Almost ready to fire off the lanova

Getting ready to crank up the old Lanova in my A51T. Hooked the fuel lines back up to the tank, changed fuel filter, checked oil and just been taking a few gallons of cleaner and a vaccum to the entire truck. I already hooked up some air and tested the air system and bled the condensate from the tanks. Now I just mainly need to put a few gallons of diesel in and hook up a couple of batteries. Ill cross my finger and hope that it starts. Now I assume the starter switch is the button near the door on the dash marked ST? There is alot of re-wiring to be done. Paint and body as well. One last question is the oil filter for the 510c.i. lanova the dual flow unit? From what I see Wix, Baldwin, Fram and a few other still makes these.

post-13215-0-85372600-1355603433_thumb.j

post-13215-0-15551200-1355603473_thumb.j

post-13215-0-31996300-1355603503_thumb.j

post-13215-0-90136600-1355603536_thumb.j

• Like 1

Can't wait! I had an A51T also, but sold it to a guy who stuffed it in a barn,in Iowa (not Superdog)! Never did have its END510 running.That filter housing almost looks like an early (correct) Luberfiner with that bolt on top cover like that.I don't know what year MACK came out with Full-Flow/Bypass like I have on the BCR. Could that be an early version of the MACK filter? Does it have any lettering on the top of the cover at all? The early Luberfiners do. Always liked the A's! :bulldog3:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

If it's Lanova you need to press first a button HT (heaters) to warm up plugs. Than next ST - starter.

I have Lanova 519 ci but it's ED,not END. Looks different than on the pictures.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I polished some of the rust off the top it does say Luber finer Los Angelas made in U.S.A. It took a 10 micron 3107 fuel filter and the orange filter canister seen in the pics was bypass as I think that was the original filter housing? Also what is the secondary oil filter for below the fuel filter in the picture shown. How exactly does this heater setup work. There is an ether injector below the air bath with the spark plug setup on the intake elbow?

Edited by boostedretard

I polished some of the rust off the top it does say Luber finer Los Angelas made in U.S.A. It took a 10 micron 3107 fuel filter and the orange filter canister seen in the pics was bypass as I think that was the original filter housing? Also what is the secondary oil filter for below the fuel filter in the picture shown. How exactly does this heater setup work. There is an ether injector below the air bath with the spark plug setup on the intake elbow?

My LFT has a "burner" setup on the intake elbow, but it uses diesel and a coil, not ether. I don't have the pump for it, though...

Now that I looked it over that is likely how this truck is setup as well. Except the line is capped off after the injection solenoid on the firewall and the hole plugged on the elbow. I'm not worried as like I said I will just feed it some hot air. All I have left to do is throw a pair of batteries in it and fill the tank with a few gallons and check the elecrical for any shorted circuits since some things are unplugged just hanging around.

Edited by boostedretard

dont know if you did this,,,but i like to remove injectors and shoot abuncha motor oil into cylenders with oil can let it soak into rings before turning engine over,,,if its been sitting a while,,,you must be getting excited,,,i would be good luck...it loooks good so far...bob

Well since it was said to have ran in the last couple years. I felt like just bumping it and seeing what it does. The motor is free as can be and cranks over fast. I just need to prime the system now. I would have kept working on getting it turned over but off to work now and will likely keep going tomorrow. Heres a short clip...

Now that I looked it over that is likely how this truck is setup as well. Except the line is capped off after the injection solenoid on the firewall and the hole plugged on the elbow. I'm not worried as like I said I will just feed it some hot air. All I have left to do is throw a pair of batteries in it and fill the tank with a few gallons and check the elecrical for any shorted circuits since some things are unplugged just hanging around.

The Lanova is a hard starting SOB. If it is below 55, I like to use my heat gun in the intake elbow to help the cause. That makes it start real easy!

Glad to see you are getting it running instead of taking the cab off for that 1 ton project. It will be much cooler to have this as a complete original truck. Plus it's just a shame to take apart a rare rig like this.

Post more pics and video when she's running!

My Lanova has heating units those fitted betveen cylinder heads and intake mainfold. There are electric spirales inside them with fat electric supply cables. You need to warm them up with a dash button before cranking. I heared these engines do not like cold start but can't say anything about my one because it's stuck now. Hasn't turned over probably since 1983. Heater plugs are typical for most pre-chamber engines as Mack Lanova is. Intake air is warming up for a fuel blow up when a piston going to it's upper point. Pre-chamber with main chamber (cylinder) have more cooling surface in relation to a single chamber. That's why these engines require more heat to start and usually use pre-heaters.

Putting some bits of oil into cylinders is not a bad idea to prevent linings and pistons from dry scratching.

Do all the Lanova's have both Glow plugs and an intake pre heater or just the Military applications? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

NR has neither pre heater, plugs only. Of course I haven't inspected all 16548 units were made but books told me.

On my mind they're not really plugs. They aren't inside combastion chambers, in the head air inlets, heating an air before it gets in.

Wonder how they are really efficient.

Well i bought a 4$ hair dryer from the goodwill to fill the intake with some nice hot air. I primed the fuel system and am now seeing fuel pressure. Oil presssure is building up. the fuel rack plunger deal that slides out the back of the injection pump is being pumped up. the problem I now have is these used weak light duty batteries that only give me a few seconds of full cranking power. she is cranking now twice the speed as yesterday. Which was is the fuel shutdown lever on the woodward? forward or to the rear. the cable for the shutdown is broke and will be replaced.

Yes boostedretard, you are correct. I now see there were also such things as END457's in EH Diesel's, so possibly there were others.

I have just looked in my A51 maintenance manual and it shows it as END510.

Maybe the NR was an ED510. The NR's appear to have used a two piece inlet manifold, this could be one of the differences between an ED510 or 519, and an END510 etc.

I would guess that sometime between the mid 40's and 1950 they have changed designations in line with some improvements from ED to END for Mack diesels.

This is the question I'm trying to clean up to me.

NR manuals tell ED. I have never seen ED519 so suppose there is the only ED engine.

The displacement note in the manual say 519 c.i.

Intake mainfold consists of 2 pieces, or more correctly say 3 pieces.

I thought originally ED means pre-chamber and END single chamber so surprized too when found out END672 Lanova.

END457 is also Lanova but this is marine engine if the memory serves me good.

Some sources tell 30's early B series trucks were equipped with ED Lanova's.

Have neither info excepting the picture in that book though.