I should NOT be allowed inside Menards...

RowdyRebel

...without an adult chaperone.

So the brakes quit working on the Mack yesterday on my way home...light changed ahead of me and when I applied the brakes, it felt as though I had reached up and grabbed a handful of the hand brake. Empty trailer locked 'em up, but I wasn't slowing down. Ended up running the red (thank God it was the intersection it was...a T, cross road to the left, I was in the right lane....& there was nobody in front of me). So when I got home, I dropped the trailer (I was planning on taking advantage of this BEAUTIFUL 104 degree day and change the oil & grease the chassis anyway) and decided to try to figure out what was going on. Going forward, I could apply 30-40 psi on the application gauge (which would normally put you through the windshield if you aren't strapped in) and it was just BARELY easing to a stop...as though I was only applying 5-10 psi to the brakes. In reverse, the brakes worked fine. I grabbed my creeper and rolled underneath...plenty of pad left on the shoes, drums show a little wear (they are on their 2nd set of shoes) and might be a little glazed, but not enough to cause the loss of brakes like this. Everything inside the drums was dry...no grease or oil anywhere it shouldn't be. I was stumped.

So today, I dragged my ol' Ranger down behind me to the local Mack dealer, since they said they couldn't get it in today but they should be able to pull someone away for a couple minutes to give it a quick look-see. I told dispatch I needed Monday off, so now that the truck was down there and it was 11:00 before we got it looked at, I decided to just leave it there for them on Monday. No point in me bringing it back home and then I can't get parts 'til Monday if I figure out what's wrong anyway...

So when I left the Mack dealer, I swung by the post office to drop some checks in the mail...paying the bills...then went by Sears to make a payment on the credit card. I turned out of the Sears parking lot heading towards the house and that's when I saw it....the new Menards that I've been meaning to go check out since it opened a month or so ago.

I pulled in...couldn't have found a closer parking spot if I were handicapped...and left the windows open figuring I'd just be a few minutes. I wanted a couple stringers to rebuild the steps from the kitchen out into the garage. I had broke them a few years ago when I woke up to the sound of water flowing in the crawl space & wasn't exactly "gentle" in my haste to get them pryed off the wall so I could get into the crawl space. ANYWAY...I walk in and spot the electrical section immediately to my right, so I figure what's the harm in looking around? I've been needing to do something different with the way I've run the 220V across the garage to the air compressor and ESPECIALLY to the plug-in for the welder between the garage doors. When I ran the wires initially, I used a pair of disconnect switch fuse boxes...easy to turn the different appliances on & off from the kitchen door. Downside is they use the edison base screw-in fuses....fine for the air compressor (only needs a 20A fuse), but the welder has a tendency to blow the 30A fuses. Can't get 'em bigger than 30A, and I've yet to find a 30A screw-in resettable circuit breaker. Menards had 15A & 20A breakers...but not the 30A. So I bought another box that uses the flip switch breakers....bought a double pole 20 for the air compressor and a double pole 40 for the welder. The receptacle that I'll be plugging my aux box into is already on a 40A breaker. It's confusing to explain....but it works, and that's all I really care about.

Once I got that all squared away, I got to wandering into the plumbing section. The hot water on my shower doesn't turn off...handle spins, but it won't actually close the valve. Why the hell are there so many damn different types of these stupid things? I'm going to have to go down into the crawl space & shut the water off, take it all apart, and then just when I'd LIKE to take a shower before heading to town so that I can at least LOOK like a respectable person, I won't be able to because the water is shut off. I'm half tempted just to buy a new set of controls so that I can have the stuff to do the job BEFORE I get started....but that costs more than just fixing what's broke....so the shower keeps dripping.

I headed back to look at the doors. I've got to replace all 3 doors to the outside....front door doesn't line up right & either the latch catches, or I have to pry up on the bottom of the door from the inside to get it to catch. So, I installed a dead bolt which lines up when the door doesn't want to latch on it's own, but if it DOES decide to latch, the deadbolt won't line up. At least I can lock the damn thing....but I need to replace it. That and the stupid storm door has seen better days, too. Anyway, they've got storm doors that have the blinds in between 2 panels of glass. They have storm doors that the screen & windows are all self-contained...no more swapping out the glass for the screen & then storing the one that ain't in the door. They even had one that had a doggie door on it, so that when I'm home & the big door is open, Dozer could let himself in & out as he pleases without bothering ME every time he spots a bunny trespassing in the yard.

Finally, I start seeing interior trim type stuff, along with the tread pieces and risers....but still not seeing the stringers....so I keep wandering...but I STILL haven't found the back of the store.

