Check out this "sleeper"

vision386

Found this thing the otherday,man,there is NO WAY i would've gotten into that bunk! all in the name of loading ONE extra car? and Nashes of all things! (first picture) looks like 53 Fords in the second one...........................Mark

post-5836-0-37927600-1344721738_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-60263000-1344721747_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Worse yet imagine if u crashed!

That poor relief driver would be "first on the scene" . . . . . .

I get pretty spooked just looking at that top photo, looks like the poor guy is climbing into a coffin (one wrong move from his partner it could very well be his own!)

Glad to see that idea never caught on!

If i had the choice of this being the only "Shack" i could get or a Daycab id stick to the daycab & slump over the steering wheel !! :blink: Lord Know i did that many time in line for the Grain elevator in Memphis Before if i didnt wake up in time to pull up id alway had it arranged whoever was behind me to lay on the horn to let me know to pull up . ;)

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

I don't know, that's kinda cool for the novelty of it. I thought that had to have been loud at heck too from road noise but a cool concept. Of course I am thinking about it as something you never would see in a show and it was prob a scary thing in realility.

Looks like an early 50's Ford F8 cab modified. I remember seeing a 50's red COE at an ATHS show where to co driver slept under the front hood, over the engine behind the dash area. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That would be the shuts in the summer sleeping over the engine. Would suck being the driver having to stare at his slumbering co driver the entire trip :)

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Thanks for posting these Jim! i've been looking for that "fold-down" ad forever! i'd seen it in an old OVERDRIVE and have'nt been able to track it down...................aaahhhh the good ol' days! (my ass) LOL!...................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Thanks for posting these Jim! i've been looking for that "fold-down" ad forever! i'd seen it in an old OVERDRIVE and have'nt been able to track it down...................aaahhhh the good ol' days! (my ass) LOL!...................................Mark

When I worked for the door company, I ran regional daycabs, including the R model in my avatar. A member on the Hank's Truck Pictures forum offered to send a copy of that ad to my boss to help him eliminate hotel expenses. I get all warm and fuzzy when someone, out of the goodness of their heart, goes out of their way to help improve my quality of life. I'd never seen or heard of that contraption until he posted it.

It seems that R model might have just enough room to squeeze a traditional 36" sleeper behind the cab.

Jim

IMO that design beats the hell out of the trailer mounted sleepers that were hung under the trailer I've seen in other ads and magazine articles.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Corbitt DC600 The sleeper is in that compartment over the grill. You're in front of the dash board and over the power pack.

2824376390100720268S600x600Q85.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE