Gvwr and combo questions for legal hauling

JTFormula

Sorry for not being a Mack truck question but it still pertains to trucking in general. I picked up a 99 f350 Dually with the 7.3l. The truck has a GVWR of 11,200 with a maximum towing cap of 13,300. My shop has a 36' Appalachian two car trailer with a 12,500 GVWR. Am I correct that with the GCWR combo of 23,500lbs I am under 26,000 so a CDL is not required even though the trailer is over 10k if I read the CDL requirements correctly? How do I register The F350, 11,200 of the truck or total GCWR?

I am looking to set myself up as an auto transporter and want to get my ducks in a row. I have been looking at rollbacks to buy and just got my first insurance quote back at $7100. I am wondering if I can save some cash by using the ol F350 with the two car since I was going have a buddy of mine who is out of work run it a couple days a week so I can stay at my current job. He does not have a cdl. I have the ins co running #'s on this instead of a tow truck in hopes to save $. Plus it beats me buying a flatbed at this point in time even though I really want one.

If all is successful my plan is to pick up a tractor and 3/4 car trailer. Of course it would be some type of Mack. Maybe an R or Superliner or even a CH. Then maybe build my B61 rollback!

Then I should prob look into this. I was under the impression that since the GCWR was under 26,000 I was still ok. I might have to contact NJ DMV for this. I have been using this trailer at our shop since 1996 not for hire hauling and delivering our own stuff but since we are a dealership it still might fall under commercial use. I'll have to get my buddy with his tri axle dump to help me get my cdl, unless someone here would like to help. I can pay in beer!

What about the question of the pickup and trailer? Does it have to be registered at the GVWR of the truck or the combo of truck and trailer?

Then I should prob look into this. I was under the impression that since the GCWR was under 26,000 I was still ok. I might have to contact NJ DMV for this. I have been using this trailer at our shop since 1996 not for hire hauling and delivering our own stuff but since we are a dealership it still might fall under commercial use. I'll have to get my buddy with his tri axle dump to help me get my cdl, unless someone here would like to help. I can pay in beer!What about the question of the pickup and trailer? Does it have to be registered at the GVWR of the truck or the combo of truck and trailer?

Every state is different. Here you would license the truck for 25k and there would be no weight on the trailer plate.

Some states require the tow vehicle to be registered heavy enough to cover the entire combination. Other states, you register the truck for it's GVWR, and the trailer for its GVWR.

For example, I know Illinois adds the truck's tag and the trailer's tag, and your GCWR needs to be no more than the combined plates....so my F250 can have 8,000 tags on it, and If I wanted to pull a trailer tagged at 20,000, I can run down the road at 28,000 gross weight (provided I'm not exceeding the manufacturer's axle limits on the truck or trailer).

Across the river in Missouri, however, the truck needs to be tagged heavy enough to cover the combination. Whatever the truck + trailer + load weighs, you'd better have the truck registered heavy enough to cover it.

In other words, check into what your state requires and do whatever the law says you need to do.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

pages 1 through 3 cover what you need with the weight breaks for N.J

.http://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/Commercial/CDL_Manual_english.pdf

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Well this puts me in a different direction since if I am going to need a CDL or anyone else driving this combo it would make more sense to invest in a truck and trailer that can do 3-4 cars at a time to maximize the money per trailerful. Time to reorganize and figure what I want to do. Plus I don't think the insurance guys want me calling every other day changing my mind on flatbed then pickup and trailer to semi.

As always you input is helpful and most appreciated.

Paul,

I have the manual downloaded I guess I was interpreting differently.

My two cents worth. I think everyone involved with trucks, even if it is a hobby, should have a Class A CDL. That will avoid all of the questions we hear on BMT about if a CDL is required. It protects us from law enforcement officials. I am on I 80 in Pennsylvania a lot and I see DOT have just as many pickup trucks pulling small trailers stopped as big rigs. I too went through this several years ago when I bought a trailer to pull behind my one ton pickup. In fact, the dealer derated the trailer so that I would be under the 26,000 lbs. and not have to get a CDL. Since then the laws have changed and there are new trailer regulations.