I found some plans for decks & barns & garages & houses & just about anything else you could ever dream of building. I found 3 decks that I really like, so I got the plans for 'em....perhaps that'll be a project for next summer. I finally asked someone where I might find the stringers, because they weren't anywhere I had been and I really needed to find them. Turns out, they were out back in the outdoor lumber yard....inside the barn. Yup...just when you think the store couldn't POSSIBLY be any bigger, they've got more. I found someone out there who helped find the 4-step stringers...then got a 14' long 2x12 (and they even cut it in 4 pieces 3.5' long for me)....headed inside to the "value lumber" and found enough scrap pieces at less than $0.50/ea to make the new steps self-contained....ain't gonna be attached to the house so that they are easily slid out of the way whenever I need to access the crawl space. Now I need some deck screws to hold everything together...but that's in the tool section that I've been TRYING to avoid.

Of course once I was there, I had to see what all they had. Dies....several times now, I've been working on something and needed 1 specific size, and couldn't find them sold individually ANYWHERE....had to buy a set or not buy any at all. Menards had them individually, and a pretty good variety, too. Need to cut a section of pipe & thread the end? They had those dies, too. Ever hear of an air-powered CAULK gun? They've got those, too. Windshield washer fluid for less than $1/gallon...haven't seen that in quite some time (so I bought a case).

I'm probably forgetting to mention more than I've remembered to bring up here....oh yeah, FOOD! They had milk, frozen pizzas, ice cream, coffee, cereal, etc....everything a single guy could ever want/need. They had dog treats for Dozer...the good ones that only have 1 or 2 easy to understand ingredients. For example, one just says "Ingredients: Pork". I actually know what that is! How often can you read the ingredients label on ANYTHING anymore and know exactly what they're talking about. Books, magazines, greeting cards, you name it, they've probably got it.

Anyway, the quick "in & out" stop I had planned to make wound up taking me about 8 hours to complete....and I STILL don't think I saw everything they had in that store. It's a good thing I didn't have a wife & kids waiting for me here at the house or they would've filed a missing persons report on me.

I didn't do TOO bad, though....for all the looking around I did, I only spent $176. Picked up a TON of brochures for stuff I'd like to get at a future date....like this hot water faucet that had it's own auxiliary tank under the sink...capable of pouring 60 cups of 200 degree water per hour. Think about how quick & easy it would be to make instant oatmeal, hot cocoa, or even instant coffee (which isn't near as good as percolated coffee...but better than no coffee at all when you're running late & gotta leave 10 minutes ago)...

Like I said, I really need an adult chaperone to go with me to Menards from now on....somebody to grab me by the ear and say "it's time to leave" as they drag me back out to the truck... :blink: .

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

It's a good practice to cover many household needs in one place.

You just only need to look over all the stuff you bought in a week or two.

And to note what have you utilized and what you haven't a time for.

Next visit the shop remember things of what you bought and have to fit/rebuilt/remove/repaint/attach and so on.

It helps to avoid shop gasket overfill.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Is Menards simular to a Lowes or Home Depot? We don't have them here.

Very strong competitors.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I prefer Menard's - more "stuff" and slightly better (lower) prices than Home Depot which is lower than Lowes on most things. Good thing the closest Menard's is 20 miles away in a direction I normally do not go. :)

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

...like this hot water faucet that had it's own auxiliary tank under the sink...capable of pouring 60 cups of 200 degree water per hour. Think about how quick & easy it would be to make instant oatmeal, hot cocoa, or even instant coffee (which isn't near as good as percolated coffee...but better than no coffee at all when you're running late & gotta leave 10 minutes ago)...

The Menards started showing up around here about 4 years ago. I went in one to just take a look around and came out with that sink-instant hotwater set up. I use it every morning for my tea and I will shoot the person that tries to take it away - no more staring at the damn teapot waiting for the noise.

Years ago we used to deliver a lot of brick and block to the Menards stores all over northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin, and north western Indiana. Years of getting treated like dog poop only because you are driving the truck that is delivering the products that they sell, got old fast. I lived under a self imposed Menards ban for years. Then a couple of years ago they changed how they did things around here and all of the sudden you were spoke to like a human, and in and out in about an hour. Once and while you have a problem with one of their associates or it takes a while to get unloaded, but it is not every load like it used to be. I go in there every once in awhile ow days. I think you just have to watch what you are getting, they do seem to have lower quaility items once in awhile. -Brad

I think you just have to watch what you are getting, they do seem to have lower quaility items once in awhile. -Brad

I agree but that applies to most places these days. Too much stuff made "overseas".

