Mack engines in Non Macks?

I have an E9 500 in a 88 Superliner gravel truck that's super strong. Probably the strongest gravel truck in the area. And I guess I was wondering if Mack engines ever found there way into Paccar's etc? For what it's worth I have a 3408 in an old Pete and it's quite strong, but it's in a highway tractor with appropriate gearing. While my Superliner is vocationally spec'd.

We all know you could get a Cat, Cummins or Detroit in a Mack. I was just wondering if any Manufacturers offered Mack engines as an option?

When I was a kid, my dad put a 673 Mack diesel drive train (dup. push pull) in a 50's 260 Brockway. The brock had a big Con. gas motor 572? with a two speed rear, he locked the rear in high range, and the truck ran fine!! He loved the Brockways but had oil press. prob's with the big Brockway Continental's he always liked the Mack 707's

BULLHUSK

There's a construction company here in town that's infamous for repowering trucks and equipment with whatever's laying around in the boneyard. They have an EL 240 Cat hoe with a 671 Detroit power unit out of a northwest dragline, a 200 Komatsu with a John Deere motor, but my favorite has to be the mid 80's White-GMC with a 237 Maxidyne. Redneck ingenuity at its best!

Jake

Years ago,I was at an auction with Grandpa and there was a 110" cab Pete glider kit built with a 325 V8 Mack,5 speed and Mack rears on Camelback. Friend of mine from AZ sent me pics of a Bubblenose Freightliner with complete Mack drivetrain,673,Triplex,and Mack rears.Also, a friend of mine's uncle kitted some of the early White/GMC's with components from F models.

:SMOKIE-RT:

Well,that gets me thinkin';I have a spare Mack REO gas motor and 5 speed from an E school bus sitting around-what could I install IT in? Maybe an old GMC 2 ton? (Not my '54,it still runs too good.) :wacko:

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Well,that gets me thinkin';I have a spare Mack REO gas motor and 5 speed from an E school bus sitting around-what could I install IT in? Maybe an old GMC 2 ton? (Not my '54,it still runs too good.) :wacko:

Speed

Mack REO? Are you sure it's not a REO engine that was fitted into the Mack.I know army surplus White halftrack engines were a very popular re-power back in the day,cheap & plentiful.

Of course you're right-I wasn't clear on my meaning. This engine is marked REO,but has the same ID number as the bus had,so it must have been a retro-fit. It's also marked as a 354 C.I. engine. What I've read so far shows thew 5 speed is a direct 5th model. (Bummer) I'm thinking if I find a 2 ton truck with a dead engine or without an engine,this might make an interesting swap. I still have the radiator,so if I can make room for it the only serious mods will be throttle linkage,exhaust,clutch linkage and the u-joint/front drive line section. Sure-there's a LOT of engines that'd be easier to install in a GM truck,but THIS would have CHARACTER! (Also about twice the torque of a GMC 302 or a small block Chevy.) The question,which I think I already know the answer to,is would this engine/trans. be too heavy for a 1-1/2 or 2 Ton truck?

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

B61Mack:Is Stan Young still with us.Haven't heard from him in a few years.Say hello to him from me when yuo see him next .We put E9s @500hp and Mack 12 speeds in Pacific's,Challender's,Hayes's off-high-way trucks out here and they worked out really good.Beat out all others in fuel economy.Some evan had the 6061 Allisson trans behide them.

I have alway thought of putting an old mack E5 Midliner engine in a pickup Im just scared about the parts availability but you can get the 6 liter version pretty cheap considering and it says Mack on the data plate(renault on the block).

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Notice the Bulldog on the hood and no red oval on the grill.

Jeff Tripp out of Jackson, NJ, runs a Pete 379 daycab tractor that was built as a glider with an E9-500 under the hood. The truck pulls an Alumatech dump trailer and is a common sight here in NJ.

Here is a pic from Flickr...

post-1829-0-20264000-1353597545_thumb.jp

-John

• Like 1

B61Mack:Is Stan Young still with us.Haven't heard from him in a few years.Say hello to him from me when yuo see him next .We put E9s @500hp and Mack 12 speeds in Pacific's,Challender's,Hayes's off-high-way trucks out here and they worked out really good.Beat out all others in fuel economy.Some evan had the 6061 Allisson trans behide them.

Bob the only time i see him is at Macungie, he must be doing good he drives the KB 12 down every year. his son follows him down incase he has trouble. when i see him again i will tell him you said hello. Ron

The Mack Jr's and as well as the same REO's were continental engines. REO had Silver Nickel cast into the blocks but they were Continentals. when i restored the Mack Jr in 95 I went to Napa and got a complete rebuild kit as the same engines were used for years in forklifts.

In the mid '70's,a magazine called "Truck Tracks" featured a W 900 glider kit that was working for Sea-Land on the Alaska Pipeline,that had been built with a 325 Maxidyne V-8 in it.If I remember right,the guy bought all brand new components to do it!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Don't know if this counts,but years ago when i started at Atlas Van Lines,we had an owner-operator with a W-series Ford cab on a single axle F-model chassis with a 237/5 speed (a tree fell on the F-model,and the cab was beyond repair,the ford cab was cheaper to replace then the Mack at the time)................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.