1966 B815SX Winch truck

ww046

I have the original order sheet for this truck from the Mack museum, and you are absolutely right. The engine has been replaced, and is not the original ENDT 864. It has a NHC 250 Cummins, engine number 555072. Sorry about my mistake.

Edited by ww046

Very neat truck. Definitely worth restoring or just saving as is. When it was made Mack used the model to designate the engine. A B81 should have had a naturally aspirated 673 in it. A B813 would have a 673 with a turbo. A B815 would have an 864 in it. I think a B83 would have a Cummins in it. Someone on here would know better than me. No one is calling you a liar. There are a lot of people who just don't know the specifics. The paper work you It would seem that Mack made a mistake on the desination of this truck if they sent it out of the factory as a B815 with a Cummins in it. Can you scan the page with the engine details on it so I can see? It would be very interesting if Mack actually did this. Again, nice truck. I wish it was closer to PA.

Mike

I have the original order sheet for this truck from the Mack museum. The engine is original, not been replaced, is a 250 Cummins, and runs good. I do not understand why you think I would lie about this truck. If you are serious about buying it, and I don't think you are, make an offer. If you doubt what this truck is, contact the Mack museum and verify the information from the serial number I have included in the description, like I did, for the accuracy of the specifications I have listed. I have the documentation and a service manual, also stated in the original description, for people who question what this truck is. If you want a Mack with a Mack engine, this is not the truck for you.

Wasn't trying to offend anyone just was going by the model number as Mike stated.

If it is indeed a B-815 with a 250 Cummins from the factory you've got something very special and as a matter of fact would have been a better truck

than if it had the V-8 Mack in it anyway!!!

Ron

Hi, you have quoted the chassis No., that chassis No. is for an END864.

It is quite normal for people to wonder what is the story.

I have known of new trucks to be altered by the factory or the dealer, (in Australia) to suit recquirements.

It could be that at the end of the model run, before the R model, that someone wanted a B83 in a certain WB or whatever, and the engine was swapped when the truck was new to make the sale.

It's also possible that the truck could have been two or four years old and Mack did an engine change. The paper work you have could be for that. We don't know. We're just wondering.

All we know is there is a guy with a 66 Mack B815SX with a Cummins 250 in it, who says it's original, and a few blokes are saying 'a B815 would be an END864 V8, wonder what the story is, it's not quite clear'.

The models go something like this,

B80 Mack Gas(petrol)

B81 Mack END673

B83 Cummins 220-250

B813 Mack END673T

B815 Mack END864 V8

B87 Cummins turbo 6

Regards Jeff.

Correction to the above, a B87 is a Supercharged 6, a B873 is a Turbo 6

• Like 1

Hi Jim, the model numbers can be confusing, e.g.

A B633 is an END673T but it was different with the B80 series.

B83 Cummins 220-250, depending on year.

B833 Cummins NT-6-B

B85 Cummins NHS-6-B

B853 Cummins NTO

B87 Cummins NHRS-6-B, ( an error in my previous post, I said a B87 was a Cummins Turbo 6, it is a Supercharged 6)

B873 Cummins NRT-6-B

Regards Jeff.

• Like 1

one possibility is that it was ordered with the V8 and then changed before delivery.By '66 the NH250 would have replaced the NH220 as the base Cummins engine for the B73 &B83's.I've heard of trucks being sent back for mods after completion,I have one B61 that according to the build sheet was sent back and had the rears and front axle changed .Brad Wlikes greeen H-61 was built as a H60 and had the gas engine replaced with a diesel before delivery.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was a bit irritated with myself because I did not do my homework before posting the ad for this truck. Please re-read the description I have re-written. Call or e-mail with any detailed information you would like to have about this truck.