Out for a drive:

Rob

Took the R model out tonight with the new "Remack" 2090 trans installed. Nice difference with a good lo hole that is much better than the original 2100. Good and quiet also. I expect the shifting will loosen up as we get a few miles on cause it is much tighter than what I'm accustomed to.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Took the R model out tonight with the new "Remack" 2090 trans installed. Nice difference with a good lo hole that is much better than the original 2100. Good and quiet also. I expect the shifting will loosen up as we get a few miles on cause it is much tighter than what I'm accustomed to.

Rob

Rob does that mean you are ready to take it to Macungie this year, glad it worked out ok for you. Ron

Rob does that mean you are ready to take it to Macungie this year, glad it worked out ok for you. Ron

Hi Ron, at this time I plan to make both the Springfield show, and Macungie. I'm going to drive my 74 RL797 out with a sleeper installed, (hopefully) and after Springfield, leave the truck at a friends house, come home, and return for Macungie. That is the plan anyways. I've already scheduled both time slots off from work.

Got some distant family to meet up with while out there.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Great!!! And no stories of walking for fuel??? Nice!
No but this truck has 1/2 bag of red fuel in the tanks. I need gravel at the shop badly so hopefully next week will work out well.....

Yeah, no leaks, no drips, no errors, (so far). I did replace the PTO driveshaft complete as it was beyond worn out, and patched the rt. fuel tank about 2/3rds around due to the bottom coming out of it when removed from the truck. I used a junk tank for the patch as it has the correct "roll" to it and welded in fine.

Rob

No but this truck has 1/2 bag of red fuel in the tanks. I need gravel at the shop badly so hopefully next week will work out well.....

Yeah, no leaks, no drips, no errors, (so far). I did replace the PTO driveshaft complete as it was beyond worn out, and patched the rt. fuel tank about 2/3rds around due to the bottom coming out of it when removed from the truck. I used a junk tank for the patch as it has the correct "roll" to it and welded in fine.

Rob

Rob, make sure the fuel caps are tight. Don't need and crazy ladies following you home!

Rob, make sure the fuel caps are tight. Don't need and crazy ladies following you home!

That's funny; I meant to update you folks on that situation. Her insurance agent, (whom I've known for several years) called me the middle of the next week asking what happened. He said she was hysterical about the situation and I was very rude and belligerant towards her denying any fault. Said she felt threatened by me and fearing for her safety departed my shop striking the tree. Believe that shit???? I said "Brian, how long you known me"? He cut me off and said she is erratic in behaviour so I just need you to say if I feel I were at fault or not. I told him "no" I was not at fault and filled him in about the fuel spray, her tailgating, her "railing" on me before saying anything else, and I had the intention of offering a full detail of the car for her inconvienience before she really went off on me. He then told me this new Altima was a replacement for another Altima she wrecked bitching at, and fighting with her ex husband as she ran under the rear of a fuel delivery truck totaling the car. She really got the rates jacked over that one.

Anyways long story short is he pushed the claim as it was on her liability. I have a arborist coming to the shop Wednesday morning to evaluate the tree for damage. I may take some compensation for the damage and donate it to a local charity which I support quite heavily.

Rob

Hi Ron, at this time I plan to make both the Springfield show, and Macungie. I'm going to drive my 74 RL797 out with a sleeper installed, (hopefully) and after Springfield, leave the truck at a friends house, come home, and return for Macungie. That is the plan anyways. I've already scheduled both time slots off from work.

Got some distant family to meet up with while out there.

Rob

You can leave it at my house "buddy"! :twothumbsup:

and fighting with her ex husband as she ran under the rear of a fuel delivery truck totaling the car.

Ahhh, I see he got smart and ran away from that one?? Gee, she seems like such a nice lady....................NOT. LOL!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

one thing you want to remember on shifting a 2090,don't use 5th in the low side,shift 1,2,3,4,pull up selector and go back into 1st(5th),then 6,7,8,9.Mack revised the shift pattern to this on the 2090's shortly after introduction,but alot of people still shifted them in a normal 9 speed pattern,that why alot of 2090's suffered from syncronizer problems.Try it both ways and you can tell the difference.

one thing you want to remember on shifting a 2090,don't use 5th in the low side,shift 1,2,3,4,pull up selector and go back into 1st(5th),then 6,7,8,9.Mack revised the shift pattern to this on the 2090's shortly after introduction,but alot of people still shifted them in a normal 9 speed pattern,that why alot of 2090's suffered from syncronizer problems.Try it both ways and you can tell the difference.

Thanks Mike. I tried both ways and was having difficulty unless driving it like a standard nine speed. This trans is a straight T2090 without any suffix on the end. I'll be driving it again tonight and may drag my trailer along for some weight. This truck has taperleaf springs in the rear with an air ride cab and really rides quite well but is so soft it screws with my familiarity.

Rob

So she drives under a fuel truck and tailgates another that's leaking diesel. She must enjoy sniffing the fumes, maybe DUI by the time she hit your tree. At least she's paying for her stupidity.

The information I got on her through the conversation was kinda funny, but ironic. Her insurance agent and I co sponsored a charity golf outing for several years and became quite good friends. We still talk occasionally now that I'm retired from the autobody business, (yeah, right).

Incidently; I don't golf. Never could reconcile the effort to put a little white ball in a four inch hole 400 yards away through the trees!!!

Rob

Thanks Mike. I tried both ways and was having difficulty unless driving it like a standard nine speed. This trans is a straight T2090 without any suffix on the end. I'll be driving it again tonight and may drag my trailer along for some weight. This truck has taperleaf springs in the rear with an air ride cab and really rides quite well but is so soft it screws with my familiarity.

Rob

Pictures Rob!!! Don't forget pictures.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Incidently; I don't golf. Never could reconcile the effort to put a little white ball in a four inch hole 400 yards away through the trees!!!

No one seems to explain golf better than this here feller:

(tell the youngins to cover their ears)

• Like 1

Terry

Julian, PA

Rob

Rob, nothing wrong with a soft screw after a long day......my mind is in the gutter this evening better let my better half know!

Rob, nothing wrong with a soft screw after a long day......my mind is in the gutter this evening better let my better half know!

Depends on who and how quickly things get "soft" I suppose.

"Momma" has swore the next time I pop a "stiffee" she is gonna throw a can of shellac on it so it stays that way.

Rob

Rob my 9 speed was a reman when i put it to work and the shifter was stiff and now maybe 140000 miles later it is just right. Only thing strange is it pushs grease out of top of the shifter stick and for sure the vent is open. i spent a few hrs trying figure this out. The pto is not leaking air and i have tried 85/90 as well as 140W in it.Its like a gears is throwing the oil upward to the shifter.My manual tells two different ways of shifting a 9 speed and i will look some more on which one which way. I shift it both ways and not a bit of difference that i can tell.

glenn akers

Rob my 9 speed was a reman when i put it to work and the shifter was stiff and now maybe 140000 miles later it is just right. Only thing strange is it pushs grease out of top of the shifter stick and for sure the vent is open. i spent a few hrs trying figure this out. The pto is not leaking air and i have tried 85/90 as well as 140W in it.Its like a gears is throwing the oil upward to the shifter.My manual tells two different ways of shifting a 9 speed and i will look some more on which one which way. I shift it both ways and not a bit of difference that i can tell.

Yes Glenn I would appreciate any more help on this shift pattern.

I didn't drive the truck tonight as when I went to move the truck the steering wheel was binding. It comes to the upper bearing in the steering column is locked up so I'm trying to take the column apart with the steering wheel pulled now. I have another column but it's tan color and if the upper bearing is common, I'll get another tomorrow.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I never did update this thread. I did install both upper and lower bearings into the original steering column. This took care of the binding problems complete. Also got the truck inspected on Saturday morning after it failed for miscellaneous problems like brakes too thin, mudflaps too far from pavement, broken shock absorber on rear...... I removed the shocks, installed new flap hangers and flaps, adjusted the brakes up tight, purchased new flags, triangles, and fire extinguisher and a couple other little things and had no problems.

I then took the truck to the owner's place, backed under an aluminum dump trailer, got familiar with the truck now that it had somewhat of a load, and then proceeded to the fertilizer plant where they dumped 20 tons into the trailer. This is where I can tell you I really like this T2090 Mack nine speed transmission. No hop, jerk, or argument from this thing at all; just smooth on all the upshifts, and downshifts. The splitter does work well when up to the right, pull the range up, and go back to the low, or first gear position. This takes some getting used to as the natural rythym is to go down from fourth to fifth, then pull the splitter. I will tell you that 300 Mack engine has enough power to do the job for the weight it was pulling. The brakes stopped the load very well also so was a good day. I then took off for Chicago to be with my granddaughters and all the family mentioned earlier today.

Glad to have that thing gone. I have a wreck to start tomorrow after work and will continue to try to get my RL797LST going for the Springfield, and Macungie shows later this summer.

Rob

Good to hear your hard work is paying off.

Is that the 285 hp engine in front of the 9 speed?

I don't really know what engine it is. The truck is an 88 R690 and originally had a straight five speed of which the former owner changed to a T2100 ten speed. It was too high geared in the low range and hence I installed the nine speed. Most of the 690 series trucks had 300's in them and this one is chassis mount CAC.

Rob

I drove an '89 R690T with an EM6-250L that had a 5 speed. I believe 275 and 300 hp versions were available at that time.

I was wondering how the 9 speed worked with a torque curve designed for a 5 spd. I thought if the engine were allowed to lug down as usual, dropping a gear on the 9 speed would bring it back up to the middle of the power band and allow a higher road speed. I've read however (possibly on here) that it just doesn't work wel as a 5 spd.

Jim

I drove an '89 R690T with an EM6-250L that had a 5 speed. I believe 275 and 300 hp versions were available at that time.

I was wondering how the 9 speed worked with a torque curve designed for a 5 spd. I thought if the engine were allowed to lug down as usual, dropping a gear on the 9 speed would bring it back up to the middle of the power band and allow a higher road speed. I've read however (possibly on here) that it just doesn't work wel as a 5 spd.

Don't know about you guys but that 9 speed to me is junk. Much rather have the straight 5 over the 9 any day.