Back in the day I remember seeing R models coming down the road with the driver side front bumper torqued obviously higher than the right side even when stoped not under power, old men would tell you that indicated that the driver had the fuel turn up on those engines. There where also stories of 237 macks running with 350 cummins. One tanker company "Branch Transfer" was noted as having the fastest trucks on the road with 237s and 300s later, when their trucks made it to the mack dealership, I remember the exhaust manifolds being white. I also remember drivers using a "Stingers" for the fuel pumps. Also a trucking company "FW Groves" had F models with V8s and all truckers knew they wouldn't stand a chance against one of those souped up V8s. they hired a talented mack trained V8 mechanic just to keep them on the road.

Great days

Edited by realwolfdaddy

My dad had a DM tri-axle that went from 45-80mph in 5th gear. It had a 237 w/ a 6 speed everyone use to open the hood to see what we had in there! My dad was running his R-model up a hill on 691 on Meriden/Southington line and his friend was behind him with his Pete with a 425 CAT he couldn't keep up with my dad who had a 350, 6 speed. The Pete had 23 1/2tn on and my dad had 26tn on! shows the power of the old macks

Matt

My dad had a DM tri-axle that went from 45-80mph in 5th gear. It had a 237 w/ a 6 speed everyone use to open the hood to see what we had in there! My dad was running his R-model up a hill on 691 on Meriden/Southington line and his friend was behind him with his Pete with a 425 CAT he couldn't keep up with my dad who had a 350, 6 speed. The Pete had 23 1/2tn on and my dad had 26tn on! shows the power of the old macks

Any specs/pics on that DM?

A good friend of mine bought an older RD tri axle dump years back. It was a "300" (676) and it ran really good, but he was concerned about the fact it would easily turn 2300 rpms under a load and really smoked. He took it to the local Mack dealer and ran it on the dyno, turned out it was putting 400 horses to the wheels!

Needless to say, it was their recommendation to turn it back just a little.

• Like 2

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Any specs/pics on that DM?

1974 237, 6 speed, 46k rears, 22.5 spoke We use yo move everything with it. One time one of our stupid drivers went up a hill that said "Trucks Restricted" on both sides with 25tn of asphalt on and a paving box. Started to slip and he locked in the power-divier and broke all the axles other than that the truck always did what it needed to do.

post-13537-0-04718700-1360618611_thumb.j

Matt

That's why everyone would always open up the hood and shake their head. That truck also was able to pull out of a 80ft deep hole while all the Petes and KWs were dropping drive shafts they also had to bring a bunch of B-81s in to help too.

My Uncle had a Superliner with a 350 maxidyne. One time he was loading roll steel out of the port of Wilmington NC, there was other drivers there driving Peterbuilts and Kenworths. He stalled strapping his load down, because he didn't want those guys with those big powered cats and cummins running all over him on the road. Finally they left, after that my uncle left only to find them outside of town waiting for him, and as he thought they flew right past him so far ahead he couldn't ever hear them on the CB. Then when they got in the hilly region of the state he started passing them one by one until after a few minutes he couldn't hear them anymore on the CB, this time he was in front. Those guys couldn't believe what that Mack had done to them.

Dogs have always been good torque engines, rarely the fastest but they always pulled good in hills, Howard Baer in Nashville used to have a bunch of Mack R model daycabs with 300+ and 9 speed, there have been many a story told around here about an old Howard Baer One Stack Mack running in the left lane passing everything from Nashville to Atlanta and back. I remember one story from a friend of mines dad that drove for Carl Stewart, Carl and Howard used to go back and forth on the trucks one outdoing the other, supposedly Carl just bought a brand new Pete with a CAT 425 B model and it got passed on Mt Eagle going to Atlanta by a cranked up Howard Baer R model with a 300+, Carl was so mad he took the truck back to Pete and told em they could keep the piece of shit if they didnt turn it up. I used to love listeneing to the stories the old guys told at Howard Baer, when I started there we still had some Large Cars, several KW W900's with 475/550 Cats 13 spds, N-14 435/500 and 525 w 10 and 13spds, the "little" trucks had 470 or 500 Detroits and 10 spds. I had a Freightliner Classic for a while with a Cummins N14 525, 13 spd, 3.70 rears, that thing would pull boy, I used to love hitting Mt Eagle and passing everybody all the way to the top, same on Birdsong hill on I40 going to Memphis. I was there about 6 months and they started turning the trucks down to 74 and cutting the fuel, I was tore up but I managed to keep my "big truck" till I went to work in the shop.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

when u turn the fuel up all the way on a425cat it becomes a real powerhouse, and the power is awesome, i got. One.

The Paccars would pass us on the flat on I 78 heading east to NYC in Jersey.., but when we hit Jugtown Mountain we would just walk on by em....

The BULLDOG had to good in the hills,just to get out of Pa.! :loldude::SMOKIE-LFT:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Surely not a powerhouse, but I did have fun last summer running across Rt 70 to a race in Columbus. I was trying to get around some slower moving traffic and was out in the left lane and my exit was sneaking up on me. I saw some large cars running up ahead..............so I slipped the rear box into OD and just held it to the floor. I rolled up and past them boys about 75 mph and was still making steam LOL!! It has enough gear for 85, but only downhill when pulling a trailer. I got thumbs up from the drivers and the radio was just chatter'n away. The girlfriend was just shaking her head. I don't think they ever saw a B model go that fast?

I made my exit. :whistling:

Need a video of that.

It does take alot of muster(all 187 hp) to get to 75 pulling the trailer, but on level ground it will do it. I just pat the side of my seat and yell "Come on Muttly, GO!!"

I bobtailed it to 80 mph once, but ran outta road(um, well, came to a hill). Still had a couple hundred rpm to go.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It does take alot of muster(all 187 hp) to get to 75 pulling the trailer, but on level ground it will do it. I just pat the side of my seat and yell "Come on Muttly, GO!!"

I bobtailed it to 80 mph once, but ran outta road(um, well, came to a hill). Still had a couple hundred rpm to go.

Any gears left? LOL!...................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

dunno my B61 with 711 and triplex and 4.00 rear end will do about 78 haha. passed a few trucks here and there on the way to the show in Springfield and back and look over and see them shakin their heads. especially on some of the hills on the Mass pike that get you slowed right down after passin some new truck at 75 miles an hour. haha . talked to a few guys at the show who seen my cousin and i on the road and they go'' jesus, i never seen two B models go that fast!''. my cousin is runnin a B68T with a 237 turned up so she smokes black backed by a 18 speed double over quad with 4.28 gears in a posi rear end. trust me, it will smoke both back tires haha.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Nope, 85 is all she has, all sticks in the biggest holes I can find LOL!!! I usually run the rear aux in direct, which gets me 72, which I run 65-68 or so for the most part.

Man, I wish I had some more Umph! I did turn the screw up on my pump. It will put a nice steady haze out the pipes.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"