I retired at 62 selling my business and got involved with trucks when I bought a B Model Mack dump. At this point I went thru the same thing about getting a CDL. I bit the bullet and took a one week course at a local driving school and got my Class A CDL. This was at age 63 and it is very difficult to teach an old dog new tricks. But I did it and have had my CDL for two years. I have since bought a 2000 Mack Vision and am driving part time. I have always enjoyed trucks since I was a kid growing up and working at my Dad's gas station but pursued a different career. I am a funeral director and had my own funeral home for many years prior to retirement.

Again, get your CDL and you won't have to keep looking in the mirrors for police.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

Paul, I have the manual downloaded I guess I was interpreting differently.

Jersey seems to always have confusing DMV info like Cali. I agree just get a A CDL.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I agree with you guys. A CDL is the move. I was discussing it with my wife last night and she said it will only help. I won't be limited to the types of trucks I can buy. I have to see if I can call in a favor with some friends to see if they can help with their trucks so I can get some road time and hopefully use them to take my test. I don't think I will have any problems with the driving portion, its the pretrip and all the questions I want to make sure I have down pat.

I am thinking this is the kinda rig I should be looking for - 5 Pack is perfect, hauls 5 and no trailer, easy to drive:

3Ea3M73Jb5I95L55K4ccl2af7480b036a16bc.jp

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/3493705514.html

or

3G83L43Na5Ib5Gc5J8d21d2030b74aa3f1979.jp

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3587611520.html

I dont know about all that stuff guys, read the first line of each, per the Fed DOT, and most states, Class A-a vehicle over 26,001 gvwr with a trailer over 10,000gvwr , Class B- a vehicle over 26,001 gvwr, or a vehicle over 26,001 gvwr towing a trailer under 10,000 gvwr, class C a vehicle under 26,001 gvwr used to transport hazardous materials, or a bus designed to seat more than 15 people including the driver.

That said the F-350 is under 26,001 and therefore falls under a Class D no matter what is towed as long as it is legal weight, and not used for hauling Hazardous materials. I know several people that haul cars on wedge trailers over 10,000gvwr with trucks under 26,001 gvwr and have a class D with an F (for hire) endorsement, the cdl law pertains more to the driven vehicle not the trailer.

As for tags in most states you have to tag the truck to cover the weight of both the truck and trailer and then put a trailer or semi tag on the trailer, if you plan to use the vehicle in interstate commerce you will have to get an apportioned tag and your operating authority, if you can prove you only haul agricultural materials you can bypass the authority.

I had a class D with an F endorsement before I got my class B years ago (then class A) so I could drive trucks for money under 26,001 gvwr, over that it goes to a cdl.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Paul, I have the manual downloaded I guess I was interpreting differently.

It is confusing but it is actually correct when it says vehicles over 26,001 GVWR you are not over 26,001 gvwr you are 11,200 gvwr, you can make this a lot more difficult if you read too much into it. Keep it simple and do what the book says word for word, if your Ford does not specify a GCWR over 26,001 in the door or a gvwr over 26,001 in the door so you are under CDL however as I said above if you drive for someone else you have to have a F endorsement that is the difference between driving a company car sometimes for work and driving as a job under 26,001 gvwr. Now I step back to wait for someone to tell me Im wrong,LOL! I agree a cdl is the best route go ahead and get it and you will have it but for your combo you dont need it.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I spoke with the local DMV clerk today as I had to pick up title work for my shop. She clearly had no clue what I was talking about so I just left without my questions answered. But I spoke with my friend Russ and told him I wanted to get my CDL. He said if I pass my physical and the written test dont worry about the road test. He can get a truck and trailer for me to use and practice on. He's gone this before helping other guys and said no one failed yet so I am not going to be the first. I have the manual so for the next few weeks I am reading up.

Not sure if it will help anything but when I was running a f350 with a 3 car wedge I would run all the way to oregon and california.....I just have a class B and got by as long as I kept the gross weight at 26,000. That's with either 2 cars or 3 campers.....scalehouses really love to drag you in there with that combo so be cautious. I believe I've been dot inspected at every scalehoue going west at one point or another......just my .02

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy