I don't have any experience with this particular DD engine. The vehicle in question has 188,000 miles which is probably not a lot for this engine assuming it was serviced regularly. Any comments or experiences that any of you might share would be greatly appreciated. Any reliability issues, for instance?

John

They were used in a lot of fire apparatus applications and I don't recall any particular issues with them other than they made the rig pretty fast.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

They are a very stable and reliable engine in generator applications. I haven't been around them much in truck applications but the 6V-92's, (I have one) when set to about 350hp are very stout IMO.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The absolute best engine in the world, Buy It! The only thing you have to do is not lug it. They love to run between 1800 and 2400 RPM, they can't be lugged. If they are run over 2500 RPM you can break a connecting rod and end up with what I call an "Aftermarket Access Hole". They leak lots of oil by design. They are two-stroke engines therefore, they are LOUD. But if you don't mind the sound (I love it) it will be the best engine you ever had. I has very low miles, so it should be in great condition. It could be anywhere from 400 to 650 horsepower depending on what injectors it has. How bout some pictures of the vehicle? I'd love to see it.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

You either love 'em or hate 'em. I Love them.

Ben

You got that right I think they are worthless but that is just my opinion. For a hobby truck it would be great but working ehhh just not my cup of tea. I do like the sound of the 8 V's though.

I scrapped a couple of old bi-state buses and a ex-st.louis fire truck with those engines in them this winter and the buses I think did turn the opposite direction than the firetruck did. They were fun for the kids to rev them out and hear them scream!

The fire truck had one of those added access holes in the side of the block already.

The engines from the buses went to a core buyer in Chicago. They had belt driven air compressors mounted about two feet off to the side that were huge! They are now pumping air in a couple of mechanic shops I sold them to. One guy is using a 500 gallon diesel fuel tank for the air reservoir - I am not going back there for a visit while it is under pressure!

One of the buses had a switch on the dash that said CURB LOADING. You flipped the switch and the whole bus dumped its air suspension and sat down on the ground for easy entry, and I mean DOWN on the ground. One son took some vise grips and closed off the lines going to the back so that only the front went up and down - it looked like a southern CA lowrider!

I also cut up some identical buses that had 8.3 cummins in them - I know which engine I would want to own of the two.

Jumper I wouldn't have wanted to be around you the night I took this picture, it was about 3 o'clock in the morning, (2) M45 Macks and a P12 Pacific, all powered by 16V-71's, pulling over 2 million pounds up a 2 mile 7% grade. There was more smoke comming out of the bottom of those engines than came out the exhaust. I think you would have lost your mind!

post-2383-0-28325800-1333734914_thumb.jp

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

One of the buses had a switch on the dash that said CURB LOADING. You flipped the switch and the whole bus dumped its air suspension and sat down on the ground for easy entry, and I mean DOWN on the ground.

You haven't lived until you have experienced fighting a fire in one of those buses when the air suspension blows out and sends the bus to ground level. Makes for a quick "pucker up" situation. Also makes for some one-armed firefighters if you aren't careful.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

You haven't lived until you have experienced fighting a fire in one of those buses when the air suspension blows out and sends the bus to ground level. Makes for a quick "pucker up" situation. Also makes for some one-armed firefighters if you aren't careful.

That old bus was a mid-80's model and had an original working hour meter that read over 80,000 hours - pretty impressive!. Even the frame was worn out with stress cracks everywhere, frame rivets rolling around in their holes.

It was ready to be set on fire!

Let's see; mid-eighties to now 25 years plus or minus, 8760 hours possible hours per year = 219,000 hours. 80,000/219,000 = 36% which means it ran over one third of the time or roughly eight hours per day, every day for 25 years. @ 30 mph it ran about 2.4 million miles. I'd call that reliable!

Let's see; mid-eighties to now 25 years plus or minus, 8760 hours possible hours per year = 219,000 hours. 80,000/219,000 = 36% which means it ran over one third of the time or roughly eight hours per day, every day for 25 years. @ 30 mph it ran about 2.4 million miles. I'd call that reliable!

Ha! I was doing the same thing in my head - I was guessing about 2000 hours per shift per year (52 weeks a year X 40) but I bet you are right - poor old bus had to work weekends and more than one driver per day!

I don't remember the mileage for sure, but it was less than one million - lots of idle time. Heck when you see them running at night with the lights on inside the bus, most times you see about three people in there - taxpayers are footing that bill.

As far as "best engine", there may be some resistance to that statement on here.

Friggen smoke-blowing, oil-leaking, loud noisy sumbitch overgrown lawn boys are all that they are. Best looking one I ever saw had a hole in the side of the block. Best sounding ones are the ones going away from me.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I drove a log truck with one back in the early 70s. It had stright pipes and sounded good in the morning leaving the house with a load about five am. Neighbors did not like it a lot. I was young and did not care lol. it had a 13 speed. It was sick coming out of the woods. Had to have a push most of the time.

Doug

The early 92 series were not the most reliable. I think 1979 was the year for the Silver 92 Series a big improvement but too late as the early ones (Jade Grenades) about put Detroit Diesel out of business. We bought a new Astro 95 in 1979 with 8V-92 forgot the name for it was between green and silver series it was OK. I have a 6V-92 in 1985 Freightliner COE to pull my old trucks with it works out good for my purpose. Like a V-8 Mack a 2 cycle Detroit have a great sound of their own. We had plenty of Detroits thru the years and they were good to us just as the Mack,Cummins and Cats were. Joe D.

The reverse rotation bus engines were a hit or miss. Some are, and some aren't. If it is reversed, that means that the bell housing is on what would usually be the front. You can take the power from either end. An inline two-stroke (3-53, 4-71, 6-71) could have the blower on the right side or the left, the exhaust on the right or left side, and could rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise. That's one of the things I like about the old DD's they were very universal.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

John The 92 Series with the cast aluminum valve covers are a pretty dry engine.Like I said in earlier post if silver series pretty reliable. If the one you bid on has the stamped covers just find a set of cast aluminum and new gaskets for it. I bought the ones for my 6V-92 from NAPA. Joe D.