Ken

Years ago we used to deliver a lot of brick and block to the Menards stores all over northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin, and north western Indiana. Years of getting treated like dog poop only because you are driving the truck that is delivering the products that they sell, got old fast. I lived under a self imposed Menards ban for years. Then a couple of years ago they changed how they did things around here and all of the sudden you were spoke to like a human, and in and out in about an hour. Once and while you have a problem with one of their associates or it takes a while to get unloaded, but it is not every load like it used to be. I go in there every once in awhile ow days. I think you just have to watch what you are getting, they do seem to have lower quaility items once in awhile. -Brad

...Years of getting treated like dog poop only because you are driving the truck that is delivering the products that they sell...

I've run into that for years, everywhere you go, delivering and picking up. Seems like all the world hates a truck driver for some reason. Guess that's why i'm a hateful ol' fart now,eh?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That's one of the reasons I fuel @ the smaller fuel stops & avoid the big chains like the plague. Seems the fuel desk people at pilot, t/a, flying j, loves, petro, etc. deal with so many company drivers who have no choice where they fuel or spend their money that they fail to provide decent customer service to the O/O's who are paying full price for their fuel. Guess what....Visa is accepted across the street at that little fuel stop that only has 1 diesel pump and a credit price 5 to 10 cents per gallon cheaper than your cash price....and they'll let me refill my mug with my beverage of choice for FREE with the fill-up....and several times, the owner of the place has been there and thanked me personally for my business.....

...none of that is gonna happen at the big chains. I take my business to stores where they appreciate their customers.

Sadly, customer service is lacking in a lot of retail stores. The local TSC is another one that has always appreciated my business & gone out of their way to make sure they did everything they could to keep me happy & coming back to spend more of my money there.

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

That's one of the reasons I fuel @ the smaller fuel stops & avoid the big chains like the plague. Seems the fuel desk people at pilot, t/a, flying j, loves, petro, etc. deal with so many company drivers who have no choice where they fuel or spend their money that they fail to provide decent customer service to the O/O's who are paying full price for their fuel. Guess what....Visa is accepted across the street at that little fuel stop that only has 1 diesel pump and a credit price 5 to 10 cents per gallon cheaper than your cash price....and they'll let me refill my mug with my beverage of choice for FREE with the fill-up....and several times, the owner of the place has been there and thanked me personally for my business.....

...none of that is gonna happen at the big chains. I take my business to stores where they appreciate their customers.

Sadly, customer service is lacking in a lot of retail stores. The local TSC is another one that has always appreciated my business & gone out of their way to make sure they did everything they could to keep me happy & coming back to spend more of my money there.

crap...out of likes again... I mean "Amen brother!"

• 4 months later...

Well, I'm getting better. Funny thing is, even though it was only my 2nd trip to the store (and the first time was almost 5 months ago), several of the employees recognized me.

Anyway, went in there to start my Christmas shopping. Saw something last time that I wanted to get for mom & dad...and bought a 2nd one for myself. It is a hot water faucet, with a 1/3 gallon tank under the sink that will dispense 40 cups of 200 degree water per hour...so mom won't have to wait for the tea kettle to heat up water for her tea in the morning, and dad can have his coffee quicker too (they have the coffee singles just like the tea bags...or he can use instant)...or oatmeal....or hot cocoa....or anything else that needs hot water.

I also bought a chair...it was on sale. I bought a computer desk a few days ago to put in the spare room that I'm cleaning out to turn into an office....got to get this silly computer off the coffee table. I waste more time in front of this stupid thing than I should...mostly because I can see both the TV and the computer monitor, so I sit here on the floor with my back to the couch and play on the computer while I watch TV and nothing else gets done. I figure if I move the computer into the spare room...maybe add a file cabinet or two...I can start keeping things a little more organized. Probably going to get a freezer for that room too...not sure if I'll go with an upright one or a chest freezer. Since the fiancy is short (5' nothing), the upright would probably work better for her....probably couldn't reach the bottom of a chest freezer without falling in. Also for that room, it's going to get a new door to the outside world.....a door with a window that has the blinds inside, and a doggy door for Dozer and her dog to let themselves in and out. Going to get a storm door, too, that has a doggy door on it....figure 2 doors with 2 flaps will do a better job keeping the weather out than just 1 door with a single flap. Then I priced rolls of chain link fencing...thinking a 6' H x 50' roll or two to fence in a good size chunk of yard off to the side of the house so that we can leave the dogs at home if we want to go out riding our motorcycles for a day or even go out overnight with the horses somewhere...and the dogs can let themselves outside to take care of business and let themselves back in to their food & water. Of course that'll also mean building either a deck or some steps outside of that door, too....

