. Thanks, Shawn. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Shawn and I am new to this forum and to Macks. I just recently bought a new project, a 1954 B-61 with the Thermodyne engine in it. Just started tinkering with it a little and have a quick question, first of many I am sure. The truck smokes when its cold which is understandable, I am from Connecticut so it has been chilly lately, and after it warms up when I drive it the smoke goes away. But if I sit there and let it idle for a minute or two after its warmed up it starts to smoke again, smells like unburned fuel, so its as if the injector pump is giving it too much fuel just when left to sit to idle for a few minutes. I do not really know what is causing this, possibly a plunger sticking in the pump. I am not too sure. Also, I took it for the first actual drive down the road yesterday and did not seem to smoke at all really even when pulling a fairly steep hill. I don't know if this could help explain the problem more. I don't know much about these trucks yet and just trying to learn all that I can. Thanks for your help. And I know you guys like pictures, I'll be adding them soon. Thanks, Shawn. :)

Hi Shawn I'm still new to all with too. My truck dose the same thing, it smokes at idle and as soon as I move it there's no more smoke. My truck sat for 10 or 15 years and 5 plungers were stuck in the pump, I had to get them freed up for my truck to start. May be that's why my truck still smokes a little I'm not sure I can't take it on the road to see if it clears up all together, oh and welcome to the form.

Rudy

• 3 weeks later...

@shawn. It could be old fuel, stuck plungers, or injectors that need cleaned up. I've found that somestimes taking the injectors out and just a simple clean with carb and choke cleaner with make a difference. You could always pull the pump and take it along with the injectors and have them gone over on a bench at an injection service shop. I just sent out a Roosta-Master pump and four injectors for a Waueska diesel it cost $600 for the pump to be rebuilt,injectors flow tested and serviced. The little Waukesha never ran as good as it does now.

welcome,

since it is running try some fuel system cleaner first, after taking my tanks off and cleaning them out I put about 20 gallons of fuel in and enough fuel additive cleaner to mix 50 gallons and let it run at fast idle and it started cleaning up I figure I would keep adding the strong blend until I run a few hundred gallons through. I use powerservice brand because thats what I grew up with and have used for years, I have tried lucas and seafoam when on sale, years ago also used ATF years ago becuase that was supposed to help to

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."