1962 Caterpillar D6B Restoration

jakebrake86

Had a 59 JD 440 with a 2/53 DD better shape when I sold it then bought it, was fun little dozer, wish I still had it sometimes.

I have to implement rule 567a.01 sometimes at my house, which states if you cant/dont use it let some else enjoy it, that rule keeps the wife and the neighbors happy, and me the oppurtunity get someting else.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I agree that Caterpillar has always made tough construction equipment, but lagged years behind the other manufacturers when it came to the use of hydraulic cylinders and electric start on graders and large dozers. Why did Cat stick with cable dozers, mechanical lift graders and pony motor start engines? Did they feel that hydraulics and electric start were not durable enough at the time? I'm not trash talking, just curious as to why.

My dad used to have a mid 1960's Cat 955H traxcavator/bucket dozer (same size engine as a D6 if I recall correctly) and it was a great machine. We used it mostly for loading pit run gravel into the gravel trucks. For years now he has had a 1969 vintage 966C Cat articulating loader for his gravel business. When it came to their articulating loaders, they were ahead of their time. Best loaders ever made.

• Like 1

Had a 59 JD 440 with a 2/53 DD better shape when I sold it then bought it, was fun little dozer, wish I still had it sometimes.

I have to implement rule 567a.01 sometimes at my house, which states if you cant/dont use it let some else enjoy it, that rule keeps the wife and the neighbors happy, and me the oppurtunity get someting else.

That's a good rule of thumb to have!

Jake

One of the coolest memories from my younger years was watching my grandpa start his old D8 with the pony motor! That was f*kin cool! IF I could find an old D8, and IF I had the money and IF I had a place to operate it, I would buy one!

I've never been around a direct start 8, but I grew up around 3T and 17A D7's. I always loved the way those big ole four bangers sounded when the little motor was wheeling it over, then shut the compresion release, and POP POP POP!!! Nothin' like it!

Jake

That pic makes me start drooling,,,well,,,drooling more than usual anyway. Macks and old cats get my motor running. Had my D6D loaded up on ole Killer B yesterday, bellering down the highway. Congratulations on good find! randyp

I'm glad y'all like 'em too! Yep, Cats and Dogs is where it's at!

Jake

I agree that Caterpillar has always made tough construction equipment, but lagged years behind the other manufacturers when it came to the use of hydraulic cylinders and electric start on graders and large dozers. Why did Cat stick with cable dozers, mechanical lift graders and pony motor start engines? Did they feel that hydraulics and electric start were not durable enough at the time? I'm not trash talking, just curious as to why.

My dad used to have a mid 1960's Cat 955H traxcavator/bucket dozer (same size engine as a D6 if I recall correctly) and it was a great machine. We used it mostly for loading pit run gravel into the gravel trucks. For years now he has had a 1969 vintage 966C Cat articulating loader for his gravel business. When it came to their articulating loaders, they were ahead of their time. Best loaders ever made.

I used to wonder the same thing. This machine was built well after Cat started using hydraulics, but this was back in the good ole days where if you were willing to buy a new machine, you could spec it the way you wanted it! Apparently there were a bunch of die hard old timers that stuck by the old cable and winch control.

I almost bought an old as the hills 955h a couple of years ago, but found a pretty good deal on a 31Y 943. I use it for everything.. Track loaders are one of the most versatile machines available, in my opinion. I can't figure out why you see fewer and fewer of them still running?

Jake

I used to wonder the same thing. This machine was built well after Cat started using hydraulics, but this was back in the good ole days where if you were willing to buy a new machine, you could spec it the way you wanted it! Apparently there were a bunch of die hard old timers that stuck by the old cable and winch control.

I almost bought an old as the hills 955h a couple of years ago, but found a pretty good deal on a 31Y 943. I use it for everything.. Track loaders are one of the most versatile machines available, in my opinion. I can't figure out why you see fewer and fewer of them still running?

As you started seeing more excavators you started seeing less track loaders.

That pic makes me start drooling,,,well,,,drooling more than usual anyway. Macks and old cats get my motor running. Had my D6D loaded up on ole Killer B yesterday, bellering down the highway. Congratulations on good find! randyp

Randy, Which was the better machine? D6C or D6D?

When I get home I'll have to dig out pics of our old 235,D5, and 950. I think 1 of the best dozers I ever ran was a jd 350. Little bastard was a house pad grading sob. See If I can find the pic of the D6D I ran hooked to the Dm that layed over. I think between the 6 and the D8 I ran Idk which pushed better. That 6 was a pushing sob. But that 8 would move the piles faster then the draglines could stack

As you started seeing more excavators you started seeing less track loaders.

I totally agree. The advantage of a traxcavator/track loader is that one machine can do many things (doze, load, dig, level) but when my dad expanded his excavating & gravel business, he eventually bought an excavator and a 6-way dozer and therefor no longer needed the track loader. I still miss the old Cat 955H though, it even had a short sloped hood like a Mack C-600!

I enjoy seeing pics of the vintage CAT machines. Although I worked for the "yellow father" I never acquired an interest in collecting/restoring a CAT machine. I spent most of my time developing on-highway truck engines. Perhaps that is why I prefer trucks.

Part of the new hire program at CAT was spending two (2) weeks at the Peoria Proving Grounds playing working with all the equipment. My favorites were the tandem scraper and 977 traxcavator. The motorgrader was fun but too complicated for me. I remember a guy buried a D8 to the top of the tracks. It took two (2) D9s to get it out.

BTW, I have a bunch of parts books from when I worked at CAT (buried somewhere in the basement). Is there a market for them and where would I advertise them (other than fleabay)?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

farmer52,parts books aren't that collectable unless they are from the 20's-30's.You can try fleabay.Let me know what you have and I can check with some friends of mine to see if they would be interested in them.Mike

Thanks for the note. My stuff is from the 70s and 80s.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Just found this one, this is more like what I remember my Grandpa doing...I believe the lever down below held the exhaust valves open to let the engine spin faster to build oil pressure quicker...and I remember have to push the fuel knob in and turn it to lock it on the pony motor!

Just found this one, this is more like what I remember my Grandpa doing...I believe the lever down below held the exhaust valves open to let the engine spin faster to build oil pressure quicker...and I remember have to push the fuel knob in and turn it to lock it on the pony motor!

Run-Start

I will have to scan in some pics of my dads logging equipment. He had a beautiful D6B model dozer which was his first piece of equipment that he owned. He kept that ole girl for years and used it for decking in the landing, and clearing and piling brush and smoothing the landing for the log trucks. He got rid of it about 10 years ago when some guy saw it sitting at his shop offered an obscene amount of money so dad took it. He still has a D6D and a late model D5H high track model equipped with a swinging grapple and it has a ton of clearance under it. I am guessing there are "skidding" models and dirt work models which is why that why sits so high? Anyway cool thread, I love old iron.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.