I also found some number stamps...I've had letter stamps for a while...but since these numbers were smaller than the letters I had, I bought the letters too. Now, when I build another trailer, I'll be able to stamp the VIN on it myself instead of taking the tongue & title to a locksmith to have him stamp it.

Oh yeah....and they had the single nozzles for the pressure washers. I had lost my soap nozzle the first time I tried to use it and Sears doesn't sell them individually....gotta buy all 5, which would really piss me off every time I see a duplicate that I shouldn't have had to buy sitting there on the shelf.

....and I priced some ladders. I've got a 6' ladder that's pretty decent...and an extension ladder that reaches up about 20' that might be suitable for a 10 year old kid to climb up....but not me. I was looking at some that reach 22-26 feet...some with multiple settings that can be used as A-frame ladders, extension ladders, scaffolds, etc...others that are just extension ladders....all of the ones I've been looking at are 300# rated, which is enough for me and a chainsaw with a little left over.

Anyway, like I said...I did better this time. I was only there for 6 hours today.... :pat:

6 hours?

I guess you do like that store. I wander around the local Lowe's for about 1 hour max.

Otherwise, I will start loading a cart

Hell, the first time I went, I was there for 8 and a half hours...so I'm getting better. That store is just SO big, and they have EVERYTHING (well, ALMOST everything....no guns, no ammo, and no beer, but pretty much everything else)...so I've got to wander around and start putting price tags on the various projects I want to undertake.

I'll do the same at TSC, except it is a MUCH smaller store, so it usually only takes me an hour to make my rounds there. Hell, most of the time when I go to TSC, I'm helping other customers find stuff because I've been there so many times and know where everything is. :whistling:

Of course when you live alone...and your choice is to wander the store where you might find people to talk to...or go home and not talk to anyone...well, that might have something to do with it, too. Heck, I got in trouble at a fuel stop the other day because I fueled up my truck, then got sidetracked on my way in talking to another driver. Next thing we know, the clerk is walking out thinking somebody pumped & left without paying because it had been AN HOUR since I had hung up the pump & still hadn't made it inside. :blush: 3 days later, I got to talking to a farmer inside another fuel stop while paying for my fuel for about 45 minutes before I made it back out to my truck. That worked out nicely, though, because it let the fog burn off a little so I could see where I was going when I left. The fiance hates that about me...if I can find something to talk to somebody about, the conversation can last forever...she deals with idiots all day, so she's content with not talking to anyone. To each their own... :idunno:

I went to Sears on Saturday to buy two (2) battery maintainers (on sale for $17.99)....well I walked out with six (6) maintainers (one cannot have too many of these), two (2) battery powered LED trouble lights (on sale half price)(one for OH and one for PA), and a battery powered hedge trimmer (for OH since I already have one in PA). I did all of this within an hour! My philosophy "go in, get it, pay for it, and get out"! :loldude:

• Like 1

Ken

My philosophy "go in, get it, pay for it, and get out"! :loldude:

mine too, unlike the way women shop- they go in the mall, look at the first thing they see,put it down,then go through every single item in every single store,then go back to the first thing they looked at when they first came in and buy it.

mine too, unlike the way women shop- they go in the mall, look at the first thing they see,put it down,then go through every single item in every single store,then go back to the first thing they looked at when they first came in and buy it.

And that is several hours later and sometimes on a separate trip! :thumbsdown:

Ken

I've only been to the local Menards a couple times. It's way over the other side of town so it's not easy to get to and a waste of fuel. I like my Lowe's, hate Home depot(never find anything in that god forsaken place). I did stop in Menards back when I was going my stretch job and broke my big 3/4" drill. Menards only had cheapo no name junk. I ended up at Lowes and got my Dewalt, paid a few more bucks for it, but I like the Dewalt tools I have so I stick with them. I didn't want to wait days for something over the internet!

Do like to browse Sears for a new tool ocassionally. Nothing big, but something I can spend pocket change on. I HATE the credit card hassle they throw at you every time you go to the cashier. NO, I don't want a card. Do you not accept cash anymore?? It's so bad the last time I stopped in to replace a couple missing sockets they wanted me to sign up to get $15 off my $10 purchase(basically get the sockets for free). Nope, didn't fall for it. Not cancelling the card next week, blah, blah, blah. I used to have a Sears card maybe 10 yrs ago. Even ended up with a second one somehow?? Cancelled them both. I just want to pay for my purchase and walk out. Ugh.

"Now I could prolly spend a few hours and dollars at Northern Tool."

I like their catalog and surf it constantly. Pretty big wish list, but likely never buy the big dollar items.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"