B model angled steering shaft

had power steering judging by the pics and the universal joint at the end. also def a b75 or 73. the B61's used a smaller column when they had power steering, just a short section and a u joint and usually a RH shephard box. this was the top of the line power steering i think tho. the cheaper route was the air or hydraulic assist which had cylinders on the drag link or tie rod or both.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Here is what I found out,,,now was this factory? I don't know...he said the B model cab he gave me for parts had this steering shaft in it,had power steering gear box and had dulpex style front tires...I still have the doors so I checked the tag...B61LST 45647...he said he still has that frame with gear box on it...and yes the u joint slipped on the steering box shaft....Jim

i think id get my hands on the box if not the whole frame. never seen that style steering shaft used in anything but a B75 series truck. i assume it might have been a B61 built with the kentucky radiator( B73 or B75) as we call them up north. maybe thats the reason for the steering?

He said he bought it at an auction years ago...cab and frame minus the engine,had duplex tranny 9 speed and that some one extended the frame.It had been fixed up at some point so no telling what they changed but it had a newer air seat and this steering set up with wide front tires like on an old mixer and has pto lever.no glad hand bracket holes in cab or muffler bracket on cab...also had B 61 fenders and chrome shell but they were rusted beyond repair.Wiper motor is in cab instead of on firewall,when did they change? Maddog...what size brake chambers should I use on my 1963 B 61T single axle...I figured 24s or 30s on the rear with spring brakes but not sure about the fronts. thanks Jim

The reason for the u joint in the b73/b75 series is that the steering box is in the same spot as a b 61 truck, the cab however is farther back on the frame. The steering box is tilted towards the rear of the truck to reach the correct spot in the cab, the joint is to tilt the steering wheel up to correct the angle of the steering column for driver comfort. I am thinking that I would check the frame numbers since you said it had "duplex" front wheels, I am thinking "gunite" wheels. So I am thinking a possible b53 frame, that would have came with the intergrated style power steering. Well enough for the Mack CSI, I would love to get my hands on one of those power steering box set ups, it must be your lucky day!

Morgan Heaton

15 gears...no waiting!

the early B models had the wiper motor under the dash on the linkage pretty much. a bitch to work on and leaked oil all over the damn place. Mike is right around late 58 they moved them to outside on the firewall. some b model firetrucks that were open cab even had wipers on the inside and the outside of the glass

The wiper motor thing is interesting because the b61 I stripped was titled as a 65 but had the wiper motor under the dash and that explains why everything was coated in oil the truck had r model rears in it too....talk about mix and match

Rudy

yea, quit mentioning the r model rear with offset backin plates for NEW style chambers. yea that was a def re cab, had the ash tray down low with the throttle and engine stop up high and the radio delete plate in the dash. was a 53-55 cab. makes u wonder how a 55 cab ends up on a 65 truck, should be the other way around

that truck you parted out Rudy, must have been fast when it was running with the triplex behind the 711 with those rears ( 4 something ratio). sombody wrenched her for sure. did the door tag match the frame rail????

I looked today on the frame for the vin and i can't find it its not in the same place where the vin is on my b81

yea, quit mentioning the r model rear with offset backin plates for NEW style chambers. yea that was a def re cab, had the ash tray down low with the throttle and engine stop up high and the radio delete plate in the dash. was a 53-55 cab. makes u wonder how a 55 cab ends up on a 65 truck, should be the other way around

yeah that don't make much sence. I dident know those rears were a big deal there was 2 r models in the u pull it junkyard a few months back and they had the same set up in them.

i put 30 maxi cans on the rear of mine and used an anti compound quick release valve. i teed into the air supply for the service brakes and ran to a port on the anti compound part. then ran the two lines to the cans and the other to the dash valve. you leave the front axle alone, no need to change those maybe just put new diaphragms in them.

post-6-0-54624100-1346555601_thumb.png

post-6-0-94978400-1346555628_thumb.png

post-6-0-21096400-1346555647_thumb.png

the early B models had the wiper motor under the dash on the linkage pretty much. a bitch to work on and leaked oil all over the damn place. Mike is right around late 58 they moved them to outside on the firewall. some b model firetrucks that were open cab even had wipers on the inside and the outside of the glass

wow, no kidding!

very interesing